File assocations

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

FelixAkk

File assocations

Post by FelixAkk »

Hi all! I've long loved XnView, and it's great to see XnViewMP shaping up with a lot of great new features and without many of the shortcomings of the predecessor.

I use it so much that I'd love to associate it with image files but I can't seem to find the option, or anything about it on forums. Is there a way to do this from XnViewMP?

I could do it through the association manager of Windows but somehow this screws up all kinds of things like the icons. The only clean way to do this seems through applications themself.

Sorry if this has already been discussed or solved. I through Google and forum searched I couldn't find anything.

cheers!
sullysnet

Re: File assocations

Post by sullysnet »

Weird I just tried to move to MP and had the same issue. Removing the association in xnview (old) will not remove it. So I changed it back to default windows viewer and then tried to change to MP but no matter what I do it wants to associate it with the old one.

Any advice would be great. I could hack the registry but i didn't want to run into other trouble

thanks
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

sullysnet wrote: Removing the association in xnview (old) will not remove it.
Do you start XnView with admin rights
Pierre.
sullysnet

Post by sullysnet »

no I will try that. Un ticking them in the app will remove the association? I will try it now but I will be shocked if it works.

FelixAkk

Post by FelixAkk »

Am I correct that there currently is no file association feature in XnViewMP? Any chance this feature request will be implemented soon? I suppose a port of the code in the original XnView would be suffient for the Windows users :-)
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Yes currently there is no support (as yet) for File Associations
FelixAkk wrote:I suppose a port of the code in the original XnView would be suffient for the Windows users :-)
Yes, but developer would also be trying to find an equivalent File Association method for both Mac OSX and Linux too so to make sure all platforms get it at the same release time.
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
sullysnet

Post by sullysnet »

I tried the run as admin removing the check box for the files I have selected. It doesn't do anything. The file association sticks with Win7 and can only be removed by forcing it to MS image viewer. Then once that is set you can reset XNview to use it but I cannot have both versions on the machine at the same time. No matter how many times I point it at MP it pretty much ignores my selection and goes back to XNview. My hope was to be able to remove all associations from the old XNview and move the MP. The registry entries for the associations stick like glue in Win7. Even if I was to delete and remove XNview all together settings for XNview would be still in the registry (open file with, so on)

As far as I am aware that associations work completely different in Win7 compared to XP. When I removed the check boxes in XP it would remove the association.

thanks
FelixAkk

Post by FelixAkk »

sullysnet wrote: As far as I am aware that associations work completely different in Win7 compared to XP. When I removed the check boxes in XP it would remove the association.
Hm yes I also recall that from when I was using XnView before switching to MP. This is one of the things that I hard to implement correctly I suppose. Although I know open source applications such as MPC-HC do this correctly. Perhaps this is a suggestion to the developers as to get inspiration, and hopefully the file assocation in XnViewMP will have this fixed.

Untill then: backup your file assocations registry before assocating with XnView if you're planning to get to the way things were before.
sullysnet

Post by sullysnet »

Actually I figured out a few things. Always good learning from these type of things. I learned that if I go to default programs - set your default program, you then click on Windows Photo Viewer - set this program as default. This will restore Win7 to it's original associations for all image files (kind of crappy for a few other files but oh well). Make sure in the begging to remove the associations in xnview. Once restored you can then associate xnview through open with or through default programs - associate a file type..... This worked perfectly fine for me but I did remove a few values in the registry. Most are overwritten by doing the Windows Photo Viewer association restore.

I ended up going back to the old xnview because I noticed that if have my pictures set to be full size and move the pic, progressing to the next pic does not reset the view. It keeps the same location of your previous move. So lets say I move the picture down and I'm looking at the ground, in the next picture even though I may not want to be looking at the ground again I will be. It does not reset to the open file position. I hope that makes sense,I know it doesn't do that in the old version.

When restoring back to the old xnview I could not associate through "open with" or associate a file type. I would select the program but it would not take. Then I went back into xnview and selected the associations that I wanted and now it showed in "open with" and or would let me select it in "associate file types".

I would like to see MP use the same way to associate as Windows File Viewer in "set your default program". That would make removing and setting very easy :) but would only work of course if you installed the application. Not sure of a better way.