Requested Tool/Feature: Duplicate Finder

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView Classic which have been resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Technomancer

Requested Tool/Feature: Duplicate Finder

Post by Technomancer »

This is such an awesome program that I feel bad asking for more, but one of the first tools I looked for was a duplicate image finder. I often find that I will end up with duplicate images in the same folder (or different folders) with different names. One of my favorite tools of other programs is the ability to find all duplicates and then choose what to do with them (delete all but one(my choice which), or keep them). The ones I've seen have given the choice of searching a single directory, a single directory with subdirectories, or you can even choose multiple directories (with or without the subdirectories). The algorithm to implement this should not be difficult. I would imagine it would start with a file size comparison, then an image dimension comparision for identical files sizes, then a bit by bit comparison for anything that passed the first two tests.

Just something from my wish list, you do awesome work. Keep it up.

-Technomancer
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thank you for your (first) suggestion. A duplicate finder can be really a valuable thing and should become part of XnView. The charme of the duplicate finder is that it provides functionality without having much impact on other areas of XnView, it's almost full autarkic.

XnView DeLuxe built in a duplicate finder, already, so it might not be too far future that it makes it into XnView. :-)

Please see following topics for more information:
- What is XnView DeLuxe?
- Deluxe is dead, Hourra for XnView
- What do you want in the Next Version of XnView?
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

I support this request as well.
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Added to "Global Request & Suggestion list".
Georg

Post by Georg »

helmut wrote:XnView DeLuxe built in a duplicate finder, already, so it might not be too far future that it makes it into XnView. :-)
I didn't find more information on that feature. Is it dumb (100% binary identical) or medium intelligent (same pic in different formats/sizes/rotations/...) or really intelligent (recognizing multiple fotos taken with slightly different settings/angle/sun&shadow/...)?

I was checking out several image dupes finder, either extremely poor UI and workflow or no diverse settings or simply so dump they do not help. Thus my interest in the XnView Deluxe handling... Thanks, Georg
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

If you are interested, you should try 1.90 Alpha. Its 'Find Similar files' is quite good, already:
- based on Filename or file data(CRC) for exact copies
- based on Picture content (% similarity) for intelligent matching

Moreover, there is probably room for improvements, if you find some suggestions... :D
Olivier
GeorgD

Post by GeorgD »

Thanks for the 1.90 Alpha hint, I just gave it a try. My suggestion can be found at http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=37203#37203 (wanted to post in the right forum, as the suggestion only relates to that alpha version)
/Georg
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

Moved to closed, as it is implemented in v1.90 and other improvements have been suggested in a different thread.
Olivier