Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

adan1

animated webp

Post by adan1 »

Please support!
Marsu42

Re: animated webp

Post by Marsu42 »

adan1 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:14 am Please support!
... I was just about to post the very same suggestion, so +1

=> Just now I'm using the (excellent) Quickviewer for animated webp https://github.com/kanryu/quickviewer/releases - but I'd really like to get back to XnView asap

... why should anyone care about animated webp?
- webp is on the rise as it's supported in all major browsers by now
- adds multiple features over gif animation like >256 colors
- has smaller file size vs. gif even in lossless 1:1 conversion (much smaller file sizes in lossy mode)
- btw: apng isn't supported in IE/Edge and won't make it as webp supercedes it
adan1

Post by adan1 »

Marsu42 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:32 pm
adan1 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:14 am Please support!
... I was just about to post the very same suggestion, so +1

=> Just now I'm using the (excellent) Quickviewer for animated webp https://github.com/kanryu/quickviewer/releases - but I'd really like to get back to XnView asap

... why should anyone care about animated webp?
- webp is on the rise as it's supported in all major browsers by now
- adds multiple features over gif animation like >256 colors
- has smaller file size vs. gif even in lossless 1:1 conversion (much smaller file sizes in lossy mode)
- btw: apng isn't supported in IE/Edge and won't make it as webp supercedes it
Oh its a great application. Animated webp supported, and gif playback speed is fine. In XnView, gif playback speed is slow down.

I wan to say a situation:
You browse many web pages, then download some webp or animated webp images. After six months, you want to sort these images. Open a webp image with XnView(default), but popup error and you do not remember is or not animated webp. So you may think downloaded a bad file and delete it.
Of course, its not XnView's fault. The webp format confusing us, users do not know which lossy compressed which lossless compressed which animated.
Marsu42

Post by Marsu42 »

adan1 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:02 am Oh its a great application. Animated webp supported, and gif playback speed is fine. In XnView, gif playback speed is slow down.
Indeed gif animation isn't very fast, but XnView excels at browsing and sorting images - Quickviewer lacks even the most basic file copy/move command (though there's a request ticket over there)
adan1 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:02 am The webp format confusing us, users do not know which lossy compressed which lossless compressed which animated.
True, that's why png never officially included animated png - the 3rd party apng extension came later and still isn't supported in IE/Edge.

However, as webp is open source and has a lib, and XnView already has non-animated webp and animated gif support ... I guess adding animated webp shouldn't be that difficult?

Heck, XnView supports even some very obscure formats either out of the box or with plugins (which is great) - lacking full webp support as the up and coming standard is a little odd.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Marsu42 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:37 pm Indeed gif animation isn't very fast,
why not very fast??
Pierre.
Marsu42

Post by Marsu42 »

xnview wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:39 pm
Marsu42 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:37 pm Indeed gif animation isn't very fast,
why not very fast??
In comparison with QuickViewer (https://kanryu.github.io/quickviewer/), XnViewMP (I'm using Win10 x86 and x64) has a larger delay upon loading larger animated .gif files - this is more noticeable when flipping though files on a network drive. Quickviewer is simply faster/leaner, but this is by no means a showshopper given XnViewMP's feature set and multi-platform support. But maybe XnViewMP can improve upon pre-caching the next files, in this case .gif animations?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Marsu42 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:32 am In comparison with QuickViewer (https://kanryu.github.io/quickviewer/), XnViewMP (I'm using Win10 x86 and x64) has a larger delay upon loading larger animated .gif files - this is more noticeable when flipping though files on a network drive. Quickviewer is simply faster/leaner, but this is by no means a showshopper given XnViewMP's feature set and multi-platform support. But maybe XnViewMP can improve upon pre-caching the next files, in this case .gif animations?
could you send me a gif sample with long loading?
Pierre.
Marsu42

Post by Marsu42 »

xnview wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:48 am
Marsu42 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:32 am In comparison with QuickViewer (https://kanryu.github.io/quickviewer/), XnViewMP (I'm using Win10 x86 and x64) has a larger delay upon loading larger animated .gif files - this is more noticeable when flipping though files on a network drive. Quickviewer is simply faster/leaner, but this is by no means a showshopper given XnViewMP's feature set and multi-platform support. But maybe XnViewMP can improve upon pre-caching the next files, in this case .gif animations?
could you send me a gif sample with long loading?
I've sent you a sample with pm.

Please compare loading time (direct open or browsing though img list) with Quick Viewer.

XnView is rather slow and the app freezes while parsing the gif, so I cannot even jump over it when browsing images.

This affects all larger gifs, esp videos converted to gif like this sample. And yes, this is rather common :-)
oakside

Animated WebP

Post by oakside »

I really want to condense my library of animated GIFs. WebP looks like the most promising successor for animated GIFs. From unbeatable file size, and ease of encoding (simply using FFmpeg at the moment), to wide range of support. Please implement support for animated WebP if possible! Tried a few other candidates (they're mostly video formats, MP4 and GIFV, but also APNG). But it looks like WebP has them all beat. Hopefully animated WebP files are viewable in XnView in the near-ish future (using Firefox for now.) And eventually... supported for encoding inside XnView (straight from animated GIF to WebP).

Or: Am I missing something? Is there any other photo format that will condense ancient animated GIFs substantially and is fully supported (read, write) in XnView? There are a couple video formats (minimal read only), usable but not quite ideal for XnView. On the other hand, the short GIFs are not quite right for a video player either IMO.

Update: It seems there are a few more candidates, like HEIF and BPG and FLIF. Possibly AVIF (AV1) soon. And WebP is a bit older than I realized (VP8). Amazing it is taking so long for a format to come along and succeed GIF, JPG and the others. But maybe... hopefully we are almost there (HEIF now has the lead).

Update Part Deux: And... now I'm noticing the quality (or file size) is just not great with WebP. I guess it's just too old of a codec. I think I'll be moving on to x264 or x265 with FFmpeg (both video formats, but supported by XnView). Quick, batch file to convert all-the-GIFs. Can rename ext to GIFV (Imgur) to clearly separate from video files. Amazing quality and size, esp. with x265. Batch sample: for %%f in (c:\output\ffm\input\*.gif) do ffmpeg -i "%%f" -c:v libx265 -crf 24 -preset slow -tune fastdecode -profile:v main -pix_fmt yuv420p -movflags faststart -vf "scale=trunc(iw/2)*2:trunc(ih/2)*2" "c:\output\ffm\%%~nf.mkv"
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Marsu42 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:17 pm Please compare loading time (direct open or browsing though img list) with Quick Viewer.

XnView is rather slow and the app freezes while parsing the gif, so I cannot even jump over it when browsing images.

This affects all larger gifs, esp videos converted to gif like this sample. And yes, this is rather common :-)
I've sent you a PM
Pierre.
Spfnym

Post by Spfnym »

I would request this also. APNG isn't supported by GIMP yet but animated WebP is, so there's that also as a motivation for me personally. And GIF is absolutely horrible as a format so it really NEEDS a good alternative. Having better support for the alternatives in image viewers such as XnView maybe could be a small step toward moving away from the abominable GIFs. Currently I'm having to switch to using Gwenview to view animated WebP images.