AutoCrop White Space

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

jasonwilliams

AutoCrop White Space

Post by jasonwilliams »

Hello,

I have several hundred photos that were scanned with a flatbed on 8.5x11 setting which resulted in white space around the 4x6 photos. I tried using auto crop with white and nothing is cropped from the image. The pictures are top left oriented. Can anyone help?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Crop White Space

Post by xnview »

even if you change tolerance?
Pierre.
jasonwilliams

Post by jasonwilliams »

Yes, I tried upping the tolerance slowly to max at 199, but still nothing is cropped in the preview.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

xnview wrote:even if you change tolerance?
Some tips:

o It may be necessary to try quite, or even very large, tolerance values to obtain the best result that is achievable.

o The autocrop functions that are readily available can often be defeated by [even a single?] dark pixel outside the desired image area: they fall well below what the human brain can achieve!

o Although XnConvert generally displays a preview of selected actions automatically, sometimes it seems to be necessary to click on the small black arrow in the column below the 'Preview' text to see the preview.

o You may well be able to obtain better results if your images are consistently located on the background canvas if you perform a crop action before using autocrop in order to reduce the image area, and particularly to remove possible dark pixels at the edges of the input images.

It is often necessary to experiment in order to obtain the best results achievable...