Fullscreen: Navigation with left-right mouse button

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

HanVroon

Fullscreen: Navigation with left-right mouse button

Post by HanVroon »

Hello all,

In XnView classic there was an option to enable navigation in Fullscreen with the left and right mouse button.
This was in Options, View, Fullscreen.
So an options just when in Fullscreen mode, not global.

I used to turn that option on sometimes when viewing photos with several people and the mouse would be close to me and the keyboard further away.
In all other situations the general options set in Interface, tab Mouse, should remain as configured.
So just a toggle option for Fullscreen mode would be nice to have back.

Best regards,
Han
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: Fullscreen: Enable navigation with left-right mouse butt

Post by m.Th. »

You have the playbar in the middle-bottom part of the full-screen. You have there 3 buttons: Back one, Play, Forward one. You can click on them.

You can enable it via Tools | Settings | FullScreen - check "Show Playbar"

Also you can configure the Mouse wheel for this: Tools | Settings | Interface | Mouse - Mouse Wheel choose Prev/Next file.

Ok, Pierre can add to Left Button an option called "Prev File" and to the Right Button an option called "Next File"
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
helmut

Re: Fullscreen: Enable navigation with left-right mouse butt

Post by helmut »

HanVroon wrote:In XnView classic there was an option to enable navigation in Fullscreen with the left and right mouse button.
This was in Options, View, Fullscreen.
So an options just when in Fullscreen mode, not global. ...
+1 (I've just added this to the list of missing features compared to XnView Classic.)
HanVroon

Re: Fullscreen: Navigation with left-right mouse button

Post by HanVroon »

Besides the sections categories, rating and other database stuff in XnViewMP I could rate myself as "XnThusiast", so I know about the playbar.
My suggestion would be for those who want a clean fullscreen view without anything on it, not even temporary while the pointer is moved, like the playbar.
Personally I don't like mouse wheel press options. With certain mouses it is hard to press the wheel without also scrolling a little, so in this case perhaps zooming when configured. But that's a personal matter.
Assigning options to the left and right button would make it global, this suggestion goes for Fullscreen only.
So I would go for the addition of the setting to View, Fullscreen.
areimunde

Post by areimunde »

HanVroon wrote:Besides the sections categories, rating and other database stuff in XnViewMP I could rate myself as "XnThusiast", so I know about the playbar.
My suggestion would be for those who want a clean fullscreen view without anything on it, not even temporary while the pointer is moved, like the playbar.
Personally I don't like mouse wheel press options. With certain mouses it is hard to press the wheel without also scrolling a little, so in this case perhaps zooming when configured. But that's a personal matter.
Assigning options to the left and right button would make it global, this suggestion goes for Fullscreen only.
So I would go for the addition of the setting to View, Fullscreen.
Why not using mouse wheel without pressing on it... i do navigate through images while in full view with just moving the wheel which is very convenient.
HanVroon

Post by HanVroon »

Because that eliminates the possibility to zoom in/out with the wheel while in Fulls screen mode.
areimunde

Post by areimunde »

HanVroon wrote:Because that eliminates the possibility to zoom in/out with the wheel while in Fulls screen mode.
True. However if Pierre adds the possibility of using a key modifier for zooming (i.e. crtl ) you could use both...

See post viewtopic.php?f=60&t=34188
HanVroon

Post by HanVroon »

Hi Pierre,

Is it possible to add this option "Enable navigation with left and right mouse button" like in XnView Classic?
Or is that to complicated?

So, just in Full screen mode, Settings > View > Fullscreen.
Not interfering with the general settings in Settings > Interface, on the tab Mouse.

The reason why this can be nice is for presentation like situations where the keyboard is not close, just a mouse.

Regards,
Han
helmut

Post by helmut »

In XnView MP 0.99.7 you can set the action that is triggered when pressing left / right mouse button. There are also the actions "Next image" and "Previous image". But this applies for both view mode and fullscreen mode. Also, it doesn't work too well because when right clicking the context menu is also opened all the time.

A setting specific setting per mode (image view, Fullscreen) is still missing and would be good.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

do you have tried the latest version?
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:26 am do you have tried the latest version?
I've just tried the latest version of XnView MP (v1.00) and left/right mouse navigation still doesn't work properly. In XnView Classic there was an explicit setting for fullscreen (Tools > Settings | View | Fullscreen) but there is no such setting in XnView MP. And when setting right and left mouse key to "Previous image" and "Next image" the context menu still appears when pressing right mouse button.

I think it's important to allow for different settings in image view mode and fullscreen mode, so setting "Enable navigation with left / right mouse button" for fullscreen in XnView Classic was really a good thing. As an alternative to this option there all mouse settings could be specific for image view mode and fullscreen mode if wanted by user - this would provide most flexibility. By default behaviour in both modes should be the same.