MP 0.26 Win - Add pseudo-category to display all files

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

andrea.ippo

MP 0.26 Win - Add pseudo-category to display all files

Post by andrea.ippo »

I think it would be useful that if you click a pseudo-category (let's call it "All files") in the category tree, all the files are displayed, both the categorized and uncategorized ones.
This is very handy when you are categorizing a lot of files and want to be able to see which ones are still to be categorized.
Perhaps also another pseudo-category (let's call it "categorized") could be useful, and should display in the right pane only the categorized files.

Of course it should be impossible to assign any of these "pseudo-categories" to any file.
Last edited by andrea.ippo on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Re: MP 0.25 Win - Add pseudo-category to display all files

Post by JohnFredC »

Great idea!

Support+++
John
Evds

Post by Evds »

Support +++
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Could you try XnViewMP 0.26
Pierre.
andrea.ippo

Post by andrea.ippo »

Doesn't seem to work :(

I tell you my folder structure, to allow repetition of the test.

root folder
---folder A -> contains misc. files (saved html, pdf, txt, image files...)
---folder B -> contains misc. files (as before)
---folder C -> contains image files (the ones I'm interested in). Some of these are categorized (subset C1), others are not (subset C2).

Now, this is what I do.
I open XnViewMP, and open folder C from the explorer tree. C's contents are displayed.
Then I switch to the categories pane, expand the new "Special items" tree and click "Uncategorized"

Expected results: XnViewMP shows only the uncategorized (C2) files.
Actual results: XnViewMP shows ALL uncategorized files in root folder (this includes txt, html, js, ...), ALL uncategorized files in A, B and C, plus folders A, B and C.

A screenshot:

Here the highlighted folder is the one I'm interested in (C), the image files you see are contained in C, but others are shown (altough not in the screenshot) that are contained in the other three folders, and in the root folder as well.
where
andrea.ippo

Post by andrea.ippo »

PS: for the pseudo-category "All" the result is similar.
andrea.ippo

Post by andrea.ippo »

I think this should be fixed in the upcoming betas.
In fact, since XnView 1.97 isn't able to handle XMP tags the way MP is able to, I think it would be nice to provide a way to do tagging operations with MP.
In my opinion, porting to MP features that are already present in XnView 1.97 should have a lower priority.
But it's only my opinion, whatever Pierre chooses to do, I'll still love XnView :D
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

andrea.ippo wrote: Now, this is what I do.
I open XnViewMP, and open folder C from the explorer tree. C's contents are displayed.
Then I switch to the categories pane, expand the new "Special items" tree and click "Uncategorized"

Expected results: XnViewMP shows only the uncategorized (C2) files.
Actual results: XnViewMP shows ALL uncategorized files in root folder (this includes txt, html, js, ...), ALL uncategorized files in A, B and C, plus folders A, B and C.
When you use categories pane, the result doesn't take care of the current folder. That's the problem...
Pierre.