General topic for help with translation

Translation of On-Screen texts of XnView MP and XnConvert

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xnview
Author of XnView

Re: General topic for help with translation

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:26 pm "Fix alpha channel"
Setting "Fix alpha channel" can be found in Settings > Interface > Formats, Tab Read > PDS.
What does this setting do? Is "Fix" in the meaning of "repair" or "fix" in the meaning of "not changeable" (would rather be "fixed", then)?
It's a setting for a workaround problem with alpha channel of PSD
"'Hot folders' process files"
Setting "'Hot folders' process files" is located in "Batch convert" dialog on "Settings" tab.
What does this setting do?
With 'hot folders', new files are processed
"...Text size.."
In the help text the term "Text size" is used. Is "Text size" the size you set in percent in the dialog?
yes
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

In XnView 0.96, there's new functionality with new labels. There are four labels
To the left
To the right
To the top
To the bottom

Where in XnView can I find these labels "in action"? Is the meaning "Towards the left side" or is it "On the left side"?
Peter2
XnThusiast

Post by Peter2 »

It is under (Image Menu) - Bearbeiten - Paste special - ....
XnViewMP 1.6.5 German, XnConvert 1.99, Win 10
helmut

Post by helmut »

Peter2 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:33 am It is under (Image Menu) - Bearbeiten - Paste special - ....
Ah, yes! Thank you, Peter!
helmut

Post by helmut »

XnView 0.99.7:
In XnView 0.99.7 there's a label "Show source panels". What is a "Source panel"? Is there perhaps a topic with details about "Source panels"?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:42 pm XnView 0.99.7:
In XnView 0.99.7 there's a label "Show source panels". What is a "Source panel"? Is there perhaps a topic with details about "Source panels"?
Where we can choose a file list (folder tree, bookmark, category filter)
Pierre.
Skiff

Post by Skiff »

Hello again after 12 years!
Recently I've switched from classic version to MP, and happily noticed that overall functionality on MP exceeded Classic version :)
So I've began exploring application, and noticed that polish translation has somewhat decayed over the years - I'm sorry for that.

Since few days I'm working on new translation. Trying few tricks from Mozilla's Firefox translation team. And like always trying to provide best translation in terms of accuracy and user friendliness. So ending this long introduction.

Code: Select all

<location filename="DlgConvert.cpp" line="2557"/>
        <source>Output filename will be the same for all converted files, do you want to continue?</source>
What does that really mean? I see that I translated this literally before, but - how all files can have the same filename? So maybe it means, that every each of processed files will have same input and output file name, different for each respective file?

Next question:

<location filename="DlgConvert.ui" line="1433"/>
        <location filename="project/GeneratedFiles/ui_DlgConvert.h" line="1569"/>
        <source>&apos;Hot folders&apos; process files</source>
Does it mean: process all files from 'hot folders' ??

<location filename="DlgSettingsView.ui" line="91"/>
        <location filename="project/GeneratedFiles/ui_DlgSettingsView.h" line="784"/>
        <source>Reset &apos;Auto Image size&apos; setting with next/previous file</source>
I've tried to understand what really this option does, but despite many tries - I don't. Please help if you would be so kind :)
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Skiff wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:21 pmHello again after 12 years!
Welcome back, Skiff :-D

Skiff wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:21 pm

<location filename="DlgConvert.cpp" line="2557"/>
        <source>Output filename will be the same for all converted files, do you want to continue?</source>
What does that really mean? I see that I translated this literally before, but - how all files can have the same filename? So maybe it means, that every each of processed files will have same input and output file name, different for each respective file?
I've tried different scenarios with batch conversion and batch rename. That message never appeared :-?

<location filename="DlgConvert.ui" line="1433"/>
        <location filename="project/GeneratedFiles/ui_DlgConvert.h" line="1569"/>
        <source>&apos;Hot folders&apos; process files</source>
Does it mean: process all files from 'hot folders' ??
Does Pierre's comment answer your question?
xnview wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:50 am
helmut wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:26 pm"'Hot folders' process files"
Setting "'Hot folders' process files" is located in "Batch convert" dialog on "Settings" tab.

<location filename="DlgSettingsView.ui" line="91"/>
        <location filename="project/GeneratedFiles/ui_DlgSettingsView.h" line="784"/>
        <source>Reset &apos;Auto Image size&apos; setting with next/previous file</source>
I've tried to understand what really this option does, but despite many tries - I don't.
This has been mentioned in a few topics:
Skiff

Post by Skiff »

XnTriq wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:00 pm Does Pierre's comment answer your question?
xnview wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:50 am
helmut wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:26 pm"'Hot folders' process files"
Sadly not exactly. Is mine uderstanding correct (according to this comment): I have a folder, which XnView monitors for new files, and when it detects new files in this folder, then those files are automatically added to file list/processed during conversion?

Big thanks for rest of answers!
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Sadly not exactly. Is mine understanding correct (according to this comment): I have a folder, which XnView monitors for new files, and when it detects new files in this folder, then those files are automatically added to file list/processed during conversion?
When a new file arrives in a designated 'hot folder', the image is processed immediately...

Tip: Ensure that the output file is placed in a different folder, otherwise an infinitive loop will start! :wink:
Skiff

Post by Skiff »

Thanks for help. But I've got another problem. Some translation is provided by qt_pl.qm and i is wrong.
In translation files there are no .ts files for this so some of translations made by me in xnview_pl.qm are overridden by those from qt_pl.qm

I've confirmed that by removing 'qt_pl.qm' from languages folder (eg. save changes in modified file dialog):
With qt_pl.qm (string "Zachowaj" should be "Zapisz")

without qt_pl.qm

Could anyone help with this?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

strange, qt_pl.qm comes from QT framework, it's the official translation
Pierre.
Skiff

Post by Skiff »

xnview wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:07 pm strange, qt_pl.qm comes from QT framework, it's the official translation
Probably, but I don't think that it's proffessional translation, but made like here by volunteers.
Professional translations (eg. Microsoft) always translate Save to Zapisz, never to Zachowaj.

This one word spoils translation of XnView for me. If I could just correct this one it would be complete.

Do we have access to source file of qt_pl.qm? I tried looking for it, but didn't find it.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Skiff wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:06 pm Do we have access to source file of qt_pl.qm? I tried looking for it, but didn't find it.
not easy to change it, i can contact QT team
Pierre.
Skiff

Post by Skiff »

xnview wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:45 am not easy to change it, i can contact QT team
Don't bother. You can just use inhouse translation for these buttons instead of native QT translation :)
Just a thought :)