People that never come back (to the forum !)

General info, hints, guidelines and rules for all XnView forums. Guests and new users please read here first.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

michel038
XnThusiast

People that never come back (to the forum !)

Post by michel038 »

Some people ask a question, and they never come back here, it's time consuming for us ...
How can this be avoided?

- if someone has answered their question, maybe a robot could send them an email to encourage them to read the post and reply (default email notification enable for 10 days ? )
- another way coud be to validate a submission only 24 hours later
- automatic answer for first post : "please come back here yyy-mm-dd to validate your question"
- other solutions ?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: People that never come back (to the forum !)

Post by xnview »

when an user reply to a post, he receive by default a notification already :(
Pierre.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

michel038 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:11 pm Some people ask a question, and they never come back here, it's time consuming for us ...
Yes, it can be frustrating, especially when one has spent significant time preparing a response or multiple responses... :(

But I don't see a solution other than to accept it as normal, sometimes people may read a response but not post again, sometimes they may not even come back to see if there has been a response, if they have maybe already found a solution to their need. And if they do check the forum without logging in, there is no way to know that they have done so...

xnview wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:30 pm when an user reply to a post, he receive by default a notification already :(
Is that correct? I though there was an option in the profile to enable that, but on a rare visit to my profile I couldn't see it, although it may be there. But enabled by default? I've never received one, although I can't be sure how I set up my account originally. I don't want notifications myself.

michel038 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:11 pm How can this be avoided?

- if someone has answered their question, maybe a robot could send them an email to encourage them to read the post and reply (default email notification enable for 10 days ? )
- another way coud be to validate a submission only 24 hours later
- automatic answer for first post : "please come back here yyy-mm-dd to validate your question"
Those options would I think need to be added by phpBB the forum software platform, they have a forum where it could be suggested...

You could possibly put a request for people to acknowledge your posts in your signature, but I doubt if it would be very effective, and not if they don't return to check if there has been a response; in your case your signature is already full with links to the valuable resources you kindly provide! :D
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

Yes, it can be frustrating, especially when one has spent significant time preparing a response or multiple responses...
thank you for this kind answer, by sharing the disappointment I feel less lonely
And if they do check the forum without logging in, there is no way to know that they have done so...
I hope
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

@michel038

Two further points:

1. People quite often do respond to a post but only after a long delay, often apologising profusely for the delay. :D

2. One thing that you could do that might be reasonably effective, would be to place some standard text at the bottom of your posts designed to encourage a reply, maybe something like:

Please post a reply to my post - it helps motivate me to offer support... :D

I would use blue type (for example, and maybe not red...) so that the plea is noticed.

Something like that.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

cday wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:04 am
xnview wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:30 pmwhen an user reply to a post, he receive by default a notification already :(
Is that correct? I though there was an option in the profile to enable that, but on a rare visit to my profile I couldn't see it, although it may be there. But enabled by default? I've never received one, although I can't be sure how I set up my account originally. I don't want notifications myself.
To my surprise, reply notifications seem to be deactivated by default:
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3.3/kb/article/changing-user-options-defaults-and-values wrote:

Code: Select all

'user_notify'        => 0,
'user_notify_pm'     => 1,
'user_notify_type'   => NOTIFY_EMAIL,
How to change default notifications settings
Humbug

Post by Humbug »

XnTriq wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:45 am To my surprise, reply notifications seem to be deactivated by default:
That is true.
I am such a "new" user, that opened a new thread and never came back. Because... I got no notifications. :(
When creating the thread, I ticked the checkbox at the bottom of the dialog "Notify me when a reply is posted".
It was activated, but nevertheless I got no email notifications (which I check daily), even there were several answers in the thread.

With the help of this thread I found out, that there are additional "notification options". There the checkboxes for "email" were not ticked at all. :shock:
I ticked them now and will see, if I´ll get email notifications :wink:

Edit: By default at least the email notification option "Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed" and "Someone replies to a topic you have bookmarked" should be activated. Today one is "active" in so many forums, that he can not revisit them all regularly. A created thread sould be kind of "fire and forget". It should show up (in my mailbox) by default, if there is a reply.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

This continues to be a problem :-|
https://www.stackoverflow.com/questions/69830397#comment123725224_69975183 wrote:Oh wow I hadn't realized that the xnview message board was continuing like that. Weird I wasn't getting any notifications about it!
@Pierre: Please take a look at the phpBB knowledge base article mentioned in my previous post, if your time allows you to.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

XnTriq wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:30 am @Pierre: Please take a look at the phpBB knowledge base article mentioned in my previous post, if your time allows you to.
So by default you would like that notification is enabled by mail, right?
Pierre.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

xnview wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:03 amSo by default you would like that notification is enabled by mail, right?
Yes, exactly.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

changed, do you think that i need to change it for current users?
Pierre.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

xnview wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:40 pmchanged, do you think that i need to change it for current users?
Thank you, Pierre! Let's leave it at that for now. Some old users might consider this to be spamming.