b1: Batch Convert - wrong placement of options

Bugs and Issues in 1.82 Test versions which have been fixed and verified as resolved.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

b1: Batch Convert - wrong placement of options

Post by Dreamer » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:46 am

Options "Export batch for NConvert" and "Script" should be placed vice versa, since just Transformations are used for Script, therefore Script should be placed in Transformations tab.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 32052
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: B1: Batch Convert - wrong placement of options

Post by xnview » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:11 am

Dreamer wrote:Options "Export batch for NConvert" and "Script" should be placed vice versa, since just Transformations are used for Script, therefore Script should be placed in Transformations tab.
I disagree, you must a quick access to history/load/save i think...
Pierre.

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Re: B1: Batch Convert - wrong placement of options

Post by Dreamer » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:32 am

xnview wrote:
Dreamer wrote:Options "Export batch for NConvert" and "Script" should be placed vice versa, since just Transformations are used for Script, therefore Script should be placed in Transformations tab.
I disagree, you must a quick access to history/load/save i think...
Maybe, but it could be confusing for users, since they could expect that also paths, formats... are saved to Script.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 32052
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: B1: Batch Convert - wrong placement of options

Post by xnview » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:43 am

Dreamer wrote:
xnview wrote:
Dreamer wrote:Options "Export batch for NConvert" and "Script" should be placed vice versa, since just Transformations are used for Script, therefore Script should be placed in Transformations tab.
I disagree, you must a quick access to history/load/save i think...
Maybe, but it could be confusing for users, since they could expect that also paths, formats... are saved to Script.
So Export must be on the first page???
Pierre.

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:31 pm

Here is one picture from long thread about it:
Image

And here is the original topic link (to 3rd page with more pictures).

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 32052
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:07 pm

Dreamer wrote:Here is one picture from long thread about it:

And here is the original topic link (to 3rd page with more pictures).
But for a quick access to history, it's bad to have it on second page, i think!
Pierre.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8174
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:50 pm

xnview wrote:
Dreamer wrote:Here is one picture from long thread about it:

And here is the original topic link (to 3rd page with more pictures).
But for a quick access to history, it's bad to have it on second page, i think!
It's a slower access, but quicker as it is more intuitive and you have to think less. ;-) I wonder what people think who use saved scripts heavily.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 32052
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:25 pm

helmut wrote:
xnview wrote:
Dreamer wrote:Here is one picture from long thread about it:

And here is the original topic link (to 3rd page with more pictures).
But for a quick access to history, it's bad to have it on second page, i think!
It's a slower access, but quicker as it is more intuitive and you have to think less. ;-) I wonder what people think who use saved scripts heavily.
Yes, do you want history/script on first page or not??
Pierre.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8174
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:50 pm

xnview wrote:
helmut wrote:
xnview wrote: But for a quick access to history, it's bad to have it on second page, i think!
It's a slower access, but quicker as it is more intuitive and you have to think less. ;-) I wonder what people think who use saved scripts heavily.
Yes, do you want history/script on first page or not??
Sure enough, if history was on first page, "Open" and "Save" button would also go to first page. But as written above, this would be wrong.

marsh
XnThusiast
Posts: 2443
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 6:31 am

Post by marsh » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:06 pm

It would be strange to place Nconvert option (secondary program) on front page ahead of script.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8174
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:31 pm

marsh wrote:It would be strange to place Nconvert option (secondary program) on front page ahead of script.
It would be correct to place Nconvert option on first page.

Just a section of the discussion in long topic "Save As" for Browser vs. Batch Convert:

"I was about writing something like "I see no reason why "Advanced operations" tab and "Scripts" tab should be mixed into one tab." Before finishing the sentence I checked to see what is contained in the .xbs file. The .xbs file contains the list of advanced operations (=transformations) and the parameters, only. The list of files is not contained. So in fact it's not a script but simply a list of transformations which is saved and loaded. The term "Script" is not quite right, I think. Placing it on the "Transformation" page and renaming it to something like "Load transformations..." and "Save Transformations..." (or simply "Load..." and "Save...") would make this clear.

The "Export as NConvert script..." button is difficult. The script exported for NConvert is actually a real Batch script and will contain both transformations and the list of files. So I'm not sure whether the position on the "Transformation" tab is good."
>>

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:15 am

Maybe "Save last used tab" would help to users who do advanced actions (resize...) often, with the same output options. They could just select images, press Ctrl+U and choose (and also check!) script.

With this option also last used script could be used automatically and then it would be even easier - select images, ctrl+u, enter, select other images, ctrl+u, enter... Focus should be on script list, so that mouse wheel and up/down keys could be pressed, but also Enter.

So it would be correct and also more useful and faster.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 32052
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:22 pm

helmut wrote:
marsh wrote:It would be strange to place Nconvert option (secondary program) on front page ahead of script.
It would be correct to place Nconvert option on first page.

Just a section of the discussion in long topic "Save As" for Browser vs. Batch Convert:

"I was about writing something like "I see no reason why "Advanced operations" tab and "Scripts" tab should be mixed into one tab." Before finishing the sentence I checked to see what is contained in the .xbs file. The .xbs file contains the list of advanced operations (=transformations) and the parameters, only. The list of files is not contained. So in fact it's not a script but simply a list of transformations which is saved and loaded. The term "Script" is not quite right, I think. Placing it on the "Transformation" page and renaming it to something like "Load transformations..." and "Save Transformations..." (or simply "Load..." and "Save...") would make this clear.

The "Export as NConvert script..." button is difficult. The script exported for NConvert is actually a real Batch script and will contain both transformations and the list of files. So I'm not sure whether the position on the "Transformation" tab is good."
>>
Yes, i agree. But for user that use often same script, it's not easily if history/load/save is on second page...
Pierre.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8174
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Dreamer wrote:Maybe "Save last used tab" would help to users who do advanced actions (resize...) often, with the same output options. They could just select images, press Ctrl+U and choose (and also check!) script.
..
I agree, with some additional rule: If nothing has been selected, the first tab must be opened (since user will have to add files). Otherwise the last tab used should be opened.

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:18 am

helmut wrote:
Dreamer wrote:Maybe "Save last used tab" would help to users who do advanced actions (resize...) often, with the same output options. They could just select images, press Ctrl+U and choose (and also check!) script.
..
I agree, with some additional rule: If nothing has been selected, the first tab must be opened (since user will have to add files). Otherwise the last tab used should be opened.
Helmut - of course.

Pierre, do you agree too? It's also answer to this question:
xnview wrote:...But for user that use often same script, it's not easily if history/load/save is on second page...
Just one thing - "Save last used tab" should be added as option, since some users don't use advanced operations often, they just convert images, for them opening a second tab is not good. There should be ability to choose this behavior.

Locked