Toggle between 100%-view/shrink-to-fit via mouseclick

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Fraenzken

Toggle between 100%-view/shrink-to-fit via mouseclick

Post by Fraenzken »

It would be very nice if it was possible to toggle between 100%-view / shrink-to-fit-view (and lock the present mode when changing to the next picture) by simply clicking the left mouse button. I know that XnView zooms to the area under the mouse cursor when left-clicking, but when the mouse button is released, it returns to shrink-to-fit-view again. This makes it hard to compare subsequent pictures at 100%.

Thanks a lot for considering!
Cheers
Frank
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: Toggle between 100%-view/shrink-to-fit via mouseclick

Post by m.Th. »

Fraenzken wrote:It would be very nice if it was possible to toggle between 100%-view / shrink-to-fit-view (and lock the present mode when changing to the next picture) by simply clicking the left mouse button. I know that XnView zooms to the area under the mouse cursor when left-clicking, but when the mouse button is released, it returns to shrink-to-fit-view again. This makes it hard to compare subsequent pictures at 100%.

Thanks a lot for considering!
Cheers
Frank
Oh, no, not again...

Yet another click-pan-zoom request. :)

There are many of these requests in the forums... ...also (almost) any other competing program implements it. I think that soon we'll have it. ;)

For Pierre:

1. A good example of implementation for this feature is in full-screen mode of FastStone Viewer.
2. Since you use the left-mouse for selecting, transform the Click-Pan-Zoom to Alt-Pan-Zoom - IOW while the Alt key is pressed the image will be zoomed to 100%. Otherwise it will return to its' normal zoom. Photoshop uses the 'H' key for this. It is easy to implement. Use the same code from the Shift key but for zooming.
3. Add a hint / explanatory text saying about these features! I'd suggest to add a '?' (help) button somewhere or a hint box for the fullscreen / preview window!
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
Mugros

Post by Mugros »

I liked the way FSViewer was using the mouse button. Much more intuitive than XnViewMP. But I still ditched it since XnViewMP has a superior JPG converter. I can't imagine who uses the selection tool in fullscreen. A viewer should mainly view files, no need to add editing controls.
The biggest problem is right now that there is no practical way to go to 100% and back quickly in one (customizable) action to inspect detail and image quality. Mouse settings are minimal and changing them doesn't work. I can set left mouse button to "zoom selection" and it's not doing it. Changing the shortcut for 100% breaks this function.
thibaud

Post by thibaud »

Mugros wrote: The biggest problem is right now that there is no practical way to go to 100% and back quickly in one (customizable) action to inspect detail and image quality.
Actually using move picture as the left mouse button action should zoom to 100% and back when released.
I know this is far from clear considering the mouse options windows (hence my post here: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=29616)
Mugros

Post by Mugros »

OK, that works.