Comments: Descript.ion & Embedded

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

areimunde

Comments: Descript.ion & Embedded

Post by areimunde »

Hello all,

As a long time user of acdsee from the early days (1.x classic in win 95 i believe) which moved out of it and into XnView long ago (and very happy about it) I have a suggestion which is of special usefulness for image collectors. Descript.ion support has been a favorite feature for me and many of my collector friends for years since is the only way not to modify the original file and is does not matter what OS or platform you use. Also, is the only method which works with any kind of file type, even video.

It would be very wise to prioritize descript.ion comments over embedded ones in the comment column for the browsing list. Now, if there are both types, only the embedded one shows up in the file list if you enable that column. I believe, either descripti.ion should have priority or even better (although more difficult and cumbersome to do) , or there could be an option in Settings to choose which one to prioritize.

I have many thousand photography images collected over the years (over 500GB), private and public domain ones and about 40% of them have been "described" since the start either using acdsee or other image viewers before XnView. Embedded comments started to have general support in windows 7 upwards (vs descript.ion which was introduced by nDOS back in the late 80s/early 90s) and even then they do not work as well, specially since it modifies the file date and I believe size and CRC, if not in XnView (not really sure), in windows it does. Also nowadays Embedded comments are usually created/modified by image processing robots which add file creation info or even info created by the photographer/publisher. Most collectors I know do not want to change files at all, not even their names or modified times because they want to keep the originals and want to know when they where saved/downloaded, and do not want to create/modify embedded comments for that reason.

Also, as a user requested a few years ago, it would be nice to be able to edit the comment just double clicking on the column itself as it was possible with acdsee classic. He was responded with a question by Pierre, who had a doubt and he didn't answer back to him, hence the request didn't go through. I hope it works this time since this will make XnView much more user friendly for most collectors out there.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Comments: Descript.ion & Embedded

Post by xnview »

please check settings>File list>Comment field
Pierre.
areimunde

Post by areimunde »

xnview wrote:please check settings>File list>Comment field
Hi Pierre,

Thank you for your reply.

I remember now I did notice that setting sometime ago but choosing "Description, embedded comment" or "Embedded comment, description" made no difference so I thought it was for some other thing (is that a bug?). I have chosen "description" for the time being so I can see the description in case the file has both and it works :-) However I'd like to be able to see both prioritizing descriptions. Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

Merci beaucoup
areimunde

Post by areimunde »

areimunde wrote:Hello all,
Also, as a user requested a few years ago, it would be nice to be able to edit the comment just double clicking on the column itself as it was possible with acdsee classic. He was responded with a question by Pierre, who had a doubt and he didn't answer back to him, hence the request didn't go through. I hope it works this time since this will make XnView much more user friendly for most collectors out there.

Any thought about this?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

areimunde wrote: Any thought about this?
yes will be better
Pierre.