Optimum settings for output to WebP

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Femur

Optimum settings for output to WebP

Post by Femur »

Hi,

I've used XnView happily for the past year and am now trying out XnConvert. I want to use it to make Webp files, but can't seem to find information about some of the settings.

Compression Method.
Filter Strength
Filter sharpness

I haven't been able to find any information about these. Can someone point me in the right direction or let me know?

Thanks!
zylstra

Re: Converting to Webp - Newbie help

Post by zylstra »

I would like to know this as well.

@Femur, perhaps you should edit you title to something more informative, like "What do the numerical settings for Compression Method, Filter Strength, and Filter Sharpness correspond to?"
Tapio

Re: Optimum settings for output to WebP

Post by Tapio »

-m int
Specify the compression method to use. This parameter controls the trade off between encoding speed and the compressed file size and quality. Possible values range from 0 to 6. Default value is 4. When higher values are used, the encoder will spend more time inspecting additional encoding possibilities and decide on the quality gain. Lower value can result in faster processing time at the expense of larger file size and lower compression quality.

-f int
Specify the strength of the deblocking filter, between 0 (no filtering) and 100 (maximum filtering). A value of 0 will turn off any filtering. Higher value will increase the strength of the filtering process applied after decoding the picture. The higher the value the smoother the picture will appear. Typical values are usually in the range of 20 to 50.

-sharpness int
Specify the sharpness of the filtering (if used). Range is 0 (sharpest) to 7 (least sharp). Default is 0.
https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/cwebp