0.91 beta 1 - caption not saved from viewer and fullscreen

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

MikeD

0.91 beta 1 - caption not saved from viewer and fullscreen

Post by MikeD »

When Edit IPTC-IIM/XMP is accessed from Viewer or Fullscreen (via Ctrl+I) and a caption is entered, it isn't saved. (Windows 10.)

Effect: Caption can't be saved from Viewer and Fullscreen modes.

To reproduce:
1. In the Viewer or Fullscreen, press Ctrl+I. An Edit IPTC-IIM/XMP dialog is displayed.
2. Enter a caption, and press Apply.

Actual behaviour (bug): The caption is stored temporarily, e.g. it is shown if the dialog is immediately reopened, and in the 'Information displayed' box in Fullscreen. But it isn't stored in the file - it isn't visible in the browser, or when the file is displayed again in Viewer or Fullscreen.

Expected behaviour: Caption stored in the file.

Note. The dialogs produced in the different contexts are similar, but not identical. The dialog produced from the Browser contains a 'Write' button, and the others contain an 'Apply' button.
Mike Dallwitz
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.91 beta 1 - caption not saved from viewer and fullscreen

Post by xnview »

In edit mode, IPTC is applied to metadata of image, not file. You need to save it
Pierre.
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

In edit mode, IPTC is applied to metadata of image, not file. You need to save it
Thanks for your response.

I usually enter Fullscreen from the Browser (or from File Explorer via a file association).

1. If you add a caption, and click Apply, the caption is shown in the Fullscreen 'Information displayed' (if that option has been set, of course).

2. If you return to the Browser after step 1, the information is lost.

3. If you save the file via Ctrl+S after step 1, the caption is saved in the file. However, when you go back to the Browser, the caption isn't shown in the information below the thumbnail. In order to display the caption, it's necessary to do one of the following.
(a) Access the 'Edit IPTC-IIM/XMP' dialog from the Browser, and click 'Write'. If this method is used, there's no point in adding the caption from Fullscreen - it's simpler to just go back to the Browser and add it from there.
(b) In the Browser, choose 'View > Update catalog from files'.

All this is rather complicated. I think it would be better to make the 'Edit IPTC-IIM/XMP' dialog work the same whether accessed from the Browser or from Fullscreen - i.e., have a Write button in both cases. This would be more obvious for users than having to use Ctrl+S. I would be happy to have a Write button instead of Apply, but perhaps some users would prefer to have it in addition to Apply.
Mike Dallwitz
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ok, right, will be fixed in beta 2
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.91 beta 2. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

The 'Edit IPTC-IIM/XMP' dialog reached from Fullscreen now has a 'Write' button, and works as I would expect. Thanks.

When reached from Viewer, it seems unchanged: there is an 'Apply' button, and the file isn't saved. This doesn't bother me, as I seldom use the Viewer. Perhaps users of the Viewer would usually be making other changes, and would expect to take another action to save the file. However, I notice that there is no warning if you exit the program without saving the file.
Mike Dallwitz