Sudden Change In Preview Behaviour

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Sterling101

Sudden Change In Preview Behaviour

Post by Sterling101 »

Hi folks,

My first post here but the program has been working so well I've not needed to post anything!

A few days ago when I was doing some batch conversions of images for adding my watermark I noticed that the preview window would only show the first image in the list.
It shows multiple images to be flicked through using the arrows but each one is just the first item even thought the number changes.

I upgraded to 1.85.1 this morning and the problem is still there, only now I can't see my overlays on the image - only the first image as it has been imported with no watermarks at all.
If I switch between before and after it just zooms the after image in (due to a resize I do on the image).

Anybody got any clues? I'd use the search function but it's woefully poor on this forum software it seems....

Cheers,

Leigh

EDIT: - Just thought - I'm running Ubuntu 20.04 64 Bit and Cinnamon desktop on a Lenovo T420 laptop (Intel I5 and onboard graphics) if that makes any difference.
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Sudden Change In Preview Behaviour

Post by cday »

Sterling101 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:30 am A few days ago when I was doing some batch conversions of images for adding my watermark I noticed that the preview window would only show the first image in the list.
It shows multiple images to be flicked through using the arrows but each one is just the first item even thought the number changes.
A multipage file? I think from memory that previewing the images of multipage files is currently not supported, an issue I think I have reported myself at least once; what is needed is to add small arrows, like those in the XnView MP viewer window, to allow stepping through the pages.

I upgraded to 1.85.1 this morning and the problem is still there, only now I can't see my overlays on the image - only the first image as it has been imported with no watermarks at all. If I switch between before and after it just zooms the after image in (due to a resize I do on the image).
No immediate thoughts, and ultimately I have finite time to investigate problems, unfortunately very few users do provide any support, with a small number of very notable exceptions. :( :D

I'd use the search function but it's woefully poor on this forum software it seems...
Certainly woefully poor in certain respects, a well-designed Google search is usually much more productive, if you try searching for something like 'xnconvert cday preview multipage file' you might possibly find my, I think, earlier post or posts... :?:

EDIT: - Just thought - I'm running Ubuntu 20.04 64 Bit and Cinnamon desktop on a Lenovo T420 laptop (Intel I5 and onboard graphics) if that makes any difference.
I doubt it, life is complicated enough as it is, I'm on Linux Mint Cinnamon these days anyway.
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

cday wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:01 pm A multipage file? I think from memory that previewing the images of multipage files is currently not supported, an issue I think I have reported myself at least once; what is needed is to add small arrows, like those in the XnView MP viewer window, to allow stepping through the pages.
Not a multipage file, just individual images that I added to the file list.

I've just done a quick screen grab using a couple of random photos to show what is happening - there's no problem with the outputted files at all, only with the preview which is kind of important to me as I use it to judge if anything needs moving around with my watermarks on the photos.
You can view the video here - https://youtu.be/TGPsnThOXUU
Certainly woefully poor in certain respects, a well-designed Google search is usually much more productive, if you try searching for something like 'xnconvert cday preview multipage file' you might possibly find my, I think, earlier post or posts... :?:
Another forum I use a lot runs the same software and we always use a google site search to find what we need but not 100% knowing exactly what I'm looking for I figured it was easier to just ask the question :)
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

To give you a quick response:

I always have a problem with videos although they seem to help other people, usually they run too fast but that isn't an issue with yours, simply that I prefer to be able to step through the steps and take my time studying them, something personal, I think. But please don't spend any time trying to work around that!

To complicate matters, recently I haven't always installed new versions of XnConvert and more particularly XnView MP due to all the problems with missing dependencies and the number of alternative Linux downloads; the Flatpak links to the current versions actually download earlier versions of each, which hasn't been corrected despite having been pointed out several times. If there is a regression in the versions you have tried Pierre would have to confirm that and ultimately provide a fix.

Sterling101 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:33 pmAnother forum I use a lot runs the same software and we always use a google site search to find what we need but not 100% knowing exactly what I'm looking for I figured it was easier to just ask the question :)
No problem.

Could anyone else please see if they can confirm the reported issue?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

I read your first post again and the text seemed clear enough, I've now tested with XnConvert 1.80, and if I do understand correctly there is no problem previewing successive images; I've also located my Appimage 1.85.1 download and that also displays previews as expected.

I loaded two files, selected a nominal action [rotate 90 degrees] which probably wasn't actually required, and I can step through previews of the result on each file as expected.

So either I am misunderstanding, or there is some other explanation??

Edit:

There is sometimes a longstanding and so far little understood issue with preview: normally a preview is displayed automatically, but occasionally in unidentified circumstances a preview is only displayed after clicking on the small arrow in the narrow vertical bar to the left of the preview window; not obviously a possible explanation as the first file is previewed, but something you might keep in mind.

You also said that the output files are produced normally, but have you tried loading different files even though it isn't obviously logical?

Could you also test whether the issue exists with an action other than watermark, in case there has been a regression after some work on that action, by no means unknown? :wink:

Otherwise, if possible please upload two test images, and if relevant a watermark file (any that can be used to test), and post the steps required to reproduce.