Windows7 - XnViewMP 0.35 - Crash on startup

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

raducoc

Windows7 - XnViewMP 0.35 - Crash on startup

Post by raducoc »

I'm using a lot XnViewMP 0.35 lately but is crashing a lot at startup. To resolve this I need to replace the XnView.ini with an older, saved previously xnview.ini file who don't generate crashes at startup. I add an archive with the two xnview.ini files. Please if is possible do something with this. Thanks!
Attachments
XnView0.35_Win7_Crash.7z
(167.25 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Windows7 - XnViewMP 0.35 - Crash on startup

Post by xnview »

Strange there is no big difference between the 2 .ini
Perhaps the Path at startup...

Could you try to use "C:/Programe/Util/Launchy/skins/GiNUX/", and check if you have crash?
Pierre.
raducoc

Post by raducoc »

Ok. I just tested again. I associated the .jpg files to be opened with XnView in FullScreen Mode. When is crashing, I'm opening the XnView browser in normal way, change the directory to "C:/Programe/Util/Launchy/skins/GiNUX/", closing the XnView. Now if I'm opening again an image from explorer directly in FullScreen mode, is working once, but if I'm closing using Alt+F4 and reopening again the same image, is crashing again. I think is a problem with the "Viewer mode" of application but unfortunately there is no option to use only the Browser and FullScreen mode. Also, please add custom shortcut for Quit. I'm used to use Esc key to exit some applications.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Oh, you have a crash only if you start XnViewMP from explorer, right?
Pierre.
raducoc

Post by raducoc »

xnview wrote:Oh, you have a crash only if you start XnViewMP from explorer, right?
Yes. Is crashing when launching from explorer.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

raducoc wrote:
xnview wrote:Oh, you have a crash only if you start XnViewMP from explorer, right?
Yes. Is crashing when launching from explorer.
could you send me your email by PM?
Pierre.
uncle lag

Post by uncle lag »

i seem to have the same problem. xnviewmp 0.35 (on win7 x64) crashes on startup if on previous run it was started in fullscreen.

i made a small research and manage to identify that it only crashes if it was previously *CLOSED* while in fullscreen, no matter what happend before closing and how you fire it up (you may enter browser, resize window, but you have to go fullscreen before alt+f4). and i don't run xnviewmp from windows explorer, i use 'far' (far 2.0.1777 x64 to be exact) file manager, dunno if this matters tho. everything is under 'administrator' rights, windows uac shut down, well.. hope dual monitor setup has nothing to do with it. and the fact i'm using "dark theme", right?
rra

Post by rra »

I have these crashes on startup too, but I cannot reproduce the crashing when closed from full screen.
I use windows-7-32 bit with MP035.
Replacing the ini file with an older ini file helps in the case of these crashes.
Then after a while I somehow manage to get these chashes happening again at startup

Rene
shx

Post by shx »

I have crash too.
When start as "Browse with XNViewMP..." - always if directory contains images.
If I start directly - crash when listed directory with images.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Please check XnViewMP 0.38
Pierre.
Louanne

Post by Louanne »

xnview wrote:Please check XnViewMP 0.38
Thanks for the link, I'm having the same issue...
KlausT

Post by KlausT »

I have this problem too. It can be produced with the following settings:
- "Filter by": Images;
- "View as": Thumbnails or Thumbnails+Labels;
- use a startup directory (either "last" or "specified" in the General settings) which contains besides the image files also some other file types like .txt, .zip, .sld, etc;
- restart XnViewMP;
- sometimes, the startup process ends in a crash, sometimes not;
- if a crash occurs, the subsequent restart of XnViewMP crashes in about 70% of retries.

There are several measures to overcome the problem and to restart XnViewMP reliable:
1. change "filter=0" to "filter=5" (means: show all files) in the Browser-section of xnview.ini, or
2. change "viewAs=1" to "viewAs=5" (means: show details) in the Browser-section of xnview.ini, or
3. select a startup directory which has only image files (and/or subdirectories) and change this startup directory in the Start-section of xnview.ini.

I assume that this problem is caused by a race condition during startup. Perhaps XnViewMP uses a multithreading feature of a Qt component to speed up the startup process, and the synchronisation of the threads is not correct. I can observe that in case of "filter=0" the browser shows the thumbnails of all files for a short time and then filters the files to show only the image thumbnails. This filtering operation for thumbnails seems to cause the problem.
Klaus (running Windows)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

I'll contact you
Pierre.
KlausT

Post by KlausT »

Thanks for providing me with the v0.40-preview. This new version has the same problem as v0.39. Both versions crash on startup or while changing directories if the mentioned settings are valid. Please find attached the Windows dump infos:
dump_0.39_crash_while_changing_directory.zip
(49.51 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
dump_0.40-preview_crash_during_startup.zip
(52.57 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
I forgot to mention that I am running on an Intel Pentium 4 processor (3.2 GHz) with hyperthreading technology. The Windows Task Manager tells me, that both CPUs are busy if the crash occurs.

I repeated the tests on my 10 year old notebook with an Intel Pentium 4 (1.8 GHz) without hyperthreading: I am not able to reproduce this problem on a single-CPU machine. This again indicates that this problem may be related to a race condition in a multithreading environment.

Hope this helps.
Klaus (running Windows)
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

this issue might be Qt releated. I had the same situation of having to use a previous .ini over a new 'clean' .ini just to avoid a startup crash. Although I am currently not getting any startup crash with latest v0.40 alpha preview
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only