Please add additional JPEG encoders like MozJPEG and Guetzli!

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux
Post Reply
damian101
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:43 am

Please add additional JPEG encoders like MozJPEG and Guetzli!

Post by damian101 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:53 pm

It would be nice if you could add the option to change the encoder in JPEG settings.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 29744
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Please add additional JPEG encoders like MozJPEG and Guetzli!

Post by xnview » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:41 pm

damian101 wrote:It would be nice if you could add the option to change the encoder in JPEG settings.
Guetzli is already added
Pierre.

cday
XnThusiast
Posts: 1768
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Cheltenham, U.K.

Re: Please add additional JPEG encoders like MozJPEG and Guetzli!

Post by cday » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:06 pm

xnview wrote:
damian101 wrote:It would be nice if you could add the option to change the encoder in JPEG settings.
Guetzli is already added
Added in XnView MP 0.89 viewer and batch convert, but not yet in XnConvert (1.76 current version) ?

Note: included as a separate 'JPEG Guetzli' entry, and a source file size limit as been identified (thread somewhere...)

Danny
Posts: 560
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:09 pm

Re: Please add additional JPEG encoders like MozJPEG and Guetzli!

Post by Danny » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:59 pm

+1 for MozJPEG

Guetzli is good at compression, but takes literally forever to encode with, neither supports progressive encoding nor color profiles. MozJPEG is about as good at compression and supports the other 2 things I mentioned while being a lot faster than Guetzli.

Couldn't this be implemented like a new image format? So in the dropdown it shows up next to normal JPEG encoding? I'm especially interested in support in XnConvert.

https://www.pixelz.com/blog/guetzli-mozjpeg-comparison/
Get the bugs fixed, THEN start adding features. It sucks, but someone has to do it.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 29744
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Please add additional JPEG encoders like MozJPEG and Guetzli!

Post by xnview » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:35 am

Danny wrote:+1 for MozJPEG

Guetzli is good at compression, but takes literally forever to encode with, neither supports progressive encoding nor color profiles. MozJPEG is about as good at compression and supports the other 2 things I mentioned while being a lot faster than Guetzli.

Couldn't this be implemented like a new image format? So in the dropdown it shows up next to normal JPEG encoding? I'm especially interested in support in XnConvert.

https://www.pixelz.com/blog/guetzli-mozjpeg-comparison/
What about an optimization feature (post-processing) with support of Guetzli, MozJPEG, JpegOptim, PNGOUT, PNGCRUSH, OptiPNG??
Pierre.

Danny
Posts: 560
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:09 pm

Re: Please add additional JPEG encoders like MozJPEG and Guetzli!

Post by Danny » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:28 pm

xnview wrote:What about an optimization feature (post-processing) with support of Guetzli, MozJPEG, JpegOptim, PNGOUT, PNGCRUSH, OptiPNG??
Not exactly sure what you're picturing, but yeah. Something along those lines. As long as there is no quality reduction through re-encoding of JPEGs involved.
Get the bugs fixed, THEN start adding features. It sucks, but someone has to do it.

damian101
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:43 am

Re: Please add additional JPEG encoders like MozJPEG and Guetzli!

Post by damian101 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:42 am

xnview wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:35 am
Danny wrote:+1 for MozJPEG

Guetzli is good at compression, but takes literally forever to encode with, neither supports progressive encoding nor color profiles. MozJPEG is about as good at compression and supports the other 2 things I mentioned while being a lot faster than Guetzli.

Couldn't this be implemented like a new image format? So in the dropdown it shows up next to normal JPEG encoding? I'm especially interested in support in XnConvert.

https://www.pixelz.com/blog/guetzli-mozjpeg-comparison/
What about an optimization feature (post-processing) with support of Guetzli, MozJPEG, JpegOptim, PNGOUT, PNGCRUSH, OptiPNG??
Just to avoid misconceptions:
Guetzli and MozJPEG are alternative JPEG encoders, any conversion will result in quality loss as JPEG has no lossless mode. JpegOptim can transcode a JPEG without loosing any image information (lossless compression).
PNGOUT, PNGCRUSH and OptiPNG can also do lossless PNG encoding/compression.
GUI for the Guetzli converter: https://www.guetzliconverter.net
GUI for the MozJPEG converter (online and limited only): https://mozjpeg.codelove.de
GUI for JPEGOptim: http://www.romeolight.com/products/jpegmicro/
GUI for best PNG compression: https://pnggauntlet.com

I am not shure what you mean by optimization feature? The only tools that make sense for post-processing are tools like JPEGOptim and of course all lossless encoders. I also think all of these encoders should be implemented in XnConvert and for every JPEG encoder, there should be the option to run it through JPEGOptim after encoding (MozJPEG does this by default).

Post Reply