XnViewMP new icon

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

thibaud

Re: XnViewMP new icon

Post by thibaud »

may I express some concern regarding the readability of this icon at 16x16.

slightly optimized previous proposal for 16x16
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

thibaud wrote:may I express some concern regarding the readability of this icon at 16x16.

Not a problem, at this tiny level 16x16 (almost never used) an exception can be made :
Something like (here 16x12 pixels for example) or darker if you want....:
real size (334x256 pixels):
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
thibaud

Post by thibaud »

I find the 16x16 icon size to be of extreme importance for an application.
that icon will appear and be always visible at least on the website favicon, main application bar, in the taskbar, and in the start menu... (on windows that is)
but more importantly it could serve as reference for building and styling all the application icons. (that is one of the point I was referring to when talking about integrated communication).

I'm sorry but I don't think the readability has improved at all with your changes on the 16x16 :(
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

thibaud wrote:...
I'm sorry but I don't think the readability has improved at all with your changes on the 16x16 :(
Normal, it's mostly a 12x12 level sample :D Image
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

IMO it is important to avoid transparency in small (16x16) icons. There are so few pixels to work with, an icon needs every one of them.
John
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

thibaud wrote:may I express some concern regarding the readability of this icon at 16x16.

hi,

I already requested that you add a fourth eye lash to your design but you never responded. Nice that you changed the direction of your swirl to match the existing icon
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

I never said that Xn- stands for Xeno-. All I did was to outline how Pierre's programs evolved over time from nConvert to nView (to View2) to XnView.
xnview ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=72691#p72691]History of XnView?[/url]) wrote:The first line of code was in the format's library used by XnView, XnView pocket, NConvert, GFLSDK, ... on an Atari :-), perhaps in 1990. A first version of nconvert & nview was ported on Silicon workstation. And a first version of a nview with GUI (motif) was written in 1995. And finally on windows.
Based on the notion that he was looking for an alternative to the name “XnView MP”, I then suggested “XenoView” (already taken BTW), because the prefix would have...
  1. provided continuity with the nomenclature of MP's predecessors.
  2. reflected one of the software's most prominent features: its capability to “decipher” all kinds of file formats and metadata (» xenophilia).
MaxSt wrote:At least it's not a roadkill cat. :)
LImageL
thibaud wrote:slightly optimized previous proposal for 16x16
I'm actually starting to like this slimmed down version (minus the drop shadow, tho).

Okay, time for a recap: The changing “faces” of XnView...
... and XnPhoto Digital/XnView PhotoPack/XnView Deluxe.
  • Image Image
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

some ideas to inspire creators:
http://www.pixhost.org/show/386/1151261 ... 163845.png
http://www.pixhost.org/show/386/1151262 ... vg-med.png
http://www.pixhost.org/show/386/1151263 ... o_1080.jpg
http://www.pixhost.org/show/386/1151264_dddd.png
http://www.pixhost.org/show/386/1151265 ... y-icon.png
http://www.pixhost.org/show/386/1151266_hgfghf.png
thibaud wrote: slightly optimized previous proposal for 16x16
now looking again as well as an extra eye lash you could also change the orange to a yellow-golden, look at this smiley--> :P --> see it's appealing look with the red
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

So sorry for my lack of enthusiasm but I need to express this...

The more I look at it the more it looks like the underside of an animal paw, or the face of a crying baby from the point of view of a fly that has landed on the baby's chin and is looking up from that vantage point into the baby's open mouth (with curling tongue). The nubs (meant to be eyelashes) are underside of the nose and ears...

I'm also reminded of an advert for novelty contact lenses:

Then there's Betty Boop::

Perhaps I have an overly active imagination, but... once I see something in an image, it is hard to shake the connotation.
John
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

JohnFredC wrote:So sorry for my lack of enthusiasm but I need to express this...
What can I say — I'm still convinced it would be a mistake not to try to get submissions from other designers too. We clearly need a wider variety to choose from.
Of course, that doesn't mean thibaud's proposal won't be the one Pierre picks in the end.
thibaud

Post by thibaud »

ok here is some further development for a new XnView logo, monochrome versions only (I think these are far better to judge a logotype quality) on both dark/light background:
ImageImage

ImageImage
Danny

Post by Danny »

Some nice stuff there thibaud. I'm just not completely sold yet. ;)

The X looks like a D-pad of a joypad, and the N inside the X reminds me a bit of the Nintendo N64 N. The design mark now looks a bit like a spiked lemon. Just to give you some feedback... no offense.
Get the bugs fixed, THEN start adding features. It sucks, but someone has to do it.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Danny wrote:Some nice stuff there thibaud. I'm just not completely sold yet. ;)

The X looks like a D-pad of a joypad, and the N inside the X reminds me a bit of the Nintendo N64 N. The design mark now looks a bit like a spiked lemon. Just to give you some feedback... no offense.
Agree.

Also agree on what Xntriq said in that we need more designing input from others on the logo :mrgreen:
thibaud

Post by thibaud »

2 more proposals:
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Well, thibaud, well no one can say these latest two looking anything other than a true eye.

The second pic is nice; you could try to make the overall eye a bit more rounder in the second pic so that if made into an icon it wouldn't waste unused vertical length in pixels but I don't mean as round as the first pic. Have you tried adding small dotted eye lashes to either pics to see how they would turn out, for XnView logo continuity. Could also post some more colour variants (like you did before) of these two or just the second pic - all my feedback no offence meant.

Your expertise is appreciated, sorry if my feedback sounds like I'm ordering a Big Mac with fries :)