b1: F9 GDI Leak

Bugs and Issues in 1.82 Test versions which have been fixed and verified as resolved.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

marsh
XnThusiast

b1: F9 GDI Leak

Post by marsh »

When changing views using F9, the GDI object count permanently increases. I don't really know what that means, but I believe it can cause minor annoyances. Several days ago, I saw information text disappear while scrolling picture- the object count was 350 at the time.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

Using Process Explorer 9.25, I can confirm this leak.
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
ckv

Post by ckv »

Confirmed (only in beta)! Memory leak while changing browser view mode. Marsh you are doing very valuable job for XnView by detecting memory leaks. :D Keep up the good job.
marsh wrote:I don't really know what that means, but I believe it can cause minor annoyances.
Marsh check this out: http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issue ... fault.aspx
Basically it's just graphics interface objects what are not released when they are no longer needed.

These leaks can cause lot of problems, especially in Windows 98 what haves limited resource memory.
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: b1: F9 GDI Leak

Post by xnview »

marsh wrote:When changing views using F9, the GDI object count permanently increases. I don't really know what that means, but I believe it can cause minor annoyances. Several days ago, I saw information text disappear while scrolling picture- the object count was 350 at the time.
Right, dangerous!
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

ckv wrote:... Marsh you are doing very valuable job for XnView by detecting memory leaks. :D Keep up the good job.
I strongly agree, very helpful and important. Thank you, marsh! :-)

Just yesterday I have received a mail which reports several people experiencing problems on Windows 98 SE. Perhaps this is the reason for the problem.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:
ckv wrote:... Marsh you are doing very valuable job for XnView by detecting memory leaks. :D Keep up the good job.
I strongly agree, very helpful and important. Thank you, marsh! :-)
THANKS too :-)
Just yesterday I have received a mail which reports several people experiencing problems on Windows 98 SE. Perhaps this is the reason for the problem.
Do you know more?
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:
helmut wrote:Just yesterday I have received a mail which reports several people experiencing problems on Windows 98 SE. Perhaps this is the reason for the problem.
Do you know more?
Sometimes XnView 1.80 is completely blocked and has to be killed when browsing on Windows 98 SE. According to Mr. Roentz who has reported the problem this did not happen in XnView 1.74 or before. I'll send you a mail with some more details. I've asked Mr. Roentz to check with Beta2 (once the new Beta is available).
Last edited by helmut on Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ckv

Post by ckv »

helmut wrote:Just yesterday I have received a mail which reports several people experiencing problems on Windows 98 SE. Perhaps this is the reason for the problem.
Hmm good to know. I have currently possibility to test XnView in windows 98, windows 2000 and windows XP :D
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

The GDI Handles counter goes up slower with XnView 1.82 beta 2 so I'm not sure if this is fixed or not.
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
ckv

Post by ckv »

ckit wrote:The GDI Handles counter goes up slower with XnView 1.82 beta 2 so I'm not sure if this is fixed or not.
Confirmed. Still leaking GDI objects.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ckv wrote:
ckit wrote:The GDI Handles counter goes up slower with XnView 1.82 beta 2 so I'm not sure if this is fixed or not.
With F9?
Pierre.
ckv

Post by ckv »

xnview wrote:With F9?
Yeah. Does it matter? It leaks when the browser view mode is changed with F9 or using the menu or what ever means possible.

Edit: I made some testing and it seems that the leak is in the folder thumbnails. If folders are disabled in thumbnail view mode, it doesn't leak GDI objects. Can someone confirm?

By the way. Where did the option to disable the 4in1 folder thumbnails go? I can't find it.
Clo
XnThusiast

Invisible---

Post by Clo »

:arrow: ckv

:) Hello !
By the way. Where did the option to disable the 4in1 folder thumbnails go? I can't find it.
- Same here, I couldn't discover where such an option is located…

- I didn't find out a new "hidden" INI entry instead (that should do the trick, though…)

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
helmut

Post by helmut »

ckv wrote:
xnview wrote:With F9?
Yeah. Does it matter? It leaks when the browser view mode is changed with F9 or using the menu or what ever means possible.

Edit: I made some testing and it seems that the leak is in the folder thumbnails. If folders are disabled in thumbnail view mode, it doesn't leak GDI objects. Can someone confirm?

In category "Browser > Files displayed" of options you can enable/disable thumbnail creation for folders.
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

xnview wrote:
ckv wrote:
With F9?
Beta2 F9 GDI Leak is caused by "Use Shadow". Also you must have a picture previewed in browser window at the time.