4 thumbnails in 1 folder icon

Bugs and Issues in 1.82 Test versions which have been fixed and verified as resolved.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

MapmuH

4 thumbnails in 1 folder icon

Post by MapmuH »

Hello, everyone, that's my 1st post here.
I think you all know folders icons with thumbnails of pictures form inside the folder (for sure it's WinXP feature) I would like to see these in XnView and I don't know if it's matter of Win or XnView settings. Could anybody help me?
helmut

Re: 4 thumbnails in 1 folder icon

Post by helmut »

MapmuH wrote:Hello, everyone, that's my 1st post here.
Welcome, MapmuH, in the XnView forum!
MapmuH wrote:I think you all know folders icons with thumbnails of pictures form inside the folder (for sure it's WinXP feature) I would like to see these in XnView and I don't know if it's matter of Win or XnView settings. Could anybody help me?
Thank you for suggesting this feature, which would indeed be nice and useful. This is a matter of XnView but in 1.74 and 1.80 this is not supported, yet.
Last edited by helmut on Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loth___

Re: [REQ] 4 thumbnails in 1 folder icon

Post by loth___ »

MapmuH wrote:I think you all know folders icons with thumbnails of pictures form inside the folder
i'd love to see that feature too.
actually, i'm missing it very much.
i use 200x200px thumbs and xnview shows very small folder-icons, with nothing in it, so this is a waste space and information 8-)

besides that. it would be useful to custimize the number of thumbs in a folder-icon.
i.e. if the user likes one big thumb or some more thumbs onto the folder-icon.

also it would be very useful to let the user choose, what way xnview takes the thumbs. i.e. only the first X pictures will go to the folder-icon, or some random pictures, which could give a more realistic overview of the folder content. (useful with the upper option)

also there will be some questions about showing folder-icons with thumbs of other folder-icons with thumbs which showing folder-icons with thumbs :-)

loth
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

I support this request.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

This is a high-priority request for me. I have hundreds of image folders... so many that I have given up inventing names for them and just use the digital camera filename of the base photo for the folder which contains it.

It is intimidating (and pretty much useless) to open the browser and see the screen fill with folder icons and cryptic names, so I FULLY SUPPORT this request.

It would be great to be able to override a default of four automatically selected images with one (or two or four) I select manually. In use, I probably don't need four little pics except for a few miscellaneous folders. One pic on each folder would do it for me most of the time...

VERY IMPORTANT that these folder pics be stored in the thumbnail cache.
John
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

A second request related to this...

It would be great if, when I select a folder in the browser, the thumbnails in that folder would appear in the preview screen.

I realize this is redundant functionality (just showing the tree and clicking through its folders shows their thumbs) but the thumbnail panel + pics on folders + thumbnails in preview panel would be very useful for me.

The thumbs in the preview panel could be just the images themselves (no image data) and there would be no necessity for them to respond to mouse clicks.
John
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

I have hundreds of image folders... so many that I have given up inventing names for them and just use the digital camera filename of the base photo for the folder which contains it.
Slightly Out of Topic, but I guess that the main improvement could come from a better management of files/photos themselves (names, folders, tracking different versions of the same photo, IPTC, Back-Up, Workflow, etc...)

This would be a great subject for a FAQ, and I'll try to come with some suggestions soon.

Olivier
PS: I don't show folders at all, but those are good suggestions
klumy

Post by klumy »

I support this reauest, too
XNView 1.91.5
Windows XP SP3
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

MapmuH wrote:Hello, everyone, that's my 1st post here.
I think you all know folders icons with thumbnails of pictures form inside the folder (for sure it's WinXP feature) I would like to see these in XnView and I don't know if it's matter of Win or XnView settings. Could anybody help me?
Ok, i'll try to add this feature in next release.
Pierre.
ckv

Post by ckv »

xnview wrote:Ok, i'll try to add this feature in next release.
Whoa! Are you serious? You are the best Pierre.
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ckv wrote:
xnview wrote:Ok, i'll try to add this feature in next release.
Whoa! Are you serious? You are the best Pierre.
Not 1.81, but next big release :-)
Pierre.
Ren0

Post by Ren0 »

So... waiting for XNView 2.0 :(
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Ren0 wrote:So... waiting for XNView 2.0 :(
Will be added in next 1.82
Pierre.
Dreamer