A tickbox setting for being better economical tab opening

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView MP or XnConvert MP which have been resolved.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

budz45
XnThusiast

A tickbox setting for being better economical tab opening

Post by budz45 »

Hi,

I just had this idea. How about a tickbox enable/disable setting called:
"Use current\last opened tab in new file opening"

This could be placed in either Settings>Interface or Settings>Interface>Tabs

This idea/request is closely linked to this topic of: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=21039
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
budz45
XnThusiast

Re: A tickbox setting for being better economical tab openin

Post by budz45 »

Or how about just making this setting for 'Recent Files' only, to go under the circle-ui of "recent files" (settings>interface) - It could be a tickbox that would be default enabled by default called: 'Use existing\last opened tab first'

This setting is needed for when a group of tabs is already opened and myself or any user, for that matter, may wish for an item of 'Recent Files' not to open in another new tab while a group of tabs is opened.

here are scenarios of how this tickbox feature would work:
=So for a group of 5 viewer tabs opened but the user is in Browser tab view = with this setting enabled 'Recent Files' could use that last tab of the group at the very right
=For a group of 5 viewer tabs opened (no Browser opened) and a user is currently active on 3rd tab = with this setting enabled 'Recent Files' would open to this same active 3rd tab.

------------------------------------
I think this setting would tie in well in conjunction with the reintroduction of the "Open only one view for multiple files (starup & drag & drop)" setting from old xnview that too would likely get migrated to XnView MP too.

Although if the 'Open only one view for multiple files' was enabled then this setting proposed in this topic would be nullified (greyed out). Also the 'Open only one view for multiple files' if it comes to MP should likely be put this time in the Settings>Interface and not Settings>view
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Any feedback on this suggestion?
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

I'm not quite sure whether I've understood the use case properly. And without understanding the requirement / use case, it's very difficult to discuss and evaluate possible solutions.

Having said that I mention a possible solution (for a problem I don't understand): Pinning of windows
In some applications like DBVisualizer, you can pin specific windows and thus beware them from being reused. Apart from the "X" symbol for closing a specific tab, there is a pin symbol which allows the user to pin this tab. Perhaps this would be a good way for handling. I'll post a screenshot of DBVisualizer, tomorrow.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

helmut wrote:I'm not quite sure whether I've understood the use case properly. And without understanding the requirement / use case, it's very difficult to discuss and evaluate possible solutions.
helmut,

This has nothing to do with 'Pinning of windows'.

This issue is to do with economizing the maximum amount of tabs opened in XnView MP.

It's similar to the way XnView has the option to disable "multiple view for same file" which prevents multiple opening of the same file (if file is already opened once). :)

So in a case (hypothetically) that a user wanted to open/view a great many of files, from different Browser directories, which would each open in a new tabs, this would effect the CPU load of the program. So I was only thinking of a way of 'tab re-using' after e.g. 15 tabs max - so 15th tab in this example would get 're-used' with no further tabs. This applies to opening files from MP's Browser, Recent Files or system file-system (win explorer). Is this now understandable? Apologies for the rushed and unexplained confusion of my previous postings on this topic.

Ok, this is not an important issue, still just something to think about (in the form of a control setting) especially since QT ui apparently does not support 'Multi-Row' display of tabs or so Pierre says.
Vapavite123

Post by Vapavite123 »

Bonjour,

L’idée pourrait être retenue mais je ne pense pas comme paramètre mais plutôt comme possibilité d’ouverture d’un fichier dans un onglet déjà ouvert.
Menu : Ouvrir fichier dans dernier onglet ouvert

Une autre possibilité :
Sans savoir si cela est réaliste, ajouter "un raccourci" qui influence le changement lors du passage en Mode vue

Hello,

The idea could be retained but I do not think as a parameter but rather as the possibility of opening a file in a tab already open.
Menu: Open the file in the last open tab
Another possibility:
Without knowing whether it is realistic, add "a shortcut" that influence change when switching to view mode
EconomieOngle.jpg
EconomieOngle.jpg (31.95 KiB) Viewed 2904 times
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

bonjour, Vapavite123 :P
Vapavite123 wrote: Another possibility:
Without knowing whether it is realistic, add "a shortcut" that influence change when switching to view mode
No, a shortcut in that menu is not a good idea.
Vapavite123 wrote:
Yes, sort of on this idea, yet I was thinking of a setting called:
Re-use last Tab: Max tabs: {{spinbox}}

and this would go in Settings>Interface>Tabs - even if if it was just an experimental feature :)
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thank you for your explanation, budz, and your idea, Vapavite!

If I understand right, it's all about reusing of open tabs and limiting the maximum number of open tabs.

My above mentioned "Pinning a window" might not be the right expression for it, it's rather "making a tab sticky". By marking and unmarking tabs, you decide which contents (images) remain opened and which ones will be replaced when opening other contents (images).

Example in DB Visualizer:

[BIG EDIT]

1.) When executing an SQL command, result is shown in the tab underneath the command area:
Pin-a-tab-01.png
Pin-a-tab-01.png (103.04 KiB) Viewed 2834 times
2.) You can make a tab sticky by clicking on the red pin or using the context menu.
Pin-a-tab-02.png
Pin-a-tab-02.png (117.04 KiB) Viewed 2834 times
3.) The green pin indicated that the appropriate tab is sticky:
Pin-a-tab-03.png
Pin-a-tab-03.png (100.73 KiB) Viewed 2834 times
4.) When executing a second SQL command, a new tab is opened since the sticky tab must not be used.
Pin-a-tab-04.png
Pin-a-tab-04.png (99.06 KiB) Viewed 2834 times
5.) When executing a third SQL command, the non-sticky tab is reused (it's not sticky). Note that number in title has changed from "6" to "7":
Pin-a-tab-05.png
Pin-a-tab-05.png (99.98 KiB) Viewed 2834 times
I think this is very close to what you mean, isn't it?
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

I don't personally have a need to limit open tabs... rarely do I have more than, say, 8 tabs open.

For me it would be inconvenient (or impossible, at my age :? ) to remember/recognize that the last tab on the right (for instance) has been over-ridden/reloaded recently...

So, IMO Pierre's efforts should be directed toward other features.

Lately I dream about a "Ken Burns" effect in the slideshow transition choices.
John
Vapavite123

Post by Vapavite123 »

Hello,

I agree with you JohnFredC. Therefore a simple solution might suit us, if necessary, and troubleshoot the others!

Obviously nothing prevents adding an additional option tabs
Je cite Helmut :
By marking and unmarking tabs, you decide which contents (images) remain opened and which ones will be replaced when opening other contents (images).
Mais aussi JohnFredC:
And myself:
Find a solution for deleting keywords in the batch edit window IPTC / XMP !
Improve the window "Search Similar" !

Yours

Bonjour,
Je pense comme vous . C'est pourquoi une solution simple pourrait nous convenir en cas de nécessité et dépanner les autres !
Menu : Ouvrir fichier dans dernier onglet ouvert
Rien n'empêche évidemment d'ajouter une option supplémentaire aux onglets
By marking and unmarking tabs, you decide which contents (images) remain opened and which ones will be replaced when opening other contents (images).
Mais aussi JohnFredC:
Et moi même:
Trouver une solution pour l'effacement des mots-clés en lot dans la fenêtre d'édition des IPTC/XMP !
Améliorer la fenêtre "Recherche Similaire" !

Bien à vous
helmut

Post by helmut »

In my above post I've added screenshots to visualize the "pinning" of tabs used and provided in DB Visualizer. In DB Visualizer it works very well and is useful for keeping results and comparing these.

John, Vapavite, thank you for your comment. I'm also not sure how important or unimportant this matter is. And I strongly agree: Currently we still have big issues in XnView MP and the first these should be solved and a first complete and mature final version of XnView MP should be released. Then, various additions can be made.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Right,
so in summary this is not an important feature/addition (for now). Yes, understandable..
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Hahha :P

Lol, I already started a topic about this same issue months before:
Subject: Maximum viewer tabs allowed opened

Like, what the forum member Irving wrote, posts/topics on this forum do have a habit of 'evaporating' :mrgreen:
Vapavite123

Post by Vapavite123 »

Hello,

I return to the subject after using the program extensively and with the idea that this is possible

I say YES to the proposed budz45

By considering:
1 - Whether this parameter is fundamental basic for me :
Uncheck "Only one tab" View ", so no scrolling of the files in the same tab
2 - That I am not obliged to do every time I use the program to have to check and / or modify the window "Settings"!

In this case, the simplest in terms of my practice would be to know that when I click on "Open", the images always open in a new tab and I could possibly use the tab I have just open (the last) to show a different picture than in it (not this one that suited!). Or by using the wheel or with a menu option "Open in the last tab open" because the desired image is too far in the folder or to use the scroll may be in another folder.
In my practice this is recurring!
This option would not only limit the total number of open tabs!

There are more complete solutions but are probably (maybe not!) More difficult to implement and also to control by an ordinary user.

Depending on the concerns I have with using the program, selfishly, I'd say if this is a plus for the program is not essential for me because I am already very pleased with the quality of vision that m 'offer

Yours

French :
Je reviens sur le sujet après avoir utiliser le programme de manière intensive et en ayant l’idée que cela soit possible
Je dis OUI à la proposition de budz45
En considérant :
1- Que ce paramètre de base est fondamental pour moi
Décocher « Un seul onglet « Vue », donc pas de défilement des fichiers dans le même onglet
2- Que je ne sois pas obligé à chaque fois que j’utilise le programme à devoir vérifier et/ou modifier la fenêtre « Paramètres » !
Dans ce cas, le plus simple en ce qui concerne ma pratique serait de savoir que lorsque que je clique sur « Ouvrir », les images s’ouvrent systématiquement dans un nouvel onglet ET que je pourrais éventuellement utiliser l’onglet que je viens d’ouvrir (le dernier) pour y faire apparaître une autre image que celle qui s’y trouve (ce n’est pas celle là qui convenait !). Soit en utilisant la roulette, soit avec une option dans le menu « Ouvrir dans le dernier onglet ouvert » car l’image recherchée se trouve trop loin dans le dossier pour utiliser le défilement ou peut se trouver dans un autre dossier.
Dans ma pratique cette situation est très récurrente !
Cette option ne permettrait donc pas seulement de limiter le nombre total d’onglets ouverts !
Il y à des solutions plus complètes mais qui sont sans doute (peut être pas !) plus difficile à implémenter et aussi à maîtriser par un utilisateur ordinaire.
En fonction des soucis que me pose l’utilisation du programme, égoïstement, je dirais que si cette solution est un plus pour le programme elle n’est pas essentielle pour moi car je suis déjà particulièrement satisfait des qualités de visionneuse qu’il m’offre
Bien à vous
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Thank you. Fixed in XnViewMP 0.48 :)

(in XnViewMP 0.48 the "Maximum of view tabs" setting found in Settings>Interface>Tabs)