Reduce to the max

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Pictator

Reduce to the max

Post by Pictator »

XNview is great, but in my opinion it lacks on the freeware-syndrom like gimp, libre-office.... too much functions in too hidden places...
As more function as more potential of traps and DO NOT find what i need / i´m looking for.

First of all: There are 2 types i painfully miss: affinity-photo and SVG. For aphoto-files i get only a generic app-thumbnail and for svg nothing.
BTW: Affinity Photo lacks of a good media-browser from inside the app ... so maybe you booth could do a handshake????

I would prefer a more easy-to-use-version of XNV, without confusing stuff like 1000 new categories without asking me... and this complete confusing category-master-groups.... I have categories with sub-categories... so, for what this extra "group-manger" ????

I have hundreds new categories (i did not have created) and i cannot delete a batch of them, just a single one... Well i cvan first move all to a "categorie-folder" and delete this folder, but why this long-windowed and confusing way???

Also i would like to manage my views complete separately, eg. preview and properties in TWO allways open single-thread-"windows"... and then say: Save this current view and thats all.
EDIT: i found this preview "separate", but now i try to get this windo on the right side... maybe i will find this too, but its all to hidden...

I do not like this windows-311-look (even with themes... it looks "cheap"). Well, i´m an osx-kid - we are a little bit own by this question;-)

I really like the explorer-like-path-navigation (also for my favorite-folder, thats much more better than this finder-double-click-need...) and i like this "smart-searcrhing via tags/categories/collections just in XNV...) and all this shorties for "staring" and batch-categoriezing via right-click... thats great.
Working with finder/filesystem is quiet well (i just miss drag and drop a folder into another, but its possible via context-menu....) and creating new ones, show in "explorer" works also fine.
The performance, the needed ressources for thumbnails... is fantastic! So except this points XNV is really great, but in moment i prefer Adobe Bridge, even with its extraordinary ressourcen-wasting.
Adobe Bridge does not have this lacks i mentioned. It just needs exorbitant ressources for the app "itself" (the whole Adobe-stuff) and for the thumbnail-library
Maybe you could do i deep view inside Bridge how to simplify things (make it more comfortable).

BTW: i donate all freeware i "daily" use. In the moment i use AB, not XNV.
mcbrx

Re: Reduce to the max

Post by mcbrx »

Oh no, just this "Win-311 look" is very nice and effective.
Minimal window elements and maximum information, no overloaded design.
Everything is completely configurable.
Please leave it that way!
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: Reduce to the max

Post by XnTriq »

Welcome to the forum, Pictator.
Pictator wrote:First of all: There are 2 types i painfully miss: affinity-photo and SVG. For aphoto-files i get only a generic app-thumbnail and for svg nothing.
Pictator wrote:I would prefer a more easy-to-use-version of XNV, without confusing stuff like 1000 new categories without asking me... and this complete confusing category-master-groups.... I have categories with sub-categories... so, for what this extra "group-manger" ????

I have hundreds new categories (i did not have created) and i cannot delete a batch of them, just a single one... Well i cvan first move all to a "categorie-folder" and delete this folder, but why this long-windowed and confusing way???
You can prevent XnViewMP from importing keywords in ToolsSettings...MetadataIPTC & XMP.