** English - English (=Master)

Translation of On-Screen texts of XnView MP and XnConvert

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: ** English - English

Post by XnTriq »

cday wrote:In other cases where an action can be applied to a single image, or to multiple selected images, is ... image(s)... used?
Sometimes: image(s), file(s), tab(s), thumbnail(s), … ;-)
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

XnTriq wrote:
cday wrote:In other cases where an action can be applied to a single image, or to multiple selected images, is ... image(s)... used?
Sometimes: image(s), file(s), tab(s), etc. ;-)
At a very quick look, I don't have time for any more immediately, I don't see it used in any *menu* item (rather than in a message) ?

It is about consistency...

[When an action is selected from the browser rather than the viewer, isn't it possibly normal and implicit that it can also be applied to multiple selected images?? ]
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Sorry for the delay, guys. (Very busy and still catching up.)

helmut wrote:• "Categories tree is correclty imported in XnView category" -->
"Category tree successfully imported into XnView categories"
vertigo wrote:I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I think it would sound better as "Category tree successfully imported..." or "Category tree has been sucessfully imported..." Using "was" here just sounds like it "was" done earlier vs "just now" when the import action was performed. Thoughts XnTriq?
I'm fine with your suggestion and changed it above. Do you also agree, XnTriq?
That's fine with me, too.

cday wrote:At a very quick look, I don't have time for any more immediately, I don't see it used in any *menu* item (rather than in a message) ?

It is about consistency...

[When an action is selected from the browser rather than the viewer, isn't it possibly normal and implicit that it can also be applied to multiple selected images?? ]
Yes, valid point:
helmut wrote:• "Rebuild embedded thumbnail" -->
"Rebuild embedded EXIF thumbnail"
vertigo wrote:Not sure if this is applicable to a single file or possibly multiple files, but if it can be multiple, then just as with the previous item it should be "thumbnails" or "thumbnail(s)."
Right, the "thumbnail(s)" would be 100% correct. But using the plural makes things less clear, e.g. "Rebuild embedded EXIF thumbnail(s)" sounds as if there could be several EXIF thumbnails in one image file that are rebuilt. Last not least there are some labels in singular, already, e.g. "Edit comment..." or "Change timestamp...". So I wonder whether all labels should be in singular (as if one file was selected)?
So for consistency's sake, it should say “Split images...”, “Splitting image, please wait...”, and “Rebuild embedded EXIF thumbnail”.

Happy New Year, everyone :mrgreen:
helmut

Post by helmut »

Yes, a happy new year to everyone! Thank you all for your latest feedback. Already, we improved several wordings which is good. :D

I've created a Wiki page for the English wordings discussed currently (not for the complete English translation). Current discussion on individual labels should continue here in this topic while the wiki page contains the complete list of labels currently discussed and the latest version. You may also update the wiki page and/or I can do it whenever there's something we improved a bit. The wiki is supposed to provide both the latest version plus the history of the translations automatically. I'm not sure whether this really works out, though.
___
cday wrote:
XnTriq wrote:
  • Create
    • Join images...
    • Split images...
<edit> cday was first </edit>
In Join images... "images" must necessarily be plural, but Split... can be applied to a single image, or to multiple selected images...

So should the text be Split image... or Split images... (or Split image(s)... ) ?

When an action can be applied to a single file or to multiple files, isn't singular the norm?
O.k., so we decide for now that in XnView browser menu items that can be applied to both a single file and multiple files singular is used (e.g. "image, file, ...").

• "Create" menu
I think the sub menu items of the "Create" main menu should give the user an idea what is created (if I understand right this is cday's understanding and idea, too).

- When splitting images the user splits the original image into several images. Result are several images. He/she creates split(ted) images. "Create > Split(ted) images..." and "Create > Split(ted) image..." both makes sense to me. Personally, I tend to "Create > Split image...".

- When joining images, the user joins several images to one image. He/she creates a strip of joined images. I'd suggest:
"Create > Joined images..."-->
"Create > Strip of joined images".
(BTW: IIRC this has been discussed a while ago and the dialog's title is still "Strip of images" while the menu item was changed.

Notes:
The dialog title should also be changed to what we agree on here, e.g. "Create strip of joined images".)

The wrong split(ted) was used on purpose to indicate that "split" is not used as imperative but adjective.

___
EDIT: When thinking more about it I agree to all suggestions above. The final, consolidated version of the English translation previously discussed is supposed to be in the wiki.

An addition: The dialog title should also be changed to what we agreed on here:
"Strip of images" -->
"Join images"
Jochen S.

Post by Jochen S. »

"Explorer" -> "File manager" ?
Right click in browser tab opens a context menu. The last entry reads "Explorer". Clicking on it opens the folder with Nemo (default file manager in Linux Mint). I think file manager is the better name, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_manager

Jochen
helmut

Post by helmut »

Jochen S. wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:14 pm "Explorer" -> "File manager" ?
Right click in browser tab opens a context menu. The last entry reads "Explorer". Clicking on it opens the folder with Nemo (default file manager in Linux Mint). I think file manager is the better name, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_manager ..
Agreed. Ideally, the name should depend on the operating system:
Windows: "Explorer"
Linux: "File manager"
MacOS: "Finder" or "File manager"
helmut

Post by helmut »

When translating to German I found some issues in the English translation. Would be cool if some native speakers would double-check.

"Save SLD with relative paths" -->
"Use relative paths in SLD file"

"Increment at each images by <xxx> seconds" -->
"Increment for each image by <xxx> seconds"

"Favorite does not exist" -->
"Folder does not exist"

"item" -->
"file" (Note: In some cases "item" is correct, in some "file" is better, I think. Which term does the Explorer of an English Windows use?)

"The database is corrupted, please check it before to continue!" -->
"The database is corrupted. Please perform a database check before to continue!" (Note: How is such a database check started / performed?)

"Companion (separated by ;)" -->
"Companion extension(s) (separated by ;)"
vertigo

Post by vertigo »

Not sure what these are each referencing, so I don't know the context, but I'll try to help.

"Save SLD with relative paths" -->
"Use relative paths in SLD file"

*** Looks fine, though it seems it should use the word save. The first line seemed fine, but not knowing what this means and what it refers to I can't be sure.

"Increment at each images by <xxx> seconds" -->
"Increment for each image by <xxx> seconds"

*** Again, not sure of the context, but it sounds a bit strange. Perhaps "Increment each image by <xxx> seconds" (drop the "for"), but it depends what it's doing exactly.

"Folder does not exist"

*** Assuming it's actually referencing a folder and not a favorite, this is good.

"item" -->
"file" (Note: In some cases "item" is correct, in some "file" is better, I think. Which term does the Explorer of an English Windows use?)

*** Not sure what specifically in Explorer you're asking about, but if I select a file or folder, the status bar at the bottoms says "1 item selected."

"The database is corrupted, please check it before to continue!" -->
"The database is corrupted. Please perform a database check before to continue!" (Note: How is such a database check started / performed?)

*** Drop the "before" ("The database is corrupted. Please perform a database check to continue!"). And there's nothing wrong with the original format ("The database is corrupted, please check it to continue!"). Also may consider changing "corrupted" to "corrupt" but that's pretty inconsequential, and I'm not sure which way I prefer.

"Companion (separated by ;)" -->
"Companion extension(s) (separated by ;)"

*** This just looks like a winking smiley face :P
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

vertigo wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:55 amNot sure what these are each referencing, so I don't know the context, but I'll try to help.
helmut wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:45 pmNote: In some cases "item" is correct, in some "file" is better, I think. Which term does the Explorer of an English Windows use?
Improvements in Windows Explorer:
  • XP: files & folders = objects
  • post-XP: files & folders = items
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thank you, vertigo, for checking the translation and you, XnTriq, for linking to the topics explaining the label and change.

As I see now, you really have to know the context and what's behind it to provide a good translation.

We have:
"Folder does not exist"

Let's leave the rest as it is for now.
Mateo

Post by Mateo »

Hi guys!

While making my Polish translation I came across the following two source strings:
1. Import XMP subject or IPTC keyword to DB Categories
2. Export DB Category to XMP Subject and IPTC Keyword

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel it should be "Category DB" (understood as the database of the category) and "Categories DB" (as the database of the categories), not "DB Category (categories)" which one can read as the category of the database.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Mateo wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:52 pm...
1. Import XMP subject or IPTC keyword to DB Categories
2. Export DB Category to XMP Subject and IPTC Keyword
The two strings don't use the same term, so there is something wrong: 1. DB Categories vs. 2. DB Category
Mateo wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:52 pmMaybe I'm wrong but I feel it should be "Category DB" (understood as the database of the category) and "Categories DB" (as the database of the categories), not "DB Category (categories)" which one can read as the category of the database.
Hmm, "Category DB" sounds as if there was a special database for the categories.

It says "XMP Subject" and "IPTC Keyword", so "DB Category" or "Database Category" seems a logical way to specify the category. Though, is "DB" or "Database" needed at all? FAIK, categories exist in XnView, only, so it's clear that XnView's categories stored in XnView's database are exported and imported.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Some stuff found in XnView 0.93 beta:

Use Cpu Core's -->
Use multiple CPU Cores
(Note: This setting is pretty technical. Perhaps a hint could be added which explains the effect of this setting. E.g. "Use multiple CPU cores" (faster, system might react slowly during conversion)

Open in Explorer / Explorer / ... -->
Open file location or
Open location Note: Like in Windows 10

Left (top-bottom) -->
Left (text downwards)

Left (bottom-top) -->
Left (text upwards)

Right (top-bottom) -->
Right (text downwards)

Left (bottom-top) -->
Right (text upwards)

Create > Banner -->
Create > ??? (Are these really banners?)

Banner dialog:
Write -->
Create

Write all -->
Create all
Mateo

Post by Mateo »

helmut wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:22 pm Hmm, "Category DB" sounds as if there was a special database for the categories.

It says "XMP Subject" and "IPTC Keyword", so "DB Category" or "Database Category" seems a logical way to specify the category. Though, is "DB" or "Database" needed at all? FAIK, categories exist in XnView, only, so it's clear that XnView's categories stored in XnView's database are exported and imported.
Indeed. I thought there was something like separate database for categories.
Seems I was wrong.
On the other hand - using "DB Category" ("Database Category") may also suggest that there are a few (more then one) databases which are (somehow) categorised :-)
Thus, as you suggested, I am for removing the "DB" from the above strings in order to avoid any misunderstandings.
helmut

Post by helmut »

While updating German translation to XnView 0.94 beta 1 I found some issues in the English translation. Would be cool if some native speakers would double-check.

Menu Image:
Negative -->
Negative (Invert)

Menu Image:
Desaturate -->
Desaturate (Black&White)

Dialog Unsharp Mask:
Amount -->
Intensity (just like in most other effects/filters). Alternatively it could say "Value" in all effects/filters.

An error occurs during process, please check if files are not read-only!
-->
An error occured during processing. Please make sure that files are not read-only!

Text:
Open lastest opened tab
-->
Open latest opened tab (Question: Is a tab opened or an image opened?)

Several image processing dialogs, e.g. Image > Offset..:
Apply to original -->
Apply to image (just like in most dialogs)