Watermark dialog: Spacing has wrong effect

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView Classic which have been resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

Watermark dialog: Spacing has wrong effect

Post by helmut »

When adding a watermark graphic, the spacing should be the spacing between the image's border and the watermark logo.

When setting position "Top-Left", horizontal spacing = 10, and vertical spacing = 10, the spacing is correct. When changing the position to "Bottom-Right" while keeping the spacing values results in a wrong spacing. :bug:

Positive values for spacing should always mean the same, i.e. that the watermark logo has a spacing towards the inner of "parent" image.

Negative values should be either forbidden (and not possible to enter), or it should mean that the watermark logo has a spacing towards the outer side.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Watermark dialog: Spacing has wrong effect

Post by xnview »

It's the reason of negative value. If it's spacing between image's border & watermark logo, you can't add only a portion of the logo...
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:It's the reason of negative value. If it's spacing between image's border & watermark logo, you can't add only a portion of the logo...
O.k.. As written above, values should always mean the same, i.e. positive values => spacing towards the inner of the image. Negative values => spacing towards the outer of the image. Currently the spacing is interpreted depending on the position of the image. :bug:
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:
xnview wrote:It's the reason of negative value. If it's spacing between image's border & watermark logo, you can't add only a portion of the logo...
O.k.. As written above, values should always mean the same, i.e. positive values => spacing towards the inner of the image. Negative values => spacing towards the outer of the image. Currently the spacing is interpreted depending on the position of the image. :bug:
So for center position, how is used spacing???
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:So for center position, how is used spacing???
Spacing is a mixture of real spacing and position.
For horizontal center position, positive horizontal values should move to the right and negative values to the left.

For vertical center position, positive vertical values should move towards top, negative values towards bottom (matching with standard [mouse] coordinates).

Does this sound consistent and reasonable?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:
xnview wrote:So for center position, how is used spacing???
Spacing is a mixture of real spacing and position.
For horizontal center position, positive horizontal values should move to the right and negative values to the left.
So strange for me.
top-left=>move to the right
top-center=>move to the right
top-right=>move to the left
Pierre.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

I agree with Helmut.
John
helmut

Post by helmut »

JohnFredC wrote:I agree with Helmut.
Thank you, John, for your opinion. At first (and when programming) it sounds complicated, but I think it's handy:
The main advantage is that you can change position from left to right while keeping the same spacing (and no manual adjustement from positive value to negative value).

Once this is implemented and provided as a test version we can try and see whether it's good or not.
Markus

Post by Markus »

In my opinion, current "Spacing" should be imagined as sor of "Position tune", that moves the watermark from its main location (top-left, etc...) to the direction on images coordinates, which starts from top-left corner (0,0).

It should NOT be changed to way that on top left increasing the spacing value moves the watermark to right and bottom and on bottom-right increasing the value would move the watermark to opposite direction... And how you could think with the "center"-option then?

So, the "Spacing" is the same as "Position tune", or something related that.

Some bugs: (?)
-Negative values does not have any effect below 0; effective values with the spacing are only 0 and above (in 1.92 beta2)

-Selecting "Auto View" places a watermark to image, which is correct, but unselecting "Auto View" does not have effect; Watermark still applies in preview.
Markus

Post by Markus »

Tested with XnView v1.92 beta 4:
Markus wrote:
Some bugs: (?)
-Negative values does not have any effect below 0; effective values with the spacing are only 0 and above (in 1.92 beta2)
Is fixed.

Markus wrote: -Selecting "Auto View" places a watermark to image, which is correct, but unselecting "Auto View" does not have effect; Watermark still applies in preview.
Still exists, not fixed.
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

Markus wrote: -Selecting "Auto View" places a watermark to image, which is correct, but unselecting "Auto View" does not have effect; Watermark still applies in preview.
Fixed. v.1.92
Watermark controls work perfectly, IMO. Top left is reference.