Web browsers

All non-XnView related: softwares, formats, imaging, photography...

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

JohnL

Web browsers

Post by JohnL »

following great support from the members here I would like to know what are the recomendations for good browsers ie firefox etc and why because information of advantages are few and far between?

JohnL
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

Firefox is very good. Easy to use, many features, highly customizeable. The main drawback is that it tends to be slow. Newer versions render pages quickly, but all versions take a bit to start up (although you can use the quick launch feature to speed things up).

Opera is pretty good. Easy to use, a lot of features, VERY fast, not very customizeable.

K-meleon is my personal fav. It uses the gecko engine (same one firefox uses), is highly customizeable, is extremely fast (opera is a little faster rendering pages, but KM is close). It's main drawback is availability of certain features.

Netscape and seamonkey are essentially the same, the only real difference is that netscape is more bloated. Both tend to be slow and awkard to figure out (they have buttons and controls in wierd places). I really wouldn't recommend either of them.

There are no other complete, full featured browsers for windows (except beonix, which is yet another seamonkey/netscape clone). There are a couple other complete browsers (off by one, lynx, etc), but they are not full featured (most of them lack javascript support, are buggy, and just scream "high school class project").

There are many programs that call themselves browsers, but the rest are merely frontends for IE, not complete browsers. These include the MSN browser, maxthon, avant, myIE, AM browser (formerly crazy browser), inettabs, slimbrowser, neoplanet, yahoo, aol, etc. These are all largely the same as each other. They have most of the same features and layout, although some of them have a couple features the others don't. All are an improvement over IE itself, but you're better off with a complete browser.

(FYI You can install as many browsers as you want, and use whatever, whenever. If you don't mind going through the download and install processes over and over, you can try each one personally.)
Oh the feuhrer, oh the feuhrer, oh the feuhrer's nipples bonk!
Clo
XnThusiast

A hot topic…

Post by Clo »

:) Hello John !

- You could also give a glance to this poll in the Total Commander Forum :wink:

Note : You can read only in that forum as guest… Posting needs to suscribe imperatively

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

Firefox Forever!
My fox sets IE on fire :)

Also, use FireTune to make Firefox work faster and smoother!
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

thanks guys, I have already downloaded and am using Firefox :)
Have to find my way around which is causing some headaches but hopefully I will get there :D

Whats the best email app' though? oops

I think its off to the Firefox forums 'cus I have even more questions ha ha :D

thanks again everyone

JohnL
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

Thunderbird is best for POP3 email but I use Firefox for GMail.
You can configure Thunderbird to do Gmail but then you can't use Gmail's archiving feature.
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

ckit wrote:You can configure Thunderbird to do Gmail but then you can't use Gmail's archiving feature.
  • Gmail:
    • Mail Settings
    • Forwarding and POP
    • POP Download
    • 2. When messages are accessed with POP: archive Google Mail's copy
  • Thunderbird:
    • Tools
    • Account Settings
    • Server Settings: Leave messages on server
Works like a charm for me ever since Gmail added support for POP3...
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I am into Thunderbird and up to now I have not encountered any problems - but its early days :)

ermm - whats Gmail? :)

JohnL
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

. . and where do I find out about Firetune - cant find it anywhere :(

JohnL
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

Gmail -> http://gmail.google.com/ (2.6Gb of space!)

FireTune -> http://www.totalidea.com/freestuff4.htm

Also, if you give me your current email address I can send you an invite to create an account.
I only have like a 100 of them :)
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

A better alternative for email is Foxmail (unrelated to firefox), which you can use IEpather on to make it use the gecko engine instead of IE's engine. It's tidier and faster than thunderbird, and it has a nice little insta-send feature wherein it acts as it's own SMTP server.
Oh the feuhrer, oh the feuhrer, oh the feuhrer's nipples bonk!