Setting the grid to 'square' in 'divisions' mode

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Ron Francis

Setting the grid to 'square' in 'divisions' mode

Post by Ron Francis »

Probably technically not really a bug, but conceptually misleading.

When editing the grid settings, the 'Square' check-box is meaningless when using 'Divisions' mode, (as opposed to 'Spacing').
The vertical divisions are set to the same number of divisions as the horizontal divisions are set to, rather than dividing the grid up into square segments.
Maybe this is by design, but the term 'square' is misleading as it means sides of equal length and corners of 90 degrees.

It is virtually impossible to set the grid to square in this mode, unless the image itself is square.
I notice that you use edit-boxes with spin controls that accept floating point numbers in other parts of the application, so I suggest making the ones in the 'Division' settings floating point as well, and when clicking 'square', it calculates the number of divisions vertically.
Ie. if h=height of the image, w=width, dx=number of divisions horizontally and dy=divisions vertically then
dy=dx*h/w
And use this for subsequent divisions when zooming.

One thing that is more like a real bug is that the 'Offset' radio buttons should be deactivated if the 'Divisions" radio button is selected, because modifying them moves only the first horizontal line, or likewise only the first vertical line, without moving the rest of the grid.
I've attached an image where the grid is in division mode and I have offset both horizontally and vertically.
grid.jpg
grid.jpg (975.46 KiB) Viewed 451 times