Continues Scrolling Photos Well After Releasing Keyboard Key (Linux Only)

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

metal450

Continues Scrolling Photos Well After Releasing Keyboard Key (Linux Only)

Post by metal450 »

When scrolling through photos in full-screen mode (e.g. by holding the Down or PgDown key on the keyboard), photos continue to scroll long after releasing the keyboard. This makes it very cumbersome to look quickly through a folder & stop when you get to the section you're seeking - as when you find the section & release, it continues scrolling, often for several seconds / dozens of photos longer (which you then have to manually go backwards through).

* I use XnViewMP on both Windows and Linux; this issue is unique to Linux - it does not occur on Windows.
* I've confirmed that the issue occurs on both the deb and AppImage versions of XnView MP on Linux
* I've confirmed that this behavior is unique to XnViewMP - it does not occur in other photo viewers (i.e. in Nomacs, photos stop scrolling the instant you release the keyboard key)

Versions:
XnView MP 0.96.4 64-bit
Kubuntu 20.04
KDE Plasma 5.18.5
Kernel 5.4.42-050442
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Continues Scrolling Photos Well After Releasing Keyboard Key (Linux Only)

Post by xnview »

i think that on Linux, all keyboard events are kept, i'll check with QT
Pierre.
metal450

Post by metal450 »

Perhaps - but that's why I mentioned that this behavior isn't observed in Nomacs, a different photo viewer, which does stop scrolling the moment you release the keyboard key.
metal450

Post by metal450 »

...?
metal450

Post by metal450 »

The issue is still present in 0.98.1.

I really enjoy xnview on windows, but keep finding myself going back to other viewers on Linux just due to this one issue. I hope this gets some attention some day.
Last edited by metal450 on Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
metal450

Post by metal450 »

Is there really nothing that can be done to fix this? I'm willing to help however I can, been wishing I could use XnVIew on Linux for over a year now, but every time I try to go back & try it this inability to accurately scroll through images keeps pushing my back to other viewers, in which this issue isn't present :( Note that the issue also isn't there in the view where the file list is shown - only when just the image is shown. So definitely it seems like it should be fixable....
metal450

Post by metal450 »

Is there some way to address this? The issue has now persisted for 27 months.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

metal450 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:39 am Is there some way to address this? The issue has now persisted for 27 months.
yes but currently i'm not able to fix it
Pierre.
metal450

Post by metal450 »

Any more context on what's causing it? Given that the issue is only present in "Full-Screen" but works perfectly in "Browse", I'm curious what the limitation might be where scrolling can work in one of XnView's two views but not the other?

If it's not fixable currently, any context on what prerequisites you might be waiting for prior to it being fixable, etc?
metal450

Post by metal450 »

Any more context on what's causing it? Given that the issue is only present in "Full-Screen" but works perfectly in "Browse", I'm curious what the limitation might be where scrolling can work in one of XnView's two views but not the other?

If it's not fixable currently, any context on what prerequisites you might be waiting for prior to it being fixable, etc?
metal450

Post by metal450 »

Hello?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Do you have the issue when opening an image tab?
Pierre.
metal450

Post by metal450 »

I'm not sure what you mean.

There are 2 ways to view images:
* Browser mode: If I set it to View As=Details, so there's a file list, & reveal the Preview pane, then I can hold the up/down keys so it scrolls through the file list, and the instant I let go of the up/down keys, it stops at the image I'm at.
* View mode: This is where the problem is. If I hold up/down keys for awhile, and then release, it keeps scrolling through additional photos, eventually ending up far past where I was when I released the key.