Idea: 'Basic' and 'Expanded' settings

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

budz45
XnThusiast

Idea: 'Basic' and 'Expanded' settings

Post by budz45 »

Hi,

Right as suggested before somewhere on this forum, I think (maybe) that in the future XnView MP's "Settings" should have a switch-able view between a default 'Basic' settings and an expanded 'Expanded' settings all within the same "Settings" window.

I prefer the naming of 'Expanded' better than using 'Advanced' as the name, since I think 'Advanced' gives users an impression of over-complication even before they have explored the particular settings area. So the name 'Expanded' might be better to use initially.

The "Preferences" found in VLC media player (also a Qt GUI software) is a good example of this:
Image Image

So I think the way the current "Settings" view is (MP v0.39) at time of writing this post should be the view for the "Expanded" and then the "Basic" view would be a much more simpler version.

See here below are my mock-ups (please click on each of the below images to see fully):

Basic view
xn-settings-idea-02.png
xn-settings-idea-02.png (47.61 KiB) Viewed 2434 times
Expanded view -(same as current default XnView MP settings)
xn-settings-idea-01.png
xn-settings-idea-01.png (49.55 KiB) Viewed 2434 times
....You see then most new features added to XnView MP (usually in the form of tickbox settings) would go in the "Expanded" view. I think that the "Expanded" view could be as detailed as possible for the more experienced/tweak-loving XnView users.

Notice how very basic the "Basic" view is - it is only 5 tabs only!! It is nice like this and would never have to change, so simple just 'code' copying.

-If a user last used the 'Expanded' settings then this would be the remembered settings view for when user next launches the "Settings" window.

-I also reckon that there should be some UI animation in this dialog window when switching between 'Basic' and 'Full' :)
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
marsh
XnThusiast

Re: Idea: 'Basic' and 'Expanded' settings

Post by marsh »

budz45 wrote: I prefer the naming of 'Expanded' better than using 'Advanced' as the name, since I think 'Advanced' gives users an impression of over-complication even before they have explored the particular settings area. So the name 'Expanded' might be better to use initially.
I think it is great to use expanded over advanced. Better to avoid any interpretation of categorizing users by their proficiency. The term basic or standard (splitting hairs) could well describe core function or not looking like the cat's breakfast.
It is an intriguing idea weighed with other suggestions like moving or binding items to menu level.
- Rethinking small toolbar filter interaction with file list
- Request: 'Common Images formats strictly'
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

I agree strongly with the "Basic" vs. "Expanded" terminology.

Perhaps this "mode" paradigm could be extended to the toolbars, too. XnView could start in a "basic mode" but be easily switched to the "Expanded mode" without the user having to customize the toolbars in order to access the functionality (see this thread).

Some new users would switch immediately to the "Expanded" mode, others might never use it. It would be important to clarify for the users (upon initial execution of the program) that such a mode exists and to make it easy to switch to it (that is, without having to open the Options panel first).
John
helmut

Post by helmut »

Terminology (Basic / Expanded) is good. Actually, shouldn't it say Basic / Extended?

But why use a different UI (tabs versus category list)? Instead of different UI I think we should stick to the categories and display something like "Basic" / "Expanded" to make the user aware of the different modes.

Also, I wonder how the split of the options is done:
Which options will be available in Basic mode? Which ones in Expanded mode? Will options be mixed or will the basic options be listed first, and then the extended/expanded options. In older Windows times, there where buttons "More >>" which allowed for displaying additional settings/functionality/.... This way the user can decide per category page whether he/she needs more options.

Just various thoughts which show that I'm not really clear and not a fan of the introduction of Basic / Extended options. Virus scanner tools have introduced such modes a long time ago and actually I think those modes were rather confusing than really helping.

Just my 2 euro cents...
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

helmut wrote:Terminology (Basic / Expanded) is good. Actually, shouldn't it say Basic / Extended?
Yes I originally thought of "Extended" before making the post but did not choose to write it. Yes perhaps 'Extended' is better, thanks :)
helmut wrote:But why use a different UI (tabs versus category list)? Instead of different UI I think we should stick to the categories and display something like "Basic" / "Expanded" to make the user aware of the different modes.
Yes you make a good point :) And yes your point is GUI simplification meaning maintaining the 'categories' view type. Ok I will make another mock-up and post. :)
helmut wrote:Also, I wonder how the split of the options is done:
Which options will be available in Basic mode? Which ones in Expanded mode?
As like the mock-up I posted in the original post, only the most needed of options should display in the 'Basic' mode.....Which means it would be the same settings just minimal...For example the 'custom filter' and 'metadata' settings for the Browser, would now instead be displayed in the 'Extended' settings.

I will make a second mock-up later and I will dissect each of all the current v0.39 dialog settings and will arrange them each into list of which would best go under either 'Basic' or 'Extended'

helmut wrote: Will options be mixed or will the basic options be listed first,
yes 'Basic' shown first, but now in same categories GUI view as you suggested.
helmut wrote:In older Windows times, there where buttons "More >>" which allowed for displaying additional settings/functionality/.... This way the user can decide per category page whether he/she needs more options.
I think for this topic we should stick to the 'Basic' & 'Extended' :P ...Just like VLC media player's "preferences".
helmut wrote: Just various thoughts which show that I'm not really clear and not a fan of the introduction of Basic / Extended options. Virus scanner tools have introduced such modes a long time ago and actually I think those modes were rather confusing than really helping.
Precisely! Virus scanners have them because they know that they have broad amount of end-users from the novices to the total pro users. You know in another similar topic on this forum (this one) I suggest the feature desire for some Information text (same as program "Hints") to display in the 'Settings' window which could aid users upon things like changing settings that require a program restart to take effect etc etc...You see also that similar topic could be collated with this one so that if such an 'Information text' was to be implemented it would only need to show in the 'Extended' settings view---> to then help novices/new users who first-time venture into the 'Extended' settings.

helmut wrote:Just my 2 euro cents...
Your welcome :P
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

budz45 wrote:
helmut wrote:In older Windows times, there where buttons "More >>" which allowed for displaying additional settings/functionality/.... This way the user can decide per category page whether he/she needs more options.
I think for this topic we should stick to the 'Basic' & 'Extended' :P ...Just like VLC media player's "preferences".
Parent categories by function (not program section, starting point) would be needed depending on how closely you want mock-up to resemble other product. What is better to see at top? General, Browser, Viewer vs. Main, File list, Audio/Video. Stopping film playback could be done more quickly in MP than split arrangement found in v1.9x for example. At least this would avoid the appearance of stacking modes.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Ok, here is a much more simpler mock-up:
BasicExtended-XnViewMP.png
BasicExtended-XnViewMP.png (35.03 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
It would collapse in/out just like a user operating a folder tree pane. :P
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

This makes very good sense.

So the schema would be to migrate the "Basic" settings to the main topics and the "Expanded" settings to the subtopics?

No other software that I know of does it exactly that way, but it seems a very good idea. It allows both for the division of topics by "importance" and also a clean way of inserting entirely new subtopics (with their settings, of course :D ) without overloading the first level of the list.

Very flexible.

As always, the issue is how to rationally divide the settings into the two groups.

Another approach I have seen is that the parent topic (when selected) shows the content of its first subtopic. This leads to a redundancy, where selecting the parent topic or selecting the first subtopic both lead to the same result. To be avoided, I think.
John