Translation of On-Screen texts of XnView MP and XnConvert

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

Re: ** English - English

Post by helmut »

XnView 0.96:

Some more:

Paste Special -->
Paste outside Note: Normal "Paste" pastes the content of the clipboard inside the image

To the left -->
Left

To the right -->
Right

To the bottom -->
Bottom

To the top -->

Alternatively, it could be 'Left side' instead of just 'Left', and so on. Personally, I think just "Left" is fine and short.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:22 pm XnView 0.96:

Some more:
Thanks
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

XnView MP 0.96.1:
Curves... (dialog title) -->
Curves Note: No elipsis in dialog title.

BTW: Is "Curves" really meaningful? To me "Curves" is the way you control RGB and Brilliance. So I think it should rather say something like "RGB/Brilliance" or similar? Other opinions?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

helmut wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:29 pm XnView MP 0.96.1:
Curves... (dialog title) -->
Curves Note: No ellipsis in dialog title.

BTW: Is "Curves" really meaningful? To me "Curves" is the way you control RGB and Brilliance. So I think it should rather say something like "RGB/Brilliance" or similar? Other opinions?

'Curves' is the usual term in image editing software, I believe, and provides more control than the [equally unmeaningful...] 'Levels' function :?:
helmut

Post by helmut »

cday wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:23 am... 'Curves' is the usual term in image editing software, I believe, and provides more control than the [equally unmeaningful...] 'Levels' function :?:
O.k., thank you for your explanation, cday.

And what about "Curves (RGB/Brilliance)"?

___

XnView MP 0.96:

There are two messages in the area of sessions:
A: "Saving many tabs may noticeably slow reopening XnView MP"
B: "Your previous session contains many loaded images, this can cause a slowdown!"

What's the difference of these messages? When is message A displayed, when message B? In message A the term "tabs" is used while in message B the term "images" is used - is this on purpose?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:29 pm Curves... (dialog title) -->
There is no elipsis already
When asking about saving session at exiting
B: "Your previous session contains many loaded images, this can cause a slowdown!"
At startup
Pierre.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

xnview wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:28 am
At startup

B: "Your previous session contains many loaded images, this may noticeably slow reopening XnView MP"

The above text seems clearer as it is only reopening that is slowed...

[If too long, 'noticeably' could be omitted.]
helmut

Post by helmut »

helmut wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:29 pm Curves... (dialog title) -->
There is no elipsis already
As you can see in the screenshot of XnView 0.96 (English) there is an elipsis in the dialog title:
2020-04-28_224557.png
2020-04-28_224557.png (11.57 KiB) Viewed 5529 times
EDIT: From what I can see the appropriate (wrong) label is here:

Code: Select all

<message>
        <location filename="DlgCurves.h" line="41"/>
        <source>Curves...</source>
        <translatorcomment>Dialog Title</translatorcomment>
        <translation>Kurven (RGB/Brillianz)</translation>
    </message>
At startup
Thank you for your answer, Pierre. Could you please be a bit more precise? Are these messages displayed always (i.e. when you have one or more tabs/images opened) or only if a specific number or more tabs/images are opened? Why is the term "tab" used in message A and the term "images" in message B?

@cday: Thank you for your answer and suggestion for a more precise message text. Let's wait first for Pierre's answer to better understand the context and then decide on the text.
helmut

Post by helmut »

XnView MP 0.96.1:

The 'Use CPU Cores' setting was disabled. This setting can't be combined with 'Ask' mode or multipage PDF files. ->
The 'Use multiple CPU Cores' setting was disabled. This setting can't be combined with 'Ask' mode or multipage PDF files Note: Text of setting was changed
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:51 pm Thank you for your answer, Pierre. Could you please be a bit more precise? Are these messages displayed always (i.e. when you have one or more tabs/images opened) or only if a specific number or more tabs/images are opened? Why is the term "tab" used in message A and the term "images" in message B?
A is displayed when you more than 1 tabs at exit, and B is displayed when you have more than 7 tabs/images. if use 'tab' in A because we can see them, and 'image' at opening is better.
Pierre.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Please, guys, we've been there before: The (tone) curves tool is used to adjust the tonality.
XnTriq wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:30 am
helmut wrote:
helmut wrote:"Curves" -->
"Curves"
Hmm, perhaps I'm out of the graphic business for too long. ;-) When speaking of curves I'd rather think of splines than RGB or brilliance curves. Perhaps something like "Curves (RGB & Brilliance)" would make things a bit clearer? But I don't mind keeping "Curves".
If we have to deviate from the standard terminology, “Tone curves” would be my choice. “Curves (Luma & RGB)...” and “Levels (Luma & RGB)...” seem really odd to me.
PS: RGB Curve Editing
helmut

Post by helmut »

XnTriq wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:15 am Please, guys, we've been there before: The (tone) curves tool is used to adjust the tonality.
Oops, right. Thank you, XnTriq, for pointing us to this old discussion. And conclusion was/is: No change. Right?
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:47 amA is displayed when you more than 1 tabs at exit, and B is displayed when you have more than 7 tabs/images. if use 'tab' in A because we can see them, and 'image' at opening is better.
Thank you for your explanation, Pierre. I think XnView's behaviour and messages are a bit unclear and inconsistent in this area. This topic is about translation and I want to avoid hijacking it, so I've started a new topic Improved messages for sessions.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

helmut wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:26 pmOops, right. Thank you, XnTriq, for pointing us to this old discussion. And conclusion was/is: No change. Right?
As cday pointed out, curves and levels are standard tools in image (as well as video) editing.
https://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=433334&seqNum=3 wrote:Correcting Tone and Contrast with Curves

If you're using Photoshop 7, CS, or CS2, then you have access to Curves, another type of tone and contrast correction tool. Curves allows you to do the same thing as Levels – brighten and darken the pixel values of your image – but it uses a very different interface.
https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tool-curves.html wrote:The Curves tool is the most sophisticated tool for changing the color, brightness, contrast or transparency of the active layer or a selection. While the Levels tool allows you to work on Shadows and Highlights, the Curves tool allows you to work on any tonal range. It works on RGB images.
If we have to deviate from the commonly used terminology, I'd go for “Tone Curves”.

Brilliance” in color theory:
https://books.google.com/books?id=O9V7DwAAQBAJ&pg=PA9&dq=brilliance+brilliant wrote:Saturation & Intensity

A color's saturation, also called its “intensity” or “chroma,” refers to its level of brilliance or dullness. A highly saturated color is very vibrant.
https://www.drawpaintacademy.com/color-saturation/ wrote:Saturation Versus Chroma

The term saturation is often used interchangeably with the term chroma. They broadly mean the same thing, however, it is important to understand the subtle difference between the two terms.

Saturation is a relative term. It describes a color's brilliance in relation to pure gray.

Chroma, on the other hand, is an absolute term that can be measured on a scale. In the Munsell Color System, each color has been designated a chroma rank, from 0 for gray to 12+ for vivid colors.

If you were being particular, then chroma is more appropriate than saturation for comparing the brilliance of two different colors. But practically speaking, your use of saturation or chroma will not influence your painting. Personally, I only use the term saturation to describe a color's brilliance and avoid the use of chroma to keep things simple.
https://www.munsell.com/color-blog/color-theory-drawing-value/ wrote:Chroma and Layering

Chroma means the highest saturation or brilliance of a color. In a Munsell scale chroma ranges from 0 to 16, where 0 is a neutral gray and 16 is the most pure, saturated color.
helmut

Post by helmut »

XnView 0.98.2

Dialog: InfoIPTC
Copy rights -->
Copyright

Copy in clipboard -->
Copy to clipboard

Positions in Dialog DlgConvertCanvas
Currently:
Top left
Top right
Left
Center
Right
Bottom left
Bottom
Bottom right

Suggestion (see Dialog DlgConvertBorderClass, for example):
Top left
Top center
Top right
Center left
Center
Center right
Bottom left
Bottom center
Bottom right

Do you want to delete all your template's name? -->
Do you want to delete all your name templates?