XnView MP opens, but crashes with Windows 10 x64

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

mohabee_Photo

XnView MP opens, but crashes with Windows 10 x64

Post by mohabee_Photo »

Hi Bug Report Gatherer!

I've tried opening MP with Win10, but somehow, it has begun to crash. The error message comes up, but choose whether I want to "wait" for the system and the app to open the app normally, or if I want to close the app entirely. I use an Asus computer with Win 10, and the app has been working flawlessly up to the time I began getting the crash and the error messages. I'm using the latest version of XNView MP--downloaded and ready, two weeks ago.

What occurs:
I click on a photo, and since MP is my default photo editor/viewer, the splash page appears, and the photo appears, distorted and really stuck-looking. I click on the image twice, which usually leads me to the editor/viewer, but instead, nothing occurs. I am stuck on the front page with a really rasterized photo! The error message appears, and I make a choice--close the program, or wait for a very long time, for the app to work (I didn't see how long it would take--that function seemed to not work, either, after one minute of waiting patiently).

What I've tried:
I decided to delete the app completely, then rebooted my computer. I tried to reload the app, with a fresh download from the XNView website, but to no avail--the same results (nothing works, and the app appears to be "stuck").

I have a number of photos that need my attention, and I need help getting this app to work! Thank you.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: XNView MP opens, but crashes with Win10 x64

Post by xnview »

Do you have tried to delete your xnview.ini?
Pierre.
mohabee_Photo

Post by mohabee_Photo »

Pierre,

Thanks for your quick reply. I have one question: how do I delete the ".ini" file? It seems I made a clean deletion, but perhaps not. Thanks.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

mohabee_Photo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:53 am I have one question: how do I delete the ".ini" file? It seems I made a clean deletion, but perhaps not. Thanks.
If you haven't done so already, you should be able to go to Tools > Settings... > Integration -- Paths tab and then use the Open Config Files Location option to directly access and then delete your existing .ini
mohabee_Photo

Post by mohabee_Photo »

Hmm, I can't find "tools" and thus can't move forward with the instructions. Am I selecting tools from the Control Panel somewhere? Thanks for your help.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

mohabee_Photo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:34 pm I can't find "tools" and thus can't move forward with the instructions. Am I selecting tools from the Control Panel somewhere? Thanks for your help.
On the menu bar in the Browser or Viewer... :wink:
mohabee_Photo

Post by mohabee_Photo »

Ahh--I'll reload the XNView MP and then try out the .ini intervention, which is on the software, and not in the computer's registry. (Sigh of relief).
mohabee_Photo

Post by mohabee_Photo »

OK,

I downloaded and loaded the new XN View MP program. I then opened the Tools-Integration-Config files-but was led to a list of folders in my C drive, but not directly to a .ini file. Where do I go from here? Also, I see that the app was loaded in the C drive (a non-mechanical drive), which has just enough room to squeeze this app into, but my D drive, which is an actual hard drive, has plenty of room.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

mohabee_Photo wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:21 pm I downloaded and loaded the new XnView MP program. I then opened the Tools-Integration-Config files-but was led to a list of folders in my C drive, but not directly to a .ini file. Where do I go from here?
You should see a file xnview.ini, have you had a good look around following the instructions above?

Also, I see that the app was loaded in the C drive (a non-mechanical drive), which has just enough room to squeeze this app into, but my D drive, which is an actual hard drive, has plenty of room.
In Windows the C: drive is the normal location for the operating system and programs, as you probably know. From memory installers used to provide an option to change that location, but that is probably no longer the case in recent Windows versions. I have switched to Linux for my everyday use, and hate trying to find things in Windows 10 on my rare visits.

If you have a good reason for preferring to place the app on your D: drive, one option in the absence of a way to select the location in the installer would be to download the ZIP or 'portable' version. You can place the unzipped folder anywhere, and launch the program from a shortcut to the executable in the folder. The same options for the location of the .ini and similar files are available in the settings, I believe.
mohabee_Photo

Re: XnView MP opens, but crashes with Windows 10 x64

Post by mohabee_Photo »

I reloaded XnView MP, and without any further work on the aforementioned problems, it seems that the new version is working, and working even better than the previous version. I can choose the "D" folder, too, but with the program now working, I haven't looked at it thoroughly.