Texts, rectangle and ellipse are placed in wrong location and size when font size diff 100%

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

picpros

Texts, rectangle and ellipse are placed in wrong location and size when font size diff 100%

Post by picpros »

Hello,

I love Your program and using it intensively.
That probably why I have found this bug.
It would be nice to fix it, so I don't have to use other software for adding texts

Path to reproduce:
Movie showing below steps is available here: https://www.screencast.com/t/RrZMMoA1 (unblock Flash to see movie). Movie was not recorded in full screen resolution.
0) Set "Screen Resulution" -> "Font size..." to 150%. (I guess value different from 100%) (attached 150.png file)
1) Open picture that is bigger then your screen resolution (attached "black.png" file 3928x2210) (e.g. twice size that your screen resolution - my resolution 1920x1080)
2) Click "Draw" icon on toolbar - "Draw" window will appear
3) Enter the text at the bottom of the screen (attached "Draw.png" file)
4) Accept changes by clicking "OK"

Observed:
Text will appear in the middle of the image instead of botton (attached "AfterOK.png" file)

Expected:
Text in correct size appear in the correct location.

Notice:
Problem noticed on: XnView MP Windows Version 0.87 64bits (Sep 7 2017).
I observed problem also on: XnView MP Windows Version 0.86.
I am using Windows 10 64bits.
Reinstallation doesn't help. I do not remember that I have uninstalled 0.86 and then installed 0.87 or installed 0.87 on the 0.86, but it doesn't help solve the issue.
I guess prblem is when picture is bigger then your screen resolution.
It looks problem is not related to "Draw" window size.
I tried "Times New Roman" "Arial" and "Calibri" fonts - problem exist for all of them.
The same problem is observed for "Draw a rectangle" and "Draw an ellipse" commands

Workaround:
Set "Screen Resulution" -> "Font size..." to 100%. (attached 150.png file)

Solution:
Problem is fixed in XnView MP 0.88 version.

Thank you in advance for Your help,
Andrew
Attachments
150.PNG
black.png
Draw.PNG
AfterOK.PNG
Last edited by picpros on Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 12 times in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Texts are placed in wrong position and wrong size

Post by xnview »

strange, i can't reproduce. Could you send me the image used?
Pierre.
picpros

Re: Texts are placed in wrong position and wrong size

Post by picpros »

Right!
I attached "black.png" (in previous post) that I have used.
Is there anything more that I can do, to help you track the problem?
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Texts are placed in wrong location and wrong size

Post by cday »

I can't reproduce either, a possible misunderstanding about how the text tool should be used??

o Text size set is in pixels, I presume, so text will appear smaller when image dimensions are larger.

o After setting the text parameters, when the mouse cursor is moved over the image it should change into a small cross, which is the text insertion point when the left mouse button is clicked. Text is always inserted where expected in my tests even when the image is larger than the screen dimensions.

o After text insertion as above, the mouse cursor changes into a four-headed arrow which enables the entered text to be moved, until 'OK' is clicked.

o Blank lines in the text entry box above or below the desired text may affect the position at which the desired text is inserted.

Otherwise, perhaps more details of your detailed steps, or ideally a video recording?
picpros

Re: Texts are placed in wrong location and wrong size

Post by picpros »

Thank You for such detailed description - it is very rare to get professional help.
I can't attach .swf movie, so I am sharing it through screencast.com service. It shows how it behavies on my machine:
In the movie I am reproducing above steps: https://www.screencast.com/t/RrZMMoA1 (unblock Flash to see movie (e.g. in Edge))

Additional tests:
I tried "Times New Roman" "Arial" and "Calibri" fonts - problem exist for all of them.
The same problem is observed for "Draw a rectangle" and "Draw an ellipse" commands

How I can help more?
picpros

Re: Texts, rectangle and ellipse are placed in wrong location and wrong size

Post by picpros »

I tracked it - Hooray!!
Problem exist when "Screen Resulution" -> "Font size..." is set to 150%.
I believe value different from 100%.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Texts, rectangle and ellipse are placed in wrong location and size when font size diff 100%

Post by xnview »

:bugconfirmed: Thanks to your detailed description I can reproduce the problem.
Pierre.
picpros

Re: Texts, rectangle and ellipse are placed in wrong location and size when font size diff 100%

Post by picpros »

Thank You in advance for fix
Andrew
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.88. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
picpros

Post by picpros »

Huray!!
Thank You for the fix!
I confirm, problem is fixed in XnView MP version 0.88.
Andrew