Option: Tagged file list must be cleared

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView Classic which have been resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

Option: Tagged file list must be cleared

Post by helmut »

In options dialog, category "Browser > Thumbnails > Icon info" there's a new setting "Tagged file list must be cleared". Here, the user can set the event that triggers the deletion of all tags (all tagged files are untagged).

Naming
I think a more precise naming than "Tagged file list must be cleared" should be found. Also, the naming should fit to the naming used in the menu "View > Tag > Clear all tags.

BTW: Is it "naming" or "wording" or "labeling"? Hmm...

Events
Currently the setting "Tagged file list must be cleared" can have the values:
Never

Currently I'm not clear what the value "After an operation" will do. I've tagged some files and created a file list (=operation?), but the files remained tagged. :?:

Perhaps a better, more consistent wording:

Never

Re: Option: Tagged file list must be cleared

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote: Currently I'm not clear what the value "After an operation" will do. I've tagged some files and created a file list (=operation?), but the files remained tagged. :?:
Batch rename/Batch convert/Copy to/Move to
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

So it should work like this?

- select 2 images form folder 1
- select 2 images form folder 2
- press Ctrl+U, or F2
= 4 images from both folders should be in the list, right?
= but there are just 2 images from the current folder in the list - is it a bug?? :bug:

I tried it with default settings and "Tagged file list must be cleared" on exit option.

What about Slideshow for example? And Ctrl+X/C/V? This is important for me, because I use mostly just these shortcuts.

Perhaps I don't understand this feature, but I thought it's mainly to copy/move images from several folders at once.

Edit: So I found the suggestion:

* Tag are now saved in category.db - http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=14165

"- Tags should not get lost when changing to a different directory. They should at least survive the current session. Example: you want to tag files in lots of different folders for a move or copy action to a new directory. It is cumbersome to copy/move the files each time you leave the current folder. It would be much easier if you need to do this only once."

So it looks it's a bug. :bug:
Dreamer
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote:So it should work like this?

- select 2 images form folder 1
- select 2 images form folder 2
- press Ctrl+U, or F2
= 4 images from both folders should be in the list, right?
= but there are just 2 images from the current folder in the list - is it a bug?? :bug:
No, after you select in categories/Tag the saved files (it's a temporary category)
Pierre.
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

This feature does not work as it should. Even with 'Never' selected ( which works correctly in terms of tagging that does not get lost), the 'Copy to folder' action only copies the tagged files that are currently viewed (from the current directory).

And Pierre, with all due respect, nobody can understand this sentence:

> No, after you select in categories/Tag the saved files (it's a temporary category)

What exactly did you want to tell us?
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

pic_viewer wrote:This feature does not work as it should. Even with 'Never' selected ( which works correctly in terms of tagging that does not get lost), the 'Copy to folder' action only copies the tagged files that are currently viewed (from the current directory).
Right. It looks like the new tag category contains only selection from current folder in beta1.
It can be seen in tree pane:
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

Aaaaahaaaaa! That means after tagging lots of different files I can view all tagged files in this folder (great feature!), and starting the 'Copy to' dialog then (of course) works. Finally I understood... :-)

But I think anyone else will miss this one. The 'global Copy to' action should also work without going to this folder first. IMHO.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

pic_viewer wrote:Aaaaahaaaaa! That means after tagging lots of different files I can view all tagged files in this folder (great feature!), and starting the 'Copy to' dialog then (of course) works. Finally I understood... :-)
Me too. :) Also Ctrl+X/C/V works this way.
pic_viewer wrote:But I think anyone else will miss this one. The 'global Copy to' action should also work without going to this folder first. IMHO.
Yes, I agree.

Perhaps there should be also another item in menu > Tag - "Show tagged files".

It's a very useful feature, but it might be more intuitive, perhaps also enabled by default (option "After an operation").

Another suggestion (I'll start the new topic for this).
Dreamer
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer wrote:... Perhaps there should be also another item in menu > Tag - "Show tagged files".
Handling the tagged files as categorized files is a possible but not too intuitive way. Adding a menu item "Show all tagged files" is a good and intuitive idea, Dreamer.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:
Dreamer wrote:... Perhaps there should be also another item in menu > Tag - "Show tagged files".
Handling the tagged files as categorized files is a possible but not too intuitive way. Adding a menu item "Show all tagged files" is a good and intuitive idea, Dreamer.
Ok, i add a menu item
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:Ok, i add a menu item
Good!