Import & Sort : Move & Batch Convert

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

m.Th.
XnThusiast

Import & Sort : Move & Batch Convert

Post by m.Th. »

Import & Sort could be a very sought and powerfull feature by photojournalists / news photographers, however it lacks few things in order to be really usefull for the (by far) most used workflow: downloading the images from a memory card / camera:

1. Almost nobody should use „Copy” as trasfer method. The natural method is „Move” because everyone wants to …well… import (that is move) his photos from the temporary storage (usually a memory card) to the Destination Directory. Besides that, „Copy” can create duplicates. I think that you can add a checkbox there saying „Delete the destination files after transfer”.
2. A very, very useful tool is to add „Batch Convert” as a button to execute a batch convert job before transfer on Soruce and/or after transfer on Destination. – this would be a killer feature: just fill the Source Folder of Batch Convert dialog with Source of Import & Sort (or with Destination of Import & Sort), and allow the user to set up the parameters at the beginning of the Import & Sort workflow.
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
nathan8

Re: Import & Sort : Move & Batch Convert

Post by nathan8 »

Would be nice to be able to Move files.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

m.Th. wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:15 pm 2. A very, very useful tool is to add „Batch Convert” as a button to execute a batch convert job before transfer on Soruce and/or after transfer on Destination. – this would be a killer feature: just fill the Source Folder of Batch Convert dialog with Source of Import & Sort (or with Destination of Import & Sort), and allow the user to set up the parameters at the beginning of the Import & Sort workflow.
do you think that we need to apply some process before importing?
Pierre.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

xnview wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:45 am
m.Th. wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:15 pm 2. A very, very useful tool is to add „Batch Convert” as a button to execute a batch convert job before transfer on Soruce and/or after transfer on Destination. – this would be a killer feature: just fill the Source Folder of Batch Convert dialog with Source of Import & Sort (or with Destination of Import & Sort), and allow the user to set up the parameters at the beginning of the Import & Sort workflow.
do you think that we need to apply some process before importing?
Well... it depends what you mean by „need”. Definitely, definitely, definitely some are in a huuuge need for this: news/sports photographers.

Here is a workflow which can be used and actually IS used at Olympics but using another software:

1. Shoot the photos on the Memory Card (MC A)
2. Put the Memory Card (MC A) in Card Reader and set-up the Import & Sort to:
2a. Rename photos to [Filename]-[DateTimeTaken]
2b. Resize photos from #2 at Height=1080 (that is for screen / web) -> save them as compressed JPG in \\Company-Server\Web-Publish
2c. Import & Sort on My Local NAS.

When the #2 is started I already left with another Memory Card (MC B) to continue shooting the event. When I came back, my other Memory Card (MC A) is already empty, the photos are safe on my computer and, also, converted, resized and already sent to the editorial staff.
m. Th.

xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

m.Th. wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:21 am Here is a workflow which can be used and actually IS used at Olympics but using another software:
so we can imagine to set a xbs script for processing?
Pierre.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

xnview wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:33 pm
m.Th. wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:21 am Here is a workflow which can be used and actually IS used at Olympics but using another software:
so we can imagine to set a xbs script for processing?
Yes - just be sure to have a „Move” (that is „Delete the source file after copy” already present in Batch Convert).
m. Th.