0.86: Out of memory error

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

wartisoc

0.86: Out of memory error

Post by wartisoc »

XnView: MP 0.86 - 64-bit

Effect: Out of memory error on GIFs with lots of frames.

Not sure if this is a bug on XnView MP or in my Linux distro memory management, looking for confirmation.

I just downloaded the attached file and attempting to open it with XnView MP caused my machine to hang until, after a few minutes, the XnView MP process was killed making my machine responsive again. Checking the output of dmesg afterwards, I got this:

Code: Select all

[23111.612506] Out of memory: Kill process 8243 (XnView) score 649 or sacrifice child
[23111.612509] Killed process 8243 (XnView) total-vm:3850004kB, anon-rss:2816232kB, file-rss:3940kB
So, apparently XnView MP was attempting to allocate nearly 4 GB for this seemingly simple animation. The GIF image is 772x663 pixels and contains 1263 frames.

To reproduce:
1. Open the attached image.
Actual behaviour (bug): On my machine, XnView MP is killed with an Out of memory error after attempting to allocate nearly 4 GB of RAM :bug:

Expected behaviour: XnView MP to handle the file without attempting to allocate more RAM than available on the system, maybe?.
Attachments
1501951327638.gif
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.86: Out of memory error

Post by xnview »

XnView loads all decompressed frames of GIF, so if you have a lot of frames, you can have a memory problem
Pierre.
wartisoc

Re: 0.86: Out of memory error

Post by wartisoc »

Oddly enough, if I open another image and then use Left/Right to go to the animated GIF, XnView plays it without issues. It is only when I select the GIF on the explorer window and open it that it brings my machine to its knees.

[EDIT:] Nevermid, XnView MP plays the GIF sometimes but other times it hangs. It seems just random.

I still think there must be a better way to handle these situations, maybe a setting to let the user set the maximum amount of RAM to use for images/animations so that XnView MP can display a message saying it can't open that image with the current settings instead of hanging. Casually browsing my images and getting a system hang whenever I randomly hit one file can be really annoying. While deleting/moving the problematic file can be a solution, it's hardly an elegant one.