Keep original image if file size is smaller

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

bloodyscreensoreal

Keep original image if file size is smaller

Post by bloodyscreensoreal »

Let me start of by saying that this is truly the best Image Conversion I know! I have searched for a long time but almost everything here is useful!

But I have one thing that would make it even more useful. That is: retract conversion, if the new converted file size is bigger. What i mean by that is that XnConvert basically converts the image and then checks both image sizes and then chooses to keep the original image if the new file has a bigger file size than the old image.

(I enabled the option to "Delete Original" and Output->Source folder under the Output tab so the old files automagically get replaced by the new converted one's. By adding this option to 'Keeps the Original Image, if new Image has a larger size'., it would make the process even more smooth!)
ttrx

Re: Keep original image if file size is smaller

Post by ttrx »

Just a second ago sent same request.. sorry for duplicate. Any official reply on this suggestion?
bloodyscreensoreal

ttrx wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:10 pm Just a second ago sent same request.. sorry for duplicate. Any official reply on this suggestion?
unfortunately not..
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

bloodyscreensoreal wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:06 pm
ttrx wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:10 pm Just a second ago sent same request.. sorry for duplicate. Any official reply on this suggestion?
unfortunately not..
Not yet... :(

But I think there could possibly be a response to your original request when Pierre has time, I think it could be easily implemented and a significant selling point for XnConvert... :D
bloodyscreensoreal

cday wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:30 pm
bloodyscreensoreal wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:06 pm
unfortunately not..
Not yet... :(

But I think there could possibly be a response to your original request when Pierre has time, I think it could be easily implemented and a significant selling point for XnConvert... :D
Still hoping.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

this option will be available only with 'Delete original', right?
Pierre.
bloodyscreensoreal

xnview wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:59 am this option will be available only with 'Delete original', right?
Yes. The idea is: after converting an image, it checks if the new converted image has a smaller file size and if that isn't the case than it keeps the original image. If new the images is smaller, then it deletes the original but keeps the new one.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

If someone is converting into a different folder they would probably want to retain the original files, and just create a new folder of converted files where the 'conditional conversion' criterion has been applied... In that case 'Delete original' would not be selected.

If someone is converting into the input folder, they can use the 'Delete original' option if the wish.

Some careful thought is needed, both now and also to avoid confusion if this potentially useful enhancement is implemented!

Edit:

'File size is smaller' seems like a special case of the general 'conditional conversion' option recently successfully added to NConvert, where file size can be compared with a specified value in bytes. I think it would therefore probably be best implemented as a condition that can be selected in a general 'Conditional conversion' section on the Output tab.

See Suggestion: 'Conditional conversion' option
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

More...

I think that if this is considered in the context of 'conditional conversion', with the condition being that the original file is used when the file size is smaller, the files output are determined solely by the specified condition, and the 'Delete original' option is immaterial and wouldn't be tested...
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Thinking again:

The output files will be determined solely by the specified condition but if someone, converting into the input folder or a separate folder, wishes to delete the original files that is no problem, but when the orignal file is smaller it must of course either remain or be replaced by a copy...
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

cday wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:58 pm 'File size is smaller' seems like a special case of the general 'conditional conversion' option recently successfully added to NConvert, where file size can be compared with a specified value in bytes. I think it would therefore probably be best implemented as a condition that can be selected in a general 'Conditional conversion' section on the Output tab.

See Suggestion: 'Conditional conversion' option
In NConvert, it's original file size used, not output file size.

here, i need to save the file before to know if we need to keep it. But if we use 'overwrite' mode, a temp file must be written.
Pierre.
scippy

Post by scippy »

Hi!
Any news about this missing feature?