How do you set up a menu commmand for MP?

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

kcredden

How do you set up a menu commmand for MP?

Post by kcredden »

Hi folks:

Just got MP installed, and it works fine, using the terminal command: ./xnview.sh - I've tried to set up a simple menu item in the menu, with the same, but either it doesn't work period, or gives me something like 'Can't start the child process' error.

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04/Gnome, and the latest version of XnviewMP. Can you advise me? I hope that I can finally use Xnview in linux. It's invaluable in Windows, and Linux has NOTHING even close to Xnview.

- Kc
oops66
XnThusiast

Re: How do you set up a menu commmand for MP?

Post by oops66 »

Hello,
You have to modify the xnview.sh file first, then create a menu launcher...
see here: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... 915#p77915
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
kcredden

Re: How do you set up a menu commmand for MP?

Post by kcredden »

Thanks for the help. When I changed the .SH file with the one suggested by Pierre, it worked out.

For others who may need help, here is how I did I put this on the main menu of Ubuntu. Mine is: Ubuntu 9.04/Gnome 2.26.1 (current to 28 Oct 2009)

Go to the Applications menu (top left hand corner of your desktop)

right click on applications and scroll down to edit menus

On the left columns, go to 'graphics' and click on it.

If XnView MP isn't already in this, go to 'new item' button. If it is, click on the Xnview MP item, then click on properties. (after this, it's virtually the same)

You'll get a Launcher properties menu system.

In 'Name' put in Xnview MP' (or if it's already there, ignore)

in command field. Click the browse button, go to the directory in which you put Xnview, then click on the xnview.sh program file. Not xnview (which may be marked executable.)

The command field should be filled with a URL, plus the xnview.sh name.

Press close
Then close again.

Try it.

If it doesn't work, come here :)

Now a great THANK YOU for the programmer of Xnview. I've been on Linux for the better part of a year, and there is basically no program that can replace XnView. (The closest is 'gthumb' and it's not great.) Now if only the programmer could write a good file manager, AND a web writing program like Dreamweaver, then I'd be in pure linux heaven. :)

BTW I want to also note, that usually I prefer a .DEB or synaptic install. But this type of install is just fine. So long as I can open the compressed file, put the program somewhere, and get a link that will work. So if the v1 program is like this, that's fine with me. I just ask that the programmer stay away from dependency hell, even if it means Xnview has to be a 30meg download.
oops66 wrote:Hello,
You have to modify the xnview.sh file first, then create a menu launcher...
see here: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... 915#p77915