rc1: moving files crashes program.

Bugs and Issues in 1.82 Test versions which have been fixed and verified as resolved.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

marsh
XnThusiast

rc1: moving files crashes program.

Post by marsh »

Sometimes when using ms-explorer to move files one directory to another. Xnview crashes. It has crashed also when moving files with <alt m>. I cannot discover steps yet to recreate problem. I encourage all to look for it (shortcuts, wavs, any format you can think of).
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

I cannot reproduce this bug.
Might be a shell extension problem?
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

ckit wrote:I cannot reproduce this bug.
Might be a shell extension problem?
I don't know. I've seen it couple of times lately. Very infrequent. I hope someone else can recreate this. I'm not using any seperate Xnview shell extension, just the viewer.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

I use FileAnlyzer, PDFCreator, Send To Toys, WinRAR and XnView shell extensions.

Does this crash produce a Dr Watson log?
If it does, it's a very serious crash.
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

ckit wrote:I use FileAnlyzer, PDFCreator, Send To Toys, WinRAR and XnView shell extensions.

Does this crash produce a Dr Watson log?
If it does, it's a very serious crash.
Oh yes. Thanks for tips.

Crash on first attempt today!:
1. Use details view.
2. Scan headers on.
3. C:\in\test\g\L had 104 jpgs of 45 megs.
4. With Xnview in background I go to ms-explorer (I have 2 of these open).
5. Select everything in C:\in\test\g\L
6. Move everything to C:\in\test\g2
7. *Crash*
I have xnview.ini, drwatson.log, and crash dump available if wanted.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

- I still can't reproduce this.
- Were you using "Drag and Drop" or "Move To" function in Windows Explorer?
- Try defragging your HDD too.
- Test your computers memory with "Ultimate Boot CD" - http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

I do admit I use to have a bug just like this, can't remember what I did about it.

TIP:
Don't ever use Windows Explorer, it's tied to Internet Explorer and therefore carries the same bugs as it.
Use xplorer2 Lite (freeware), xplorer2 Pro (shareware) or Total Commander (shareware)
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

ckit wrote:- I still can't reproduce this.
- Were you using "Drag and Drop" or "Move To" function in Windows Explorer?
- Try defragging your HDD too.
- Test your computers memory with "Ultimate Boot CD" - http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

I do admit I use to have a bug just like this, can't remember what I did about it.

TIP:
Don't ever use Windows Explorer, it's tied to Internet Explorer and therefore carries the same bugs as it. Use xplorer2 or Total Commander.
I was using <ctrl x> then <ctrl y> on other win-explorer. Newly formatted, installed, patched win2k. I'll check my computer memory soon. I'll look at win-explorer alternatives as well.

Update (crash on try#2).
a. Ctrl x in details view file-list of all same above files.
b. ctrl y to ms exlorer *crash*.
My newsreader (unrelated program) was using about 200 megs of memory at the time.

Update (crash on try#3).
1. Now turn off autorefresh.
2. Ctrl x in details view file-list of all same above files.
3. ctrl y to ms exlorer *no crash*, but:
4. Press <f5> in browser to refresh list *crash*

Conclusion: Xnview has faulty browser refresh.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

I still can't produce this bug.
You'll have to wait and see if anyone else can reproduce it.

Just off-topic, my Win2k is heavily tweaked in the way it uses memory.
So my results may always be different.

BTW:
your newsreader is a POS!

Update 1:
Do you have IE 6.0 SP1 installed?
If not, install it!
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

ckit wrote: Update 1:
Do you have IE 6.0 SP1 installed?
If not, install it!
No, I only use built-in IE (Firefox for the interweb). As you say, its someone elses turn.
ckit wrote: BTW:
your newsreader is a POS!
Its Xnews. I love its GUI and customization features. If only NNTP were used here again... :)
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

Theres a very strong chance your problem does lie with IE 5.01 SP4.
I avoided upgrading to IE 6.0 SP1 for a while too but gave in due to security concerns.

My active browser is Firefox 1.5 final, soon to be 1.5.01.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: rc1: moving files crashes program.

Post by xnview »

marsh wrote:Sometimes when using ms-explorer to move files one directory to another. Xnview crashes. It has crashed also when moving files with <alt m>. I cannot discover steps yet to recreate problem. I encourage all to look for it (shortcuts, wavs, any format you can think of).
I can't reproduce it by moving files with ms explorer.
Pierre.
sullysnet

Post by sullysnet »

I get the same issue with moving files from one folder to the other. Also I sometimes move the files while making a folder on the fly. After it prompts me "THere is no folder with that name do you want to create it" after it performs that task and moves the files, then it refreshes. On that refresh it crashes. I have done it many times and I am back to the release before this one and I doesn't happen there
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

sullysnet wrote:I get the same issue with moving files from one folder to the other. Also I sometimes move the files while making a folder on the fly. After it prompts me "THere is no folder with that name do you want to create it" after it performs that task and moves the files, then it refreshes. On that refresh it crashes. I have done it many times and I am back to the release before this one and I doesn't happen there
It crashes when 104 files are in my browser list every time. It does not crash when my browser list has 20 files to refresh.
Application exception occurred:
App: (pid=576)
When: 1/15/2006 @ 21:00:43.313
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

marsh wrote:
sullysnet wrote:I get the same issue with moving files from one folder to the other. Also I sometimes move the files while making a folder on the fly. After it prompts me "THere is no folder with that name do you want to create it" after it performs that task and moves the files, then it refreshes. On that refresh it crashes. I have done it many times and I am back to the release before this one and I doesn't happen there
It crashes when 104 files are in my browser list every time. It does not crash when my browser list has 20 files to refresh.
Application exception occurred:
App: (pid=576)
When: 1/15/2006 @ 21:00:43.313
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)
Do you have enabled the cache? Do you have the same problem without cache?
Pierre.
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

xnview wrote: Do you have enabled the cache? Do you have the same problem without cache?
I was not using any caches. It also crashes with thumbnail cache on. It makes no difference.