Remember crop aspect ratio (via crop icon/toolbar)

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Marsu42

Remember crop aspect ratio (via crop icon/toolbar)

Post by Marsu42 »

This is minor, but still could be optimized for a nice boost in productivity. Whenever you chose the "crop" tool, the aspect ratio defaults to "Free" even if you have set something else before. However, I guess the usual workflow is to cut (and re-cut) the same or multiple pictures to the *same* ar, making you scroll down all over again.

* Suggestion 1: If a fixed ar is set, remember this for the current session, or optimally even across sessions.

* Suggestion 2 ("nice to have"): Add an ar setting "current" as cropping to the same ar should be a standard scenario. Imho, you should even default to that.
Last edited by Marsu42 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Remember crop aspect ratio

Post by cday »

Marsu42 wrote:This is minor, but still could be optimized for a nice boost in productivity. Whenever you chose the "crop" tool, the aspect ratio defaults to "Free" even if you have set something else before. However, I guess the usual workflow is to cut (and re-cut) the same or multiple pictures to the *same* ar, making you scroll down all over again.
You have:

Edit > Set selection size

Edit > Set selection ratio

Are they not working, or do I misunderstand?
Marsu42

Re: Remember crop aspect ratio

Post by Marsu42 »

cday wrote:
Marsu42 wrote:Are they not working, or do I misunderstand?
I was refering to the crop tool when initialized with the icon on the toolbar (which opens another bar ft. an aspect ratio dropdown) - that's where it always resets to free. But thanks for the pointing out other method via the menu and simply using "select", then "crop", this works as I'd like it to.

Btw I feel both these options (crop tool vs toolbar and edit->crop + select) are somewhat overlapping and redundant and don't really integrate. But again, that's really minor and now I've got a working way to do what I'd like to do.
Chipmunk13

Re: Remember crop aspect ratio (via crop icon/toolbar)

Post by Chipmunk13 »

Hi,

I think I have a similar request;
When shooting press work, I need to have a super fast workflow. XnView has been fantastic at speeding up captioning and renaming etc, thank you, I would very much like to speed up part of the editing process, but can't work out how!

1) I've created a crop size to match the original frame size, so I can quickly rotate any images that aren't quite straight, but I can't see a way to make my crop size the default, or set 'last used' as default.
I am working from the icons in the tool bar, again for speed.

2) I can't see a constrain crop to image option, to prevent my crop going outside the image borders. Again, speed working, it is not always easy to accurately keep the crop tool within those margins.

3) Is there a way to set the 'Crop, Save & Next' to 'Crop, Save AS & Next' so I can quickly save the adjusted images to a new (default) folder so as not to compromise the originals.

Thank you

Amanda

XnView.jpg
Jochen S.

Re: Remember crop aspect ratio (via crop icon/toolbar)

Post by Jochen S. »

+1

I'd also like to have the crop mode (via icon) start with a more useful value. Most of the time I don't want "free" crop. So it should either remember the last used value or be configurable in the settings. The "edit > set selection ratio" is no help here since I have to set it again for each image.

And I really like the suggestion 2) made by Amanda for a "constrain to image". Often when fine rotating an image I don't want to crop the maximum but a smaller area. It should be without black edges of course. I don't want to use the "automatic crop resulting image" feature since it crops to much. Think of an image where the most interesting part is in the top left corner. I want to fine rotate the image and keep as much of the corner as possible. That's why I skip the autocrop and do it manually. But now I have to view the image at 100% or more to fine tune that the selected area does not include pixels of the "area without information" created by the rotation. It would be a great help to have a checkbox which would ensure that the selection does not include pixels outside of the original image pixels. This way I could easily select while viewing the whole image.

3) would be helpful, too.

Jochen