b1: [Req] Order of categories 'File list', ...

Bugs and Issues in 1.82 Test versions which have been fixed and verified as resolved.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

b1: [Req] Order of categories 'File list', ...

Post by helmut »

In 1.82 Beta 1, the order of the categories in options dialog is:

Code: Select all

Browser
  +- Files displayed
  +- Open action
  +- File list
I propose the following order:

Browser
  +- File list
  +- Files displayed
  +- Open action
Also I wonder whether "File Filter" would be a better expression than "Files displayed".
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:Also I wonder whether "File Filter" would be a better expression than "Files displayed".
No, filter means "disable", it could be confusing (also in other languages), therefore it was removed. But, maybe another term should be find...
FlorianH

Post by FlorianH »

I agree to the reordering request from helmut.

Concerning the wording 'File List' i think something like 'File List Settings' or 'File List Options' would be better (but perhaps you don't want the word settings/options because we are in options dialog and it's some kind of duplication here?!).
I think the word 'File List' is ok, because i find there the settings for file list panel (not any option concerning the preview panel). Perhaps we should move the category 'Preview' closer to 'File List' (another reordering)? Or we should name them 'File List Panel' and 'Preview Panel'.

BTW: Why is the L in 'File List' uppercase? Shouldn't it be 'File list' (lowercase l)?
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thank you, Florian and Dreamer for your feedback. I still think that File filter would be o.k., the filter is just something that filters and does not say what is filter out and what not.

Another approach:

Browser
  +- File list
        +- Files
        +- Open action
The file list can be understood as control, and as the list of files. And it contains files and these files can be opened. So I've put them as sub category of "File list".
FlorianH

Post by FlorianH »

helmut wrote:Another approach:

Browser
  +- File list
        +- Files
        +- Open action
The file list can be understood as control, and as the list of files. And it contains files and these files can be opened. So I've put them as sub category of "File list".
What is 'Files'? Is it the existing category 'Files displayed'?

I think i like the approach. Seeing it from this point of view, i ask myself if the thumbnail category should be a sub-category of the File list. Like this:

Browser
  +- File list
    |- Files displayed (?)
    |- Open action
    +- Thumbnail
I am oriented on the layout of the browser. User wants to set options for browser mode and he has three areas in mind (tree view, file list and preview). So it's perhaps the easiest way to direct him to the appropriate options.
Therefore i called the categories 'file list panel' and 'preview panel' in my previous post (i not sure if panel is the right word). The downside of this solution is the deep structure in the options tree (thumbnail has 2 sub-categories).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:Thank you, Florian and Dreamer for your feedback. I still think that File filter would be o.k., the filter is just something that filters and does not say what is filter out and what not.

Another approach:

Browser
  +- File list
        +- Files
        +- Open action
No please no sub category
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: b1: [Req] Order of categories 'File list', ...

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:I

Browser
  +- File list
  +- Files displayed
  +- Open action
I like this one, and you?
Pierre.
helmut

Re: b1: [Req] Order of categories 'File list', ...

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:
helmut wrote:I

Browser
  +- File list
  +- Files displayed
  +- Open action
I like this one, and you?
O.k., perhaps too many subcategories. The above solution would be also good (or at least better than what we have in beta1).
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:
helmut wrote:Thank you, Florian and Dreamer for your feedback. I still think that File filter would be o.k., the filter is just something that filters and does not say what is filter out and what not.

Another approach:

Browser
  +- File list
        +- Files
        +- Open action
No please no sub category
I agree, no sub category! I think we should remove another existing sub-category too, I'll start a new topic soon.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Order changed, that's all Helmut?
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer wrote:Order changed, that's all Helmut?
O.k. for me.

:arrow: Closed.