Image darkening when drawing a selection

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

deus-ex

Image darkening when drawing a selection

Post by deus-ex »

Currently when drawing a selection the image is darkened except for the selected area. Quite often this makes drawing a precise selection unnecessarily difficult as details of the image get indistinguishable in the darkened area.

• Please add an option to toggle off the image darkening when drawing a selection.

EDIT: I withdraw the request because the functionality is already available, but it is unclear that it requires a restart of XnViewMP to become active (see discussion below).
Last edited by deus-ex on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Image darkening when drawing a selection

Post by cday »

deus-ex wrote:Currently when drawing a selection the image is darkened except for the selected area. Quite often this makes drawing a precise selection unnecessarily difficult as details of the image get indistinguishable in the darkened area.
  • Please add an option to toggle off the image darkening when drawing a selection.
Added recently in Tools > Settings... > View > View tab -- Show highlight selection :D

Uncheck the option, a restart is required before the change takes effect I think.

A useful new option, but personally I'd like another option added to hide the grid within the selection when it isn't needed...
deus-ex

Post by deus-ex »

cday wrote:Uncheck the option, a restart is required before the change takes effect I think.
Hello cday, thank you for your reply. Indeed a restart is required for the setting to take effect. I tried this option previously, but apparently it did nothing for me as it is not clear that a restart of XnView is required.
cday wrote:A useful new option, but personally I'd like another option added to hide the grid within the selection when it isn't needed...
Well, so I can give back the favour right away. :)
This function is already available, too, although it's quite well hidden.

How to toggle on/off the selection grid:
  1. Open an image either in View mode or Fullscreen mode.

2. Press [Shift+X] to open a cropping menu right below the tool bar at the top of the image.

3. Click on the "Grid" image to en-/disable it accordingly.

4. Steps 1-3 need to be repeated each for View mode and Fullscreen mode as the setting is saved independently of each other.
Last edited by deus-ex on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

deus-ex wrote:
cday wrote:I'd like another option added to hide the grid within the selection when it isn't needed...
This function is already available, although it's quite well hidden.

How to toggle on/off the selection grid:
  1. Open an image either in View mode or Fullscreen mode.

2. Press [Shift+X] to open a cropping menu right below the tool bar at the top of the image.

3. Click on the "Grid" image to disable it accordingly.

4. Steps 1-3 need to be repeated each for View mode and Fullscreen mode as the setting is independently of each other.
Thanks,I'll have to look at that later.

I'd really like to be able to make a selection in 'MP similar to selection in XnView Classic, just a simple selection rectangle without darkening outside the selection, and without the grid within the selection.

The grid within the selection may well in some circumstances be a useful addition in 'MP, and some people doubtless prefer that the area outside the selection is highlighted, but I imagine most users were content with selection in 'Classic... :D

Options to control both features would be useful, the practical problem being discoverability and potential confusion as the number of configuration options is increased.