Default behaviour for mouse wheel in Viewer

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

Default behaviour for mouse wheel in Viewer

Post by helmut »

<Moderator's note: Originally this was a bug report but it turned out to be a suggestion.>
___

Subject: 0.83: Mouse wheel doesn't zoom in/out by default

When using the mouse wheel in View mode, XnView navigates to the previous/next image. Instead, XnView should zoom in/out.

By default, mouse wheel should do zooming and not navigating (like in XnView Classic).
thibaud

Re: 0.83: Mouse wheel doesn't zoom in/out by default

Post by thibaud »

you call for an uniformisation of behavior between same author's software.
I'd call for un standardisation of behavior in regard to what the majority of similar software propose (about every other image viewer I know uses the mouse wheel to next/prev)
helmut

Post by helmut »

thibaud wrote:you call for an uniformisation of behavior between same author's software.
I'd call for un standardisation of behavior in regard to what the majority of similar software propose (about every other image viewer I know uses the mouse wheel to next/prev)
Both uniformisation and standardisation are important, thibaud. But why make all those changes in XnView MP, only? From my point of view, XnView MP should be a 1:1 port of XnView Classic. And if things like a default behaviour should be changed, then this should be discussed and changed in both XnView MP and XnView Classic.
helmut

Post by helmut »

I think that XnView MP and XnView Classic should behave the same way if possible.

Personally, I'd prefer if mouse wheel would zoom in/out by default. Other opinions (apart from thibaud and mine)? Is there a de-facto standard?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

helmut wrote:I'd prefer if mouse wheel would zoom in/out by default. Other opinions (apart from thibaud and mine)? Is there a de-facto standard?
Zooming with the mouse wheel seems a standard, but it's using Ctrl + mouse wheel, isn't it? [MS Office, Libre Office, Firefox, Opera and Adobe Acrobat, for example].

That would leave 'mouse wheel' free for next/previous image as a de facto standard in image viewers, as thibaud suggested above...
areimunde

Post by areimunde »

thibaud wrote:you call for an uniformisation of behavior between same author's software.
Agreed. Mouse wheel while pressed could do that instead.
areimunde

Post by areimunde »

helmut wrote:I think that XnView MP and XnView Classic should behave the same way if possible.

Personally, I'd prefer if mouse wheel would zoom in/out by default. Other opinions (apart from thibaud and mine)? Is there a de-facto standard?
I believe mouse wheel navigation (without key modifiers) is the best way to go and a de facto standard since Acdsee Classic...

Using either a key modifier or pressing on the wheel while moving it could do.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

so by default Wheel=>Zoom, Ctrl+Wheel=>Next/previous file?
Pierre.
areimunde

Post by areimunde »

xnview wrote:so by default Wheel=>Zoom, Ctrl+Wheel=>Next/previous file?
Since moving to next previous is the most used of both I would say the other way around...

default Wheel=>Next/previous file
Ctrl+Wheel=>Zoom
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

areimunde wrote: default Wheel=>Next/previous file
Ctrl+Wheel=>Zoom
it's already the default
Pierre.
AMDphreak

Re: Default behaviour for mouse wheel in Viewer

Post by AMDphreak »

Consider: What is used MOST OFTEN by a user? Flipping through all of their images really fast? or ZOOMING? It is always ZOOMING. You need to be able to control the current image, foremost. Who cares about scrolling to reach the next image? If this is a common practice among image viewers, then it needs to get forgotten, really fast. Take some hints from video game development. The mouse is the most powerful and convenient tool. Make the UI take advantage of that.

This app does not currently have an intuitive and sensible UI.

FULLSCREEN BEHAVIOR:
  • GET RID OF +/- keys to zoom in and out.
  • KEEP LeftArrow/RightArrow switches images.
  • GET RID OF UpArrow/DownArrow scrolls image up and down when Zoomed in. This is inconsistent use of arrow keys!
  • MAKE UpArrow/DownArrow show image filmstrip temporarily, to aid the user in switching images quickly. This would be immensely helpful when scrolling quickly through images.
  • MAKE Single-click temporarily zoom in from Fit-to-screen to 100% zoom, and allow the user to pan the image by moving the mouse. When the user releases the click, zoom back out to Fit-to-screen. This is how FastStone works, and it's brilliant.
  • MAKE Scroll button zoom IN/OUT.
  • MAKE Numpad0 Fit-to-screen, Numpad1 100% zoom, Numpad2 200% zoom. Make them sticky changes, so the user doesn't have to keep the button depressed. These are ridiculously convenient. FastStone has this.
  • MAKE Default Zoom level 1:1 for images smaller than the screen size and Fit-to-screen for larger images. This is just common sense!
  • CHANGE Escape Key goes to the browser Exits the program. This allows the Full screen mode to be seamlessly integrated into Windows Explorer workflows. Having Escape key go to the BROWSER mode disrupts Windows Explorer workflows immensely.
TABBED VIEWER BEHAVIOR:
  • Same as FullScreen Behavior with below modifications.
  • CHANGE ENTER key goes back to GALLERY/BROWSER enters FullScreen mode. This allows the user to intuitively re-reach full-screen mode by double-clicking the Enter key.
  • KEEP Escape key closes Tab
GALLERY/BROWSER VIEW BEHAVIOR:
  • KEEP ENTER key goes to Tabbed Viewer.
  • MAKE Escape key allows user to Exit the program (prompts user to confirm). This makes exiting the program from an open image easy: Hold Escape key until all Viewers disappear and the Exit dialog pops up, or manually switch back to GALLERY/BROWSER view and hit Escape.
bsteph10

Re: Default behaviour for mouse wheel in Viewer

Post by bsteph10 »

I want to reiterate the usefulness of this feature mentioned below and highly recommend it. It's really the only feature that keeps me using FastStone instead of fully committing to XnView. Just to be clear, this feature is most useful in the Preview pane.

MAKE Single-click temporarily zoom in from Fit-to-screen to 100% zoom, and allow the user to pan the image by moving the mouse. When the user releases the click, zoom back out to Fit-to-screen. This is how FastStone works, and it's brilliant.

Thank you