[Feature Request] 2-bit BMP export

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

sd_snatcher

[Feature Request] 2-bit BMP export

Post by sd_snatcher »

Nowadays, XnConvert can read 2-bit BMP files (aka 4-color BMPs), which is great, but sadly it can't export BMP files in this color depth.

This makes it impossible to generate BMP files for the Windows CE.

Please implement support to export 2-bit BMP files.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: [Feature Request] 2-bit BMP export

Post by xnview »

sd_snatcher wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:42 am This makes it impossible to generate BMP files for the Windows CE.
you use always a Windows CE??
Pierre.
sd_snatcher

Post by sd_snatcher »

My case is more specific. I have another software that takes this 2-bit BMP format as the input to generate another legacy image format. :)

It may sound weird, but I'm one of the contributors for the Retro gallery. This means we have to deal with a lot of legacy image formats in order to preserve them in their native files. Please pay a visit to see if you like the project.

It's funny how there were a lot of music preservation formats in native files (.AY, .MOD, .SPC), but nothing similar for images until now.
sd_snatcher

Post by sd_snatcher »

No news about this? As you can see, there are other devices that need support for 2bpp BMPs, like e-paper displays:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/357 ... yscale-bmp
sd_snatcher

Post by sd_snatcher »

Curiously enough, XnConvert always save indexed-color BMP files as 8bpp, while XnView saves 16 color BMP files as 4bpp.

Is this a bug on XnConvert?
sd_snatcher

Post by sd_snatcher »

A tip for anyone that needs this feature: meanwhile, the alternative is to use another converter: BMP BPP Converter

It can convert an 8bpp BMP to 4bpp, or a 4bpp BMP to 2bpp. The source code is included.