*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

lucmv

Film simulation crashes XnView

Post by lucmv »

Open an image.
Select Image -> Film simulation
Check the Preview box.

The two first choices are "K_TONE Vintage_KODACHROME" and "Kodak Kodachrome 25."

The three last ones are "polaroid_px-680_warm_(the end is unreadable)," "technicolor2" and "vibrant_alien."

All the named filters crash XnView instantly. I have tested it on many images and can confirm it's always one of those five filters (whichever I click first) that causes the problem. The others work as expected.

Running XnView from the command line gives out a lot of output, but the only thing that seems relevant is the single line "Segmentation fault." Everything else looks like normal output.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Film simulation crashes XnView

Post by xnview »

on windows?
Pierre.
lucmv

Post by lucmv »

Sorry. Linux Debian Stretch.
bin

Post by bin »

I also had this issue.

The 'fix' came about as a result of trying to reduce tearing in browsers.

I had added an intel conf file into /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/

Following this I found that the Preview panes in XNview appeared - albeit a little small, but also it no longer crashes on FIlm Simulation

This may or may not help depending on whether you use the same hardware - mine is just a basic i915 chip.

Using your favourite text editor, save the following as 20-intel.conf and, as root, copy it to the above location.

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "AccelMethod"  "sna"
   Option      "TearFree"    "true"
   Option      "DRI"    "3"
EndSection
Hope this helps someone.
lucmv

Post by lucmv »

Thanks. That's kind of you.

I do have an i915 graphics chip so I was very interested in your fix.

However, it didn't work. I added that file, rebooted, and the problem persists.
bin

Post by bin »

Sorry about that - something I have just realised as I revisited this is that it does still crash on the following when using preview or apply.

Kodachrome 25
Polaroid px680
technicolor2
vibrant alien

Looking at the plugin files shows a readme.txt containing
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
- Technicolor 2 from script by elsamuko
http://registry.gimp.org/node/9129
http://registry.gimp.org/node/9256

- polaroid_px-680_warm_--, fuji_fp-100c_++_alt, vibrant_alien, Kodak Kodachrome 25
http://gmic.eu/film_emulation/
https://patdavid.net/2015/03/film-emula ... rapee.html
https://patdavid.net/2013/09/film-emula ... -gimp.html

- K-TONE Vintage Kodachrome
https://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/20 ... -tone-lut/
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I've only recently tried using Xnview so still getting used to driving it. I'm currently testing on ubuntu based distros 16.04 and 18.04 (I actually use Lubuntu but that shouldn't make too much difference.I found the same behavior on a Debian testing system as well so I don't think it is OS specific

My interest has been piqued by this so I've downloaded the full Film Emulation set from RT and will have a bit of a fiddle to see what comes out of it.

What happens if you use emulations other than those mentioned above?
lucmv

Post by lucmv »

You pointed out 4 filters that cause XnView to crash. I pointed out 5. Does the fifth one work for you?

Only those 5 cause me trouble. All the others work fine.
bin

Post by bin »

Yes, that one crashes too.

I've done a bit of twiddling and here's what I have found.

1. File names in the clut folder /XnView/AddOn/clut are important.
2. The "density" of the lookup PNG file is relevant - if you look at the different png files you'll see the ones for the simulations that crash are different.

To reproduce this I renamed the original Kodak Kodachrome 25 files to:-
lookup_k25.png and lookup_k25.thumb.jpg respectively

Started xnview, opened an image>Image>Film Simulation scrolled to k25 and clicked preview and got the most horrible result.
However with Preview and Apply to image it didn't crash.

As I mentioned previously I have downloaded the Rawtherapee CLUT library. In the /XnView/AddOn/clut folder there's a file called identity.zip I extracted the look_identity.png file, opened it in Rawtherapee, applied the Kodak25 simulation from their library and then exported the png.

Next I renamed the exported png to lookup_k25.png and used it to replace the original renamed version as above.

Opening an image on xnview and applying that filter did not crash, and the result looked OK.

By taking the same image and opening it in RT with the Kodak 25 simulation I get what seems to my eye to be the same result as using the modified and renamed files as above.

Need to do some more fiddling but getting there. I've attached the working versions - just put them in the clut folder - you may want to remove the original Kodak Kodachrome files at the same time.
Attachments
lookup_k25.thumb.jpg
lookup_k25.thumb.jpg (5.91 KiB) Viewed 867 times
lookup_k25.png
lookup_k25.png (205.3 KiB) Viewed 867 times
bin

Post by bin »

OK - following on from the above I have reworked the 5 film simulations that crash XnViewMP in linux.

In each case I have taken the lookup_identity.png suppliedby XnView's author.

Using Rawtherapee I have then applied the film simulation provided by Rawtherapee's HALD Clut download.

I then exported the result as an 8bit PNG then renamed to fit the convention that seems to be required in XnView.

Where the appropriate simulation was not in Rawthrapee I have loaded the 12 level identity file from the XnView clut into the Rawtherapee simulations folder, thus allowing me to use RT to apply those 12 level simulations to the 8 level identity.

According to http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Film_Simulation this should be fine for photo work.

The attached zip should be extracted away from the XnViewMP clut folder, you'll need to manually remove the 10 files from there and then copy these new ones in.

Hope this is pretty self explanatory.
Attachments
xnview-clut-amended-files.zip
Replacements for film simulation files that crash XnViewMP on linux
(765.45 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
lucmv

Post by lucmv »

Hi. Sorry I took so long to reply.

I just tested your filters and they work. The older ones still crash, of course. But your will do.

Thank you for your kind attention.