Tile Windows (side-by-side image display)

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

DeusExMamiya

Tile Windows (side-by-side image display)

Post by DeusExMamiya »

What I miss most about MP on my Mac, vs the original Xnview on my PC, is the lack of any Windows -> Tile options (Tile Vertically, Tile Horizontally).

I always found that absolutely invaluable for comparing images side-by-side: 2 different images in a sequence, or the same image before and after some processing or other.

Would love to see "Tile..." re-instated.

Ray
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: Tile Windows (side-by-side image display)

Post by m.Th. »

DeusExMamiya wrote:What I miss most about MP on my Mac, vs the original Xnview on my PC, is the lack of any Windows -> Tile options (Tile Vertically, Tile Horizontally).

I always found that absolutely invaluable for comparing images side-by-side: 2 different images in a sequence, or the same image before and after some processing or other.

Would love to see "Tile..." re-instated.

Ray
Do like this:

1. In Browser select the two (or three, or four) files which you want to compare.
2. Choose from the menu Tools the Compare option. (Shift+C is the default shortcut)

Here you have a much more powerful engine for comparing images. Use the mouse with left click pressed for sync move, move + right-click for single move, wheel for sync zoom, ctrl+wheel for single zoom.

You have there some toolbars with options (thumbs strip placement, number of views etc.) and other toolbar with commands. Experiment with them. (except, 'Delete' button of course :) )

...btw, you have a very interesting user name: DeusExMamiya. Do you have some Mamiya cameras? Can you open Mamiya raw files with XnViewMP?
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
HanVroon

Post by HanVroon »

Compare is a very nice looking feature, also seen in Classic, but it can show 4 images maximum.

I use Tile often if I have say 10 images of a subject to choose from to put on one of my webpages.
I copy them to a working directory, open them all with "Open all selected" (which is also not implemented yet) and then use Tile to have them all on the screen.
I then delete images that I chooes not to use (it's a copy) and close their panel and rearrange again with Tile.
Usually I end up with 4 images or so.

I understand that it might not be a priority issue, but I also would really like to see it back in MP.
Bartfratze

Post by Bartfratze »

m.Th. wrote:
DeusExMamiya wrote:Would love to see "Tile..." re-instated.
Me 2.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Currently not possible, XnViewMP is not MDI window like XnView but tabbed window
Pierre.