Bring back default "Auto Image Size" option!

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

jobangles
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:36 pm

Bring back default "Auto Image Size" option!

Post by jobangles » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:36 pm

Hello!

Please bring back the default "Auto Image Size" option. This allowed the user to keep a default image size setting for every time you opened an image. Currently on version .81, XnViewMP, once you use "Fit size to window" it defaults to that setting and it's very difficult to change it to "No Fit" (default image size). I say difficult, because every time I want to go back to original resolution, I must press "*" for 100% resolution.

My ultimate goal here is to be able to open an image with the following parameters:
By default, when you open an image >
>if image is larger than screen resolution, fit to screen (viewing at fullscreen)
>if image is smaller than screen resolution, open at original resolution

Currently, if I open an image and leave the option at "Fit size to window" or change the image size because I wanted to upscale a small image, my next image that I open that is smaller than my screen resolution with will automatically open at "Fit to full screen", instead of at it's original resolution.

This is the setting from the old XnView:
Image

User avatar
zafio
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Bring back default "Auto Image Size" option!

Post by zafio » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:12 am

+1

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 30994
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Bring back default "Auto Image Size" option!

Post by xnview » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:10 am

If you use "Fit size to window", you can change the setting after and it will be kept next time. not for you?

please tell me how to reproduce?
Pierre.

jobangles
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:36 pm

Re: Bring back default "Auto Image Size" option!

Post by jobangles » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:34 am

xnview wrote:If you use "Fit size to window", you can change the setting after and it will be kept next time. not for you?

please tell me how to reproduce?
I think you may have misunderstood my request (probably because I made such a complicated explanation, sorry).

What I want is the default setting for whenever I open an image to be set on "Fit image to window, large only". Currently, if I use "Fit image to window, large only", then increase/decrease the size of the image or use "Fit image to window", the next time I open an image, it will automatically use "Fit image to window".

What is currently happening:
1. open image, use "Fit image to window, large only"
2. increase or decrease image size, then set to "Fit image to window", exit full screen
3. open image = Will be set to "Fit image to window"

What I want:
1. open image, use "Fit image to window, large only"
2. increase or decrease image size, then set to "Fit image to window", close image
3. open image = will be at default setting "Fit image to window, large only"

Note that this happens during Viewer mode and Fullscreen mode, in which you will have to set both instances to the setting you want ("Fit image to window", or "Fit image to window, large only")

Jeneko
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:23 am

Re: Bring back default "Auto Image Size" option!

Post by Jeneko » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:40 am

Yes, please, make it as in original XnView! It was very convenient.

Like that:
- When I click on image smaller than my screen, XnView window opens in sizes of that image (without any empty spaces around image inside window).
- And if image is too big, then XnView window opens maximized and image scales to window's size.

Thank you!

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 30994
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Bring back default "Auto Image Size" option!

Post by xnview » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:53 am

See Issue 909 for details.
Pierre.

AngryUser
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:54 pm

Re: Bring back default "Auto Image Size" option!

Post by AngryUser » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:57 pm

xnview wrote:See Issue 909 for details.
What can I find there? Its nothing there. Not a comment, not a solution for the problem.

Please, I am searching for a proper Image Program forever. None seems to provide the most SIMPLE Options I need for image preview.
Especially the problem described here totally ruins XNview for me, after it made such a good start...

All I want is, that when I choose "Auto Image Size" that this option will be remembered as default. Currently, it always switches back to the default on install, which drives me a little crazy...

User avatar
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian
Posts: 5369
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:00 am
Location: Ref Desk

Re: Bring back default "Auto Image Size" option!

Post by XnTriq » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:30 pm

AngryUser wrote:
xnview wrote:See Issue 909 for details.
What can I find there? Its nothing there. Not a comment, not a solution for the problem.
It says “Fixed in Version 0.82” which is currently undergoing beta testing and will soon be released.

See also: View first unread post How to make default "Auto Image Size > Fit image to window"?

Anamon
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:59 pm

Re: Bring back default "Auto Image Size" option!

Post by Anamon » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:05 am

This has been on my wishlist for a long time, it was actually the main reason why I still had XnView installed in parallel to XnViewMP. Thanks to the Xn team for implementing it!

Marsu42
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:55 am

Re: Bring back default "Auto Image Size" option!

Post by Marsu42 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:34 pm

... us added to 0.82, but doesn't work (for me): http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... 11#p134611

AngryUser
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:54 pm

Re: Bring back default "Auto Image Size" option!

Post by AngryUser » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:37 pm

Version 2.38 and still not working.

This is an issue for 11 years with this program already and is still not fixed?

I know, its free and all, but its still sad since its a major downside to this otherwise good program...
Time to move away I think :(

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 30994
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Bring back default "Auto Image Size" option!

Post by xnview » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:15 pm

AngryUser wrote:Version 2.38 and still not working.

This is an issue for 11 years with this program already and is still not fixed?

I know, its free and all, but its still sad since its a major downside to this otherwise good program...
Time to move away I think :(
what's the problem?
Pierre.

AngryUser
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:54 pm

Re: Bring back default "Auto Image Size" option!

Post by AngryUser » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:51 am

xnview wrote:
AngryUser wrote:Version 2.38 and still not working.

This is an issue for 11 years with this program already and is still not fixed?

I know, its free and all, but its still sad since its a major downside to this otherwise good program...
Time to move away I think :(
what's the problem?
Auto Image size setting (in my case "Fit Window size - all pictures") is not saved but only applies when I use it with hotkey.
For me, the auto image size option is always automatically reverted to "Fit Window Size - only large pictures)
The problem then is, that all smaller pics are displayed with their original size instead of beeing zoomed in.

This is absolutly annoying.
I really like XNview because it has all the features I need, but with that particular problem it is not usefull for me sadly.

And it seems to be a bug too, since the whole option seems to be there to be saved, no matter how many pics I open or if I exit the program and start it again.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 30994
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Bring back default "Auto Image Size" option!

Post by xnview » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:12 am

AngryUser wrote: Auto Image size setting (in my case "Fit Window size - all pictures") is not saved but only applies when I use it with hotkey.
For me, the auto image size option is always automatically reverted to "Fit Window Size - only large pictures)
The problem then is, that all smaller pics are displayed with their original size instead of beeing zoomed in.
you means Settings>View>Auto image size?
Pierre.

AngryUser
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:54 pm

Re: Bring back default "Auto Image Size" option!

Post by AngryUser » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:10 am

xnview wrote:
AngryUser wrote: Auto Image size setting (in my case "Fit Window size - all pictures") is not saved but only applies when I use it with hotkey.
For me, the auto image size option is always automatically reverted to "Fit Window Size - only large pictures)
The problem then is, that all smaller pics are displayed with their original size instead of beeing zoomed in.
you means Settings>View>Auto image size?
Yes.

I can set this for one picture, but as soon as I view the next picture the Auto Imagize Size setting switches back to default...

I dont use "Lock Zoom" and I tried some combinations right now but it doesent help and is also not connected to the problem.

Post Reply