*** How XnView testing is done ***

Bugs and Issues in 1.82 Test versions which have been fixed and verified as resolved.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

*** How XnView testing is done ***

Post by helmut »

Dear XnView users and testers,

some people know the testing procedure already from 1.82 testing, we will apply the same procedure during 1.90 testing.

We will use this forum for testing and feedback of version 1.90 betas and release candidates. For easier handling of the bugs reported we have created several forum groups which reflect the status of the issues reported.

Forum groups for testing
There are the following groups for testing:

- Open/New
You can report new issues and bugs regarding 1.90 in group "Open/New". When posting, please use the prefix "B<x>:" and "RC<x>:" as prefixes for Betas and Release candidates, where <x> is the number of the beta or release candidate respectively. E.g. "B1: blablabla" is a bug report for XnView 1.90 Beta1.

- Confirmed
Other people (or Pierre) will try to reproduce the problem that a person has found and write a post "I confirm" or similar in the same topic. Moderators will then move this topic to the group "Confirmed". Once it's a confirmed problem it will be fixed by Pierre (at least he will try to do so).

- Fixed in <xx> (Not available yet)
This group is filled by Pierre when fixing bugs. Please note that the release containing the bug fixes is not available, yet.

- Retest (Fixed in <xx>)
Once a new release is available, all fixed bugs will need retesting. Depending on the result of the retesting the bug report either goes back to "New/Open" or to "Closed/Solved".

- Closed/Solved
This group will contain all solved bugs and answered issues.

- Postponed
Group "Postponed" is mainly for requests which will not make it into version 1.90.

Where's my bug report?
According to the status of your bug report we will move bug reports within the above mentioned forum groups without notification. We will not delete any post. If you can't find your bug report anymore, make sure that you look in all forum groups for testing ("New/Open", "Confirmed", ...). If you still cannot find it, you can use forum search and specify an author name.

How you can join testing
If you want to contribute to testing this is appreciated. If you do want to join testing, it is important that you are familiar with XnView. And for posting here you will have to register as forum user.

There are various possibilities for contributing:

- Reporting new bugs
When testing, make sure that you use the latest test version (beta or release candidates) available. If you find a bug, check the forum groups here to see whether it's a known bug. If yes, you can add an info telling that you did reproduce/experience the problem, too. If not, please start a new topic in forum group "New/Open". When reporting a new problem make sure that the steps you describe are clear and really lead to the problem.

- Reproducing reported bugs
You can check in group "New/Open" for reported problems and see whether you can reproduce a problem. If yes, you can write a short note "I confirm this problem" and/or add additional info how to reproduce the problem.

- Confirm bug fixing
Pierre will fix bugs and every now and then provide new versions (betas and release candidates). Whenever a new version is out, all the things claimed to be fixed need retesting. It helps a lot if the original bug poster verifies whether his/her problem is fixed or not. Sometimes the original bug poster does not find the time, in this case it helps if other people do the verification.

We hope that the groups make handling of bugs & issues for all of us easier. Thank you for your help!

Thank you & Greetings,

Pierre / Helmut / Dreamer / marsh / Olivier_G

PS: We are aware that there are tools around for bug reporting and tracking. For various reasons we have decided to use the forum for testing, again.
Koogle

Post by Koogle »

I'm surprised no one else has posted here.. to honest I haven't been around lately since the last Beta release and when this whole 1.90 forum section change.. it really put me off coming here, it just looks a like a complete mess really. Maybe it is helpful for mods and the devs' I dunno but for the average tester? bah.. Anyway I hope I post in the right sections :)
helmut

Post by helmut »

Koogle wrote:I'm surprised no one else has posted here.. to honest I haven't been around lately since the last Beta release and when this whole 1.90 forum section change.. it really put me off coming here, it just looks a like a complete mess really. Maybe it is helpful for mods and the devs' I dunno but for the average tester? bah.. Anyway I hope I post in the right sections :)
Thank you for your feedback, Koogle. At first glance, the structure and the forum groups might not be that clear, but it shouldn't be hard to understand how it works. Testers should understand the process anyway. Nevertheless your negative feedback makes me think. I'd be interested to know what you think about it once you have done testing for a couple fo days (if you have the time).

Sure enough the forum is not intended for bug tracking and handling bug reports is more complicated than in a real bug tracking system. But on the other hand forum users can easily join the testing and the discussion if they want. So there's pros and cons.

Once 1.90 testing is finished we will collect feedback from testers to see what we can improve in the next testing cycle. For now we will stick to the forum as means for testing.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Koogle wrote:I'm surprised no one else has posted here.. to honest I haven't been around lately since the last Beta release and when this whole 1.90 forum section change.. it really put me off coming here, it just looks a like a complete mess really. Maybe it is helpful for mods and the devs' I dunno but for the average tester? bah.. Anyway I hope I post in the right sections :)
It was confusing also to me, but it's much clearer than several topics in the single section with many different prefixes like: [1.80] [bug] [req] [fixed] [fixed?]...

However, perhaps some sections could be locked to make it a bit clearer:

- Confirmed/Reproduced
- Fixed in Beta3 (Not available, yet) (temporary)
- Postponed
Dreamer
Clo
XnThusiast

My 0.02 €

Post by Clo »

—> Dreamer

:) Hi !

• Though I'm not a member of the team, I give just my 0.02 € for a detail :

• I don't think that the section Confirmed¦Reproduced might be locked, because the users can test further, either in another way, or with another OS¦machine or both; then have some accuracies to add in their threads still…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
helmut

Re: My 0.02 €

Post by helmut »

Clo wrote:• Though I'm not a member of the team, I give just my 0.02 € for a detail :
Anyone posting here is more or less a member of the "team". ;-)
Clo wrote:• I don't think that the section Confirmed¦Reproduced might be locked, because the users can test further, either in another way, or with another OS¦machine or both; then have some accuracies to add in their threads still…
Right, locking is not a good idea. Perhaps highlighting those testing forums which can be written to might be a good idea. For example a suffix "***" in the forum name might point users to the right forums. This would roughly look like this:

1.90 - Info/Feedback
1.90 - New/Open ***
1.90 - Confirmed/Reproduced
1.90 - Retest (Fixed in Beta2) ***
1.90 - Fixed in Beta3 (Not available, yet)
1.90 - Retest (Fixed in Beta2)