Compression of Files

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Tsficl

Compression of Files

Post by Tsficl »

Hi,

Thanks for creating such a great programme.

I am converting a directory of TIF files into a multipage PDF.

The following command works fine: nconvert -multi -c 4 -q 85 -out pdf -o test.pdf "c:\folder\*.tif"

However, the size of the output PDF (2.8 MB) is much larger than the combined size of the original TIFs (976 Kb)

The original TIF files are compressed in CCITT T.6 according to Properties.

When I convert them with Adobe Acrobat or ABBYY Finereader, the size of the PDF is only 619 Kb.

Could you please advise what setting to change to convert them so the file size does not dramatically increase?

Thank you

P.S. I attached the TIF files below in case anyone needs these to test.
files.zip
(840.9 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Compression of Files

Post by cday »

The -c 4 term in your code creates a PDF file using ZIP compression, but for a smaller file size you need 'Fax' compression which is another name for CCITT G4 compression, the compression used in the input TIFF files...

Please try this code:

Code: Select all

nconvert -multi -c 1 -q 85 -out pdf -o test.pdf "c:\folder\*.tif"
Edit:

Are you using Windows, as I thought there was a problem using wildcards and quotes together on the input term?
Tsficl

Post by Tsficl »

Thank you very much. Yes, I'm using Windows, and using *.tif with " seems to work fine.

nconvert -multi -c 1 -q 85 -out pdf -o test.pdf "C:\Users\user\Desktop\back\files\*.tif" is the exact command I'm using and it works just fine. Thanks
Tsficl

Post by Tsficl »

One more thing, please.

I have looked at the help file, but I'm not quite sure how to do these things.

Say the structure is like this:

/ 1
// a
// b

and both a and b have TIFS in them.

I would like the command to be recursive and convert the TIFS in a and b into separate multipage PDFs, which are then saved in another directory.

I also tried running the following from the command line in /1

FOR /d /r %x IN (*.tif) DO nconvert -multi -c 1 -q 85 -out pdf -o %x %x\*.tif

but that doesn't work.

Thanks for any help.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

I don't know whether that is possible, although I suspect it might be using wildcards in the input term, maybe something like \*\*.tif.

Best to start a new thread, one topic per thread works best, and a new thread is more likely to get Pierre's attention...

Note:

You have posted under the XnConvert (the GUI batch convert software) forum heading, could you please post the new thread under the NConvert heading... :wink: