Unicode support ?

Discussions on GFL SDK, the graphic library for reading and writing graphic files

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
Defenestration
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:08 pm

Unicode support ?

Post by Defenestration »

GFL has to be the premier image library for supported formats, but it does not support Unicode.

Is Unicode support planned in GFL any time soon ?
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 35454
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Unicode support ?

Post by xnview »

Defenestration wrote:GFL has to be the premier image library for supported formats, but it does not support Unicode.

Is Unicode support planned in GFL any time soon ?
I can add it easily for windows version, but utf8 is not better?
Pierre.
Defenestration
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:08 pm

Post by Defenestration »

It would be great if you could initially create a Unicode version for Windows (I assume you've used TCHAR internally, thereby allowing you to easily create a unicode version).

UTF-8 is generally used internally by most versions of Linux/Unix

UTF-16 is used internally by Windows, Java, .NET, MacOS X, KDE

UTF-8 and UTF-16 both have their advantages and disadvantages, so further thought is needed.

EDIT: BTW, any idea when you might release a Unicode version of GFL for Windows ?
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 35454
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview »

Defenestration wrote:EDIT: BTW, any idea when you might release a Unicode version of GFL for Windows ?
You means unicode version for gflLoadBitmap, gflSaveBitmap?
Pierre.
Defenestration
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:08 pm

Post by Defenestration »

Yes, and any other functions that have a path and/or filename as a parameter.
cengizhan
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:27 am

Post by cengizhan »

So because of lack of unicode support i couldnt open some files containing asian characters in thie file names ? If that is the case than please release a unicode version. 8)
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 35454
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview »

cengizhan wrote:So because of lack of unicode support i couldnt open some files containing asian characters in thie file names ? If that is the case than please release a unicode version. 8)
Ok, i'll add it in next release
Pierre.
Defenestration
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:08 pm

Post by Defenestration »

Thanks Pierre!
cengizhan
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:27 am

Post by cengizhan »

Thank you. With this i wont need any other image viewer. :D
Yeti
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Unicode support ?

Post by Yeti »

Well, it is a really old thread, but I would like to state that I would really really appreciate unicode support. XnView is a really great tool.
I however live in Japan and have may Japanese friends. When I try to open one of their pictures XnView will simply stalls or claims the file does not exist.

I know the step to support unicode is a major rework, But there are people out here who are really waiting for it!
_________________
Edit:

Ooops, I just found it... Thank you very much!

I'll start testing Testing the XnViewMP which should support Unicode :D

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewforum.php?f=60
minemax
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:42 am

Re: Unicode support ?

Post by minemax »

+1
User avatar
sprayer
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:43 am
Location: Russia

Re: Unicode support ?

Post by sprayer »

+100500
waiting very very long time, for now I have to use the standart windows viewer for Japanese pictures :(
Mii
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:09 am

Re: Unicode support ?

Post by Mii »

2007,2008,2009… 2014!!

How long do we have to expect such an important functional? You promised that since version 2.0 will be support UTF8. At this moment you had released version 2.13, but utf8 has no support. I waiting support utf8 for very long time… without it I can not read the manga and navigate my archive with japanese named files.

Is it so difficult to make a really critical thing, that you have been asked as much from 2007! We expect this for seven years, please have a mercy for your users :|
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 35454
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Unicode support ?

Post by xnview »

Mii wrote:2007,2008,2009… 2014!!

How long do we have to expect such an important functional? You promised that since version 2.0 will be support UTF8. At this moment you had released version 2.13, but utf8 has no support. I waiting support utf8 for very long time… without it I can not read the manga and navigate my archive with japanese named files.

Is it so difficult to make a really critical thing, that you have been asked as much from 2007! We expect this for seven years, please have a mercy for your users :|
you are in GFL forum! It's not possible to have good unicode support in XnView, XnViewMP has native unicode support
Pierre.
Mii
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:09 am

Re: Unicode support ?

Post by Mii »

xnview wrote:…XnViewMP has native unicode support
ok. i will try XnViewMP.
Post Reply