0.82: Delete files slow

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView MP or XnConvert MP which have been resolved.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

C1879

0.82: Delete files slow

Post by C1879 »

When I'm viewing a folder with a few thousand files, I sometimes multiple select a few hundred files via shift right arrow. If I delete those files by hitting the delete key, XnViewMP goes CPU bound for several seconds to a minute.

I grabbed Process Monitor from http://www.sysinternals.com to try to get some insight into the problem. As expected, XnViewMP moved the files to my recycle bin. But then it did the following:

Loop
QueryDirectory of all the files in the current folder

Loop hundreds of times
RegOpenKey HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\CPC\Volume SUCCESS Desired Access: Read
RegQueryKey HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\CPC\Volume SUCCESS Query: HandleTags, HandleTags: 0x0
RegOpenKey HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\CPC\Volume\{f
RegCloseKey HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\CPC\Volume SUCCESS
RegQueryValue HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\CPC\Volume\{f4ba03b0-de78-44ea-965c-70812c25a660}\Generation SUCCESS Type: REG_DWORD, Length: 4, Data: 3
RegCloseKey HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\CPC\Volume\{f4ba03b0-de78-44ea-965c-70812c25a660} SUCCESS
End Loop

End Loop

I understand that XnViewMP doesn't call these Windows API directly. But it almost seems as thought it is querying the entire current folder once for each file I deleted. That seems very inefficient.

Comments?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.82: Delete files slow

Post by xnview »

C1879 wrote:When I'm viewing a folder with a few thousand files, I sometimes multiple select a few hundred files via shift right arrow. If I delete those files by hitting the delete key, XnViewMP goes CPU bound for several seconds to a minute.
i've tried with a slow drive, and it takes only some seconds, do you have a big catalog file?
Loop
QueryDirectory of all the files in the current folder
It seems to be called by the windows function that deletes in recycle bin
Pierre.
C1879

Post by C1879 »

My drive is an SSD drive (Samsung 850 EVO). My machine has 64GB RAM, so all folders I touch get cached.

It seems that the problem is related to the fact that this folder has 1100 sub-folders. They were all empty. If I delete those sub-folders, performance is fine.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

C1879 wrote:It seems that the problem is related to the fact that this folder has 1100 sub-folders. They were all empty. If I delete those sub-folders, performance is fine.
right the problem is with many sub folders
See Issue 1038 for details.
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.84 final. Could you please try and confirm the bug fix, C1879?
C1879

Post by C1879 »

helmut wrote:This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.84 final. Could you please try and confirm the bug fix, C1879?
It works for me now. Thanks.