thibaud

Re: XnViewMP new icon

Post by thibaud »

here is a last one then
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

I liked that last one too (the rainbowish-purple) :) The colours on that one certainly give me a photo-viewer themed impression when looking at it, which is a good thing.
I cut n paste the last designs posted here just to see what they would look like as transparent against different backgrounds. I also added a hint of glow too. Some type of glow or drop-shadow could be used on the final larger icon sizes of whichever final design. 48x48 res or higher for that effect, whereas smaller than 48x, of course, would not get those effects..

Let's not forget the icon would be used on Mac OS too and you know how extra-fussy Mac community is about 'good design'. This looks ok though, better than an existing XnView icon on a Mac GUI, that's for sure :)
and... Win 7 aero, ok too

It would be good if a new icon could be ready in time for the next beta :P

Now does anyone think it would be better appropriate to lock this topic to only forum members only?
Last edited by budz45 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Good points Budz... IMO those mockups for Win 7 and the Mac show that that new version (color swirl as iris) will be both ergonomically distinctive (recognizable in a crowd, not confused with something else, communicative of function) and attractive as well.

Thank you Thibaud!
John
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Thanks John for the compliment and ultimately thanks to Thibaud for his works.

here I did this one against the Xn black them;

EDIT:
I like the sharpness of this icon from this app named 'VisualBooster' (Crystal Rich software)

Screenshots of XYplorer's thumbnail-preview resizing (much sharper indeed);

========================

Thibaud, I quite like the greyish-mint you used on the 'view' part of the 'xnview' text. Could you make a version of the same diaphragm blades eye you made but instead of orange use this greyish-mint as the colour? I can't seem to do it well on my own inferior editor.
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

Hello,
I really like the both, so for me it doesn't matter.
PS: But the last one (with the spiral) better meet the prehistoric one ... see here: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... 811#p88811
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

budz45 wrote:Image
I'm sorry, but these two look more chicken than ever before IMHO. :( You could rename xnview to "xicknview". I don't like the "view" text either, it looks as "new".
Dreamer
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Dreamer wrote: I'm sorry, but these two look more chicken than ever before IMHO. :( You could rename xnview to "xicknview". I don't like the "view" text either, it looks as "new".
So what do you propose? By your reckoning the whole design itself would need to change (no golden-orange surrounding eye at all). Also the "v" in that "view" text issue is nothing big, that could easily have a colour change maybe to a matching red to match the dot so that the "v" is better distinguished.

You could create a mock-up yourself of what you could contribute to this topic better by drawing a mock-up of what you think the icon should resemble so that all ideas could be fused together.

....Or would you go for a knife-shape surrounding eye (with same golden-ornage)? Similar to this;

..You have to remember the box constraints (same-unit x same-unit) when fitting the shape of an eye to be made an icon;
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

budz45 wrote:
Dreamer wrote: I'm sorry, but these two look more chicken than ever before IMHO. :( You could rename xnview to "xicknview". I don't like the "view" text either, it looks as "new".
So what do you propose? By your reckoning the whole design itself would need to change (no golden-orange surrounding eye at all). Also the "v" in that "view" text issue is nothing big, that could easily have a colour change maybe to a matching red to match the dot so that the "v" is better distinguished.

You could create a mock-up yourself of what you could contribute to this topic better by drawing a mock-up of what you think the icon should resemble so that all ideas could be fused together.
Yes, I have already started, but I've been busy to finish it today, I'll try to finish it tomorrow.

I'm not against orange - yes, it's not the best for small icon, but I think the new icon should be similar to old one and at least orange should be retained, I'm not sure with red, because I think it should be an eye, so perhaps blue? Pierre has (or had) the same opinion regarding this - similar design, colors, eye.

What I don't like is that those icons look like a chicken, the new swirl idea looks like a different program, this is not good IMHO.

The new icon should be as similar to old one as possible, or the colors should be changed completely but it should look as eye.
Dreamer
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

It's too similar to old xnview logo, I just tried to "implement" blue color...

It's just a mock-up, of course.
Attachments
XnView-red,blue,red+blue.jpg
XnView-red,blue,red+blue.jpg (34.93 KiB) Viewed 3317 times
Dreamer
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

LOL You might as well have posted that you are satisfied with the existing legacy icon and don't want to see a new design added at all. :?

So far I very much like Thibaud's effort on this favourite one:

Darn..Getting an 'eye' logo right is this hard?? Deciding on a real eye vs. concept eye

I sill have faith that something final would come out of this thread. It has to! :|
Vapavite

Post by Vapavite »

Salut,

Pourquoi pas,
ClairFonce.jpg
ClairFonce.jpg (42.12 KiB) Viewed 3289 times
ClairFonceIco.jpg
ClairFonceIco.jpg (41.02 KiB) Viewed 3289 times
OU, (budz45 et Co)
Changer la forme des cils de votre projet pourrait être une idée :!:
(Changing the shape of the lashes of your project might be an idea!)
Vapavite @+
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

I guess the decision on a final design was made!

I downloaded the Mac packages on my Windows XP and extracted it
(XnViewMP-mac.zip\XnViewMP-032.app\Contents\Resources\xnview.icns)

and found...

Well done to everyone, esp. Thibaud, who contributed on this topic. :wink:
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Another OS mock-preview of how it would look:
converted .icns in 0.32 Mac's beta to .ico
(click images to enlarge)

In fact the new icon designed by Thibaud and selected by Pierre is an exact refelction of an earlier opinion I had of how the new icon should look like, as quoted below:
budz45 wrote:
Guys, I'm an Opera user and since version 10.0 final you will notice the "O" logo was revamped slightly, nothing big, but the "O" logo is now more bolder and stands out. Like the Opera logo design enhancement, the Xnview 'eye' logo could get this treatment to (it's not a complete redsign). I think that there is no rush needed at this moment for such thing.
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... =15#p80265

Now also what about a newer polished variant of the classic XnView button-ized second logo. The idea suddenly struck me when I was on some website and I saw a logo for the CNET TechTracker.

So this alternate XnView logo (button-ized) that I'm talking about;

...Becomes this:
which would still have it's use on such things like XnView Shell Extension :wink:

I think this would be good for the second XnView logo
Last edited by budz45 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Pierre said that a new logo should be similar to old and it should look as eye.

Old logo is not bad, large logo is perfect, but smaller logos are just resized and therefore they look just too bad.

The new "chicken" logo is not good for XnView! It looks too "chicken", it's not similar to old logo, it doesn't look as eye. It would be perfect for the game called Moorhuhn, but definitely not for the best image viewer software!

Nothing against your work, I can't create a new logo, but it's my opinion, doesn't matter if I'm the only one.
Dreamer
Troken

Post by Troken »

Dreamer wrote:Nothing against your work, I can't create a new logo, but it's my opinion, doesn't matter if I'm the only one.
I dont agree with all your points, but with some. I think the new logo is ok, but too much of a compromise between the nice new suggestions and the old logo. However, I think that Thibaud has made a great job, but cant be easy with all different opinions. And I think the old colors (red and orange) should be updated, really liked some of the latest suggestions. Red eye... dunno. So there you go... one opinion more! :)