B4 Viewing large images

Feedback and Comments on the new 1.96 Test version on Windows.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

PSHRutPark

B4 Viewing large images

Post by PSHRutPark »

I have noticed that viewing 90-125MB TIFFs (48/64bit) by double clicking on the thumbnail works fine but double clicking on 700MB files mostly results in "Out of Memory" error.

In the past there was no problem with any file size, including 48/64bit. The error doesn't happen by directly clicking the "full screen" icon, nor has there ever been the 8 bit warning for that mode.

The expression of the error seems to have been begun with the release of B4 or at about the same time I clicked the "don't show in future" option to the "Image will be converted to 8 bit for viewing" warning.

Pierre, is there a way to revert back to having the "8 bit for viewing warning again" so that I can check if the error is associated with that?

PETER
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: B4 Viewing large images

Post by xnview »

PSHRutPark wrote: Pierre, is there a way to revert back to having the "8 bit for viewing warning again" so that I can check if the error is associated with that?
It's only an information, there no change in the way of loading picture
Pierre.
PSHRutPark

Re: B4 Viewing large images

Post by PSHRutPark »

xnview wrote:
PSHRutPark wrote: Pierre, is there a way to revert back to having the "8 bit for viewing warning again" so that I can check if the error is associated with that?
It's only an information, there no change in the way of loading picture
Hello Pierre,

OK. Thanks

Clicking on the icons of all size (80-720MB) images (48/64bit) on the desktop results in them being properly displayed in XnView. Whereas from within XnView , clicking the thumbnails produces inconsistent results for the largest files.

Later: I then realised that the problem was only occurring with the 700MB files that had been converted from 64bit to 48bit using a three day old update of ImageMagick. I updated to last nights release and converted a 950MB 64bit TIFF image to 48bit and the problem has not occurred (but does with the older conversions).

Three changes in the work flow at the same time: beta 4 release, cancelling the 8 bit reminder and updating to an erroneous release on Imagemagick.

Sorry for wasting your time.

PETER